Flyers vs. Pens: NBC commercial says Flyers lost to Pitt

Digityman

From Broad Street Hockey

Remember last April when the Flyers beat the bloody hell out of the Penguins in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs? It was glorious and amazing and beautiful and other adjectives, and we wrote a lot about it.

I'm pretty sure we didn't make any of this up. I'm pretty sure we didn't just dream all of this. Right? RIGHT?!

But don't tell NBC. Watch the video above. It's a commercial that's been running ALL WEEK on NBC, NBC Sports Network and other NBCUniversal networks. For the video impaired:

.....And Claude Giroux and the Flyers have their sights set on revenge after last season's playoff loss to Pitt.

Here's what really happened:

That is just beyond embarrassing for the NHL'S partner to make that kind of mistake. Why don't they run an ad saying the Devils won the Cup as well? Who cares if it's Flyers/Pens....it's just a colossal mistake and should cost people their jobs. Especially given the lockout when they are trying to rebuild credibility and re-market the game.

• Like 2

Wow, fire that producer, and who the hell edited that ? NBC sports is in NY right? so no one in the approval process said um... wait a second, OR is NBC saving on costs and had that voice over from 08/09 and re used it.

either way, jobs will be lost over that.

These are the same jokers who were pushing the Manti T'eo dead girlfriend "story" incessantly - while not bothering to check ANY PART OF IT.

The Flyers/Pens series was the most dramatic of any first round matchup last season, and the NHL's media partner - that aired some of the games - doesn't even know who won it.

Awful and pathetic.

• Like 3

The Te'o story is HORRIBLE journalism, check your stuff before telling the nation. As for the Flyers gaffe, it proves that nobody in charge is a fan, or even watched that series....and the guy who proof reads the stuff before going on the air can't even bother to goggle it to confirm. This is bush league, stuff that should NEVER happen at a major network!

Sports media is getting out of hand and has zero credibility. NFL "insiders" are now just making things up.

Remember when Reid became the coach of the Cardinals?

Remember when O'Brien became an NFL head coach?

Remember when Chip Kelly became the head coach of the Browns?

Remember when Rob Ryan became the DC of the Rams?

None of that stuff happened, but it was reported as true. All that stuff was all but done. These guys are so concerned with breaking some kind of story that they don't care if its true or not.

P.S. I'm sure that NBC commercial is what that network wished would have happened.

I love sports, I hate sports media. Bunch of phonies chasing whoever is popular with the masses.

• Like 1

@Phillygrump I think part of the problem is the way information is so quickly transferred in the modern era. You never, ever hear who has the best coverage of an event or story, all that matters is who broke the story. So, the rush for free advertising (to avoid responsibility, other networks will say, "in a story broke by so and so" ) trumps the actual content of the story, and checking the facts is enough delay that somebody can beat you to it. Everytime your network or name is repeated, it's worth millions in free advertising, so breaking a story, to me at least, seems paramount to the success of a organization that is in the reporting business.

@Phillygrump I think part of the problem is the way information is so quickly transferred in the modern era. You never, ever hear who has the best coverage of an event or story, all that matters is who broke the story. So, the rush for free advertising (to avoid responsibility, other networks will say, "in a story broke by so and so" ) trumps the actual content of the story, and checking the facts is enough delay that somebody can beat you to it. Everytime your network or name is repeated, it's worth millions in free advertising, so breaking a story, to me at least, seems paramount to the success of a organization that is in the reporting business.

I think that's a myth. No way is a mention worth "millions." There is an obvious branding value, but it's not "millions."

And the branding value is incredibly reduced if the information you present is wrong.

Look at the ridiculous situation in the 2000 election coverage - where Gore won, then Bush won, then Gore won, then nobody won. Then Bush won. The networks effectively ended "exit polling" after that for a reason (my dad always had a maxim - "lie to pollsters").

It's *always* better to be second and right than first and wrong.

I can't tell you how many people where I worked were talking about "new Eagles coach" Gus Bradley yesterday. Of course, he's in Jacksonville now and Chip Kelly is head coach...

While I agree with your statement 100%, this is NOT the foundation of the media/modern journalism in the 21st century.

yeah - how's that working out for them?

newspapers and magzines are dying slow, agonizing deaths. cable news viewership is, at best, stable (and likely dropping).

Is there anyone on this board with a positive impression of the news media?

I heard a major national sports reporter from NBC say that he "reported" the Manti T'eo "story" on the BCS broadcast. By "reported" he meant "repeated things he had heard before without bothering to check any of them or note inconsistencies between stories."

Deadspin "reported" the story. Stenography is not "reporting."

yeah - how's that working out for them?

newspapers and magzines are dying slow, agonizing deaths. cable news viewership is, at best, stable (and likely dropping).

Is there anyone on this board with a positive impression of the news media?

I heard a major national sports reporter from NBC say that he "reported" the Manti T'eo "story" on the BCS broadcast. By "reported" he meant "repeated things he had heard before without bothering to check any of them or note inconsistencies between stories."

Deadspin "reported" the story. Stenography is not "reporting."

I doubt very many have a high opinion of the media. I mean, look at the terrible reporting during the shootings in Sandy Hook. He shot his mom, then his dad, then neither..then his mom was a teacher, then a substitute, then not a teacher at the school, and on and on and on...and this wasn't just the 1st few hours into the story. It was for DAYS after.

Simply put, I watch little/no TV news..I read everything I can...and use my own filter to figure things out.

I doubt very many have a high opinion of the media. I mean, look at the terrible reporting during the shootings in Sandy Hook. He shot his mom, then his dad, then neither..then his mom was a teacher, then a substitute, then not a teacher at the school, and on and on and on...and this wasn't just the 1st few hours into the story. It was for DAYS after.

Simply put, I watch little/no TV news..I read everything I can...and use my own filter to figure things out.

The only New Year's Resolution I have ever kept was to stop watching cable news. Been four blessed years now.

This is too bad.....

Now I know why so many of my friends who are rabid sports fans don't know the 1st thing nor care about the NHL.....

Had my buddy (non-hockey fan) on the edge of his seat last year during the pens/flyers series......was genuinely impressed with a sport and athletes he had never given a chance. Between the lockout and the non-existent coverage in the US.....He's probably already forgotten.....

• Like 1

Especially given the lockout when they are trying to rebuild credibility and re-market the game.

That's what *really* makes this unforgivable. Add in the fact that the Flyers are owned by Comcast...who also happens to own NBC (51%, 49% owned by G.E.) ... How many people were involved producing that commercial and not one of them took the time to verify the "facts?"

The drivel that passes for "news" coming out of the mainstream media ... when you think of how many millions depend on it for their world view... I guess it's no wonder our country is in the shape its in.

• Like 1