Change the rules just like that...?

sekkes85

So the NHL is now allowing an "accelerated buyout" for teams like the Montreal Canadiens to buyout players like Scott Gomez. The result might benefit the player as they will not have to stay home all year with the team fearing risk of injury (and thus unable to buy them out at end of season). I personally think this is a load of crap. Heres the article on TSN.... http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

I don't know. Seems pretty fair to me. Kinda sucks for a player to have to sit on the bench all year just because his team wants to make sure they can cut him lose at the end of the year.

Hey dude, sorry, not only will we not want you in June, we'll not want you so much in June that we'll play this whole shortened season without you in the lineup to make sure we can still get rid of you then.

The problem with that is that the contracts were offered and signed under one set of CBA rules and now they're being enforced under a completely different set of rules.

THAT's the insane part to me. You can't change the conditions of a contract. It's like signing a contract to pay me $5 for pint of Beer, and then someone makes a law that says it's illegal to sell Beer in Pints and expecting our original contract to remain valid somehow. Just doesn't make sense.

I think buyouts should be legal in every sport. It's totally fair to me. In the NFL you don't even have to buy the guy out, you can just dump him in most cases! Regardless of his contract.

Buyouts are fair in my opinion.

I know a lot of people like this buyout stuff but I really don't... If you give out these horrible contracts, or trade for them, you should have to be stuck with them. With that being said, who we buying out baby lmao

I don't know. Seems pretty fair to me. Kinda sucks for a player to have to sit on the bench all year just because his team wants to make sure they can cut him lose at the end of the year.

Hey dude, sorry, not only will we not want you in June, we'll not want you so much in June that we'll play this whole shortened season without you in the lineup to make sure we can still get rid of you then.

Wade Redden will "sit at home" (not the bench) and make $5M for doing - nothing. Redden has gotten $29M out of the deal thus far.

Scott Gomez will collect $5.5M to sit at home and not have an injury that is hockey-related. He's already collected $41.5M on the deal.

While it may pain me greatly, I will happily experience the sucktitude of sitting at home doing nothing for the low, low, bargain basement price of $2.5M. Pleased to be sending contract. :ph34r:

That said, the players are putting themselves in a position where the monies paid to buy out the player(s) and then salaries subsequently paid to them, will all count in the "player's share" of the "50/50" split. That could adversely affect the cap for all teams...

If you were a professional Hockey player over 30 you might prefer to return to the ice someplace and make 2/3 of your contract salary plus whatever your new team wants to pay you so you can not waste any more of your dwindling playing days because of stupid contract B.S..

I know I sure would.

I doubt it would untimately amount to a pay cut, but I'm guessing that at least Gomez (as I hear Redden has no heart) would take a pay cut to be out there playing.

While it may pain me greatly, I will happily experience the sucktitude of sitting at home doing nothing for the low, low, bargain basement price of $2.5M. Pleased to be sending contract.

If you were a professional Hockey player over 30 you might prefer to return to the ice someplace and make 2/3 of your contract salary plus whatever your new team wants to pay you so you can not waste any more of your dwindling playing days because of stupid contract B.S..

I know I sure would.

I doubt it would untimately amount to a pay cut, but I'm guessing that at least Gomez (as I hear Redden has no heart) would take a pay cut to be out there playing.

The Habs have given Gomez $24.5M over the past three seasons and have 21 goals and 87 points to show for it.

Over that period, 17 other players have scored more than 87 points - in a season.

I'm sure they would both like to be out there. I just hope to heaven above that it's not on the home team in Philadelphia.

And finding these "surprise!" rules in dribs and drabs sucks.

So would Tim Thomas have to be bought out now? Currently he is in a similar situation where Boston was planning to just pay him and take the cap hit this season and let him walk. I guess maybe they would prefer though to let him sit and trade him if possible by the trade deadline.

@hf101 Yeah, this new ruling may have the Bruins rethinking their options. The worst case for them would be Thomas saying he does not want to play this year, they buy him out and he patiently waits for a top goalie to go down and cherry picks a contender with no Tuka Rask in his way. Actually, the worst case for the Bruins would be a contender in the East. Who knows the Bruins shooters better than the guy who faced them in practice everyday....no way I'd let Thomas even think of doing that, imagine paying him millions to knock you out of the playoffs?...ha ha!

• Like 1

If Lundy ever sustained a serious injury, you can bet one of the very first calls the NYR would make is to a bought out Timmy Thomas.

So when you put it like that I doubt Boston will voluntarily buy him out. It will be interesting though if Thomas demands a buyout under the new rule changes.

Can a player be singed to another contract once they are bought out? And, if so, does the original team still have to pay the buyout money?

Knowing Holmgren, he'll buyout Shelley and Timmonen being that they are on the last year of their contracts. Then will be stuck with Yuri Gagarin in net till Claude Giroux has grandchildren. :ph34r:

Can a player be singed to another contract once they are bought out? And, if so, does the original team still have to pay the buyout money?

Yes they can sign another contract, but not with the same team.

i.e., the Flyers can't buyout Bryzgalov and then sign him to an even longer, more expensive contract - or even a shorter, less expensive one.

I tried to go with a ridiculous example...

The team has to give the player the buyout money to end the contractual relationship, and then the player is a free agent, able to sign with any other team.

@radoran

Wow! So, if some sad team is in need of a center, they can ink Gomez for pennies on the dollar and he still collects his $6.46mm for the year. Not too bad of a deal if you ask me.

If I were Holmgren, I would put the feelers out on Redden to see if he'd ink a one year 2mm deal the second Pronger's cap hit went on the LTIR.