Yet another reason to like Jags...

Guest JackStraw

Seems he doesn't like the shootout:

Yesterday, Jagr was quick to point out that he hasn't gone in on a shootout attempt "in 6 years" - though it appears that this is by choice.

"How do you know I am not good on the penalty kill?" Jagr asked. "I haven't played it in years. I started playing it before most of these guys were born. I'm not saying I'm in favor of it, but it's the same thing, I don't like backchecking. It's part of the game."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20111221_Giroux_appears_set_to_play_tonight_in_Dallas.html?page=1&c=y

And still another...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20111221_Jagr__Voracek_pay_tribute_to_Havel.html

They are just two letters, a "V" and "H," together on the back of his helmet. They sit inconspicuously across from the NHL shield that is stuck on every dome in the league.

The letters, worn by Flyers forwards Jaromir Jagr and Jakub Voracek, are the initials of Vaclav Havel, the former Czech Republic president who died Sunday. And they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Jagr, still his country's biggest pop-culture icon, is not just paying homage to the life of a courageous defender of freedom as his civic duty. He was a close friend of Havel.

"Our country is small, and hockey is pretty popular," Jagr said with deference. "Most of the time, people from government and sportsmen actually know each other a lot.

"I went to the White House three times - and all of them were with him. When he flew to the U.S. and went to the White House, I was with him then, too."

The jersey numbers of both Jagr and Voracek are a tribute to their homeland. Jagr's No. 68, his only number worn since 1990, is a tip of the cap to the year 1968, a fierce period of liberalization in his homeland - known as the "Prague Spring" - when citizens gained important rights from the crippling communist reign.

Voracek's No. 93, his number since 2008, pays homage to the year 1993, when Czechoslovakia peacefully split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Agreed. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Jagr as a person.

Remember when he was learning English? Somebody stuck a microphone at him and he said "Elvis has left the building.".

Yeah, I knew he was someone that had a broader view of the world than just sports. Still, it's easy to overlook that kind of thing when you just plain hate the guy.

Yeah, I knew he was someone that had a broader view of the world than just sports. Still, it's easy to overlook that kind of thing when you just plain hate the guy.

He continues to suprise. I never hated him. Never like him either. But now I like him. He's doing and saying all the right things. This team would be a much bigger mess right now without him.

I was definitely not happy when I heard we signed Jagr. I thought it was a huge waste of money. I am glad I was wrong about that and definitely have an appreciation for him now. So what does everyone think about giving him another year on the team? I know he is 39 but if he can keep this up past the trade deadline it might be a good indicator. It seem his influence has gone beyond his performance and more into the realm of example.

So what does everyone think about giving him another year on the team?

I say do it. Did you notice how happy he was for Giroux when Claude scored that first goal. Truly, genuinely happy for him. That's what he brings to this team. That and the awesome goal of his own he scored. I'd sign him for the next 5 years just to watch how he and Giroux play.

I agree. I never *hated* him the way I hated Barnaby, Kaspar, Stevens, etc., but I never liked him, either. I was unsure about signing him, never really thought of Jagr as a leader, but it seems to be working out so far. And if he's willing to go another 1 year contract, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea to bring him back.

that really is about it. Can he endure the entire season and be useful in the POs? The second question being almost a yes as long as the first is a yes. All of the other questions regarding this guy have been answered. I'd be all for giving this guy another go next year, and maybe the year after that BUT I'd only want them to do year to year contracts.