Andreas Lilja clears waivers, and the Flyers still don't understand the CBA

Guest Irishjim

By Travis Hughes

Andreas Lilja will cost the Flyers against the cap, and it seems as though the organization still doesn't understand the nuance of the CBA.

Brian Boucher is already practicing with the Adirondack Phantoms, and it looks as though defenseman Andreas Lilja is about to join him. The two players cleared waivers, as expected, at 12 p.m. ET Thursday and will be AHL players to start this season.

The only thing that could potentially keep Lilja in town would be an injury to Andrej Meszaros, but the Flyers still have seven defensemen in town without Mesz, so LIlja's not really needed even if there's an injury right now. It makes sense that the Phantoms are expecting him in town for Friday's practice.

There's been a bit of confusion on Lilja cap hit, but as we assumed when he was first waived yesterday, Lilja will indeed cost the Flyers $637,500 against the salary cap while playing in the AHL. Did the Flyers really not know how this worked? Seems that way. Here's assistant GM Barry Hanrahan yesterday when asked by CSN about this:

@sbaickerCSN

Flyers assistant GM Barry Hanrahan says there will be NO cap hit for Andreas Lilja to go to the Phantoms.

And then today, here's Hanrahan again:

@sbaickerCSN

CLARIFICATION ON LILJA: The #Flyers *will* be charged a hit for him to play in the AHL: his cap hit minus $100k, which equals $637,500 (1/2)

He's on a 35-plus contract, and a quick check of CapGeek (let alone a full reading of the CBA, the document which Hanrahan's paid to understand) would have told you that Lilja should hit the cap at $637,500. This isn't hard.

There may have been some confusion in the questioning of Hanrahan, but the facts are pretty black and white: The Flyers said there wasn't a cap hit, but it was pretty damn clear that there was a cap hit.

Now, the Flyers are paying two non-roster defensemen against the salary cap this season: Oskars Bartulis at $100,000 following his buy out last summer and now Lilja. The second-year of this Lilja contract has been frustrating since the minute it was signed in June 2011, and that's coming to real-life fruition now.

Luckily, the Flyers have the room under the cap right now. They're making a good on-ice decision by dropping Lilja and keeping both Kurtis Foster and Bruno Gervais as their depth defensemen at the NHL level, but it's quite a bit frustrating that they a) still don't understand the nuance of the CBA and b) that Lilja is still in the organization at all.

The two year deal for Lilja was silly the moment it was signed. Similar to the Shelley deal.

That there are people on this board - your humble narrator notwithstanding - who apparently know the CBA better than the "hockey executives" who are paid to know it is truly distressing.

Over and over again, these Flyer execs screw up the rules. Misinterpreting the Pronger +35 rule was a lot worse, but this kinda stuff is unforgivable. The troubling part is there is never any consequences for not interpreting the rules properly. Perpetuating the old boys club is more important than making sure the clubs interests are being protected, at least that's the take from the outside looking in.

Over and over again, these Flyer execs screw up the rules. Misinterpreting the Pronger +35 rule was a lot worse, but this kinda stuff is unforgivable. The troubling part is there is never any consequences for not interpreting the rules properly. Perpetuating the old boys club is more important than making sure the clubs interests are being protected, at least that's the take from the outside looking in.

They misinterpreted the rule in Pronger's case. Then - having been told that Pronger was a 35+ contract - they doubled down, took him anyway and jettisoned their "captain of the future".

They seem almost incapable of admitting mistakes - which makes me queasy about Bryzgalov...

yeah the Pronger deal - and don't forget letting Bob play that "extra" PO game...which ruined his eligibility to play in the AHL (i think that's what it was...i forgot the details).

How do supposed professionals make these kinds of mistakes? Whether it's Hanrahan or whoever...

I promised myself I wouldn't rag on the Bob fiasco anymore but - well I did it again.

• Like 1

nd don't forget letting Bob play that "extra" PO game...which ruined his eligibility to play in the AHL (i think that's what it was...i forgot the details).

Yea, it meant he was no longer waiver eligible, so we would have risked losing him for nothing if we sent him down. Geniuses.

@radoran " They seem almost incapable of admitting mistakes - which makes me queasy about Bryzgalov..."

You probably already know this, but part of me want's to see Bryz just fall on his face and we can once and for all be done with him. Of course, that would mean our season was toast, which is a horrible fall out, but in this case, the ends justifies the means....we can't suffer for 9 more years of this moron...some of us will die before he is gone, and that is just not right....we have suffered enough.

@radoran " They seem almost incapable of admitting mistakes - which makes me queasy about Bryzgalov..."

You probably already know this, but part of me want's to see Bryz just fall on his face and we can once and for all be done with him. Of course, that would mean our season was toast, which is a horrible fall out, but in this case, the ends justifies the means....we can't suffer for 9 more years of this moron...some of us will die before he is gone, and that is just not right....we have suffered enough.

I have a hard time believing that they won't buy him out after this year regardless - I mean, even-if-he-wins-the-Cup regardless.

That's because the person who's probably most worried about dying before he's gone is Ed Snider.

Well, I want to see Bryz gone as much as the next guy... But there is a bigger implication than just washing *this* season down the toilet. The Flyers would need to search and find a suitable starting goalie, AGAIN.

God, I am all but convinced this team is cursed and doomed with not being able to address this position EVER for as long as this franchise exists.

God, I am all but convinced this team is cursed and doomed with not being able to address this position EVER for as long as this franchise exists.

Wait until you see how you feel when bobs puts up 25-30 wins this season on a Columbus team.

Is it that crazy for me to think Bryz is going to bounce back this season?

I am in the same boat as you. I think Bryz plays like a #1 goalie. Not elite, but he will have stretches where he puts the team on his back. I always let this team crush my hopes each season, but I'm signing up for it again this year. I think we make it to the conference finals, and next year we win it all, with Bryz as the goalie.

If the rumor about Lilja is true, and he does go back to Sweden to play, does his cap hit go with him??

No, Lilja is a 35+ deal.

Flyers may wind up not having to pay him (depending on the arrangement), but the cap hit will remain.

Unless there's another super double secret probation provision in the CBA...

No, Lilja is a 35+ deal.

Flyers may wind up not having to pay him (depending on the arrangement), but the cap hit will remain.

Unless there's another super double secret probation provision in the CBA...

I thought the CBA said teams couldn't bury the contract in the AHL. If he leaves the AHL and goes to Sweden, then what?

I thought the CBA said teams couldn't bury the contract in the AHL. If he leaves the AHL and goes to Sweden, then what?

With Lilja being a "35+" deal, it doesn't matter where he plays. He counts against the Flyers' cap.

If he was under 35, they could effectively "bury" the contract as it is under the $900K limit.

Boucher's $950K salary in the AHL, for example, is only a $50K hit on the Flyers cap.