Wade Redden

yave1964

Lets just say, you are working for fifteen bucks an hour, good pay for your job and a rival company offers you forty dollars an hour to come to work for them. Now you know damn well you are not worth that kind of money, a coworker, lets just call him Chara who works side by side with you has been lured away by another rival company and now this company, an inept one with deep pockets is trying to get you. Of course you would take the money. So would I. So would anyone.

Now you go to work for this poorly run company, and they see that you are good at your job, but not amazing, that you are overpaid, but hey you have a long term contract that they have to honor. It becomes a bit of an embarrassment to this new company as you plod along, steady but unspectacular

for much more money than you are worth. Finally they move your desk to the basement in the filing room and try to forget about you, Faced with receiving forty bucks an hour to hang out with the files by the boiler room or to go to another company for fifteen, what would anyone of us do?

Redden has always been a big son of a gun who hits and can shoot the puck a bit and uses his size well. His problem in New York was Slats Sather paid him almost seven million a year to join their blue line. Redden is not worth that kind of money, he was not worth that on the best day of his life. What he is is a top four d-man who can shoot the puck a bit and can run the point on the second line power play. Of course he took the money, double what he was worth but so would anyone of us. It is not his fault for not saying, "Hey Slats, that is too much money for a second pair d-man your making a mistake by offering so much. Lets scale it back a bit." None of us would have.

Can he still play? He says he can, he says he still has the desire and ability. A top four d-man with size and some offensive pop, he would look damn good wearing the winged wheel and I would love to see him sign. Now I know whoever he winds up with, Detroit, Philly, Edmonton that organization is going to be sneered at but it is a low risk, high reward proposition for a team short of talent on the blue line. I hope Ken Holland wakes up long enough to get him under contract.

@yave1964 I don't even see Redden as a top 4 dman unless he is paired with Chara or Weber or some other D-man who can carry him. NHLwiki is saying Wings are not interested. I would pass on Redden if I were the Flyers....they already have 3 or 4 # 6th d-men.....

@yave1964 I don't even see Redden as a top 4 dman unless he is paired with Chara or Weber or some other D-man who can carry him. NHLwiki is saying Wings are not interested. I would pass on Redden if I were the Flyers....they already have 3 or 4 # 6th d-men.....

My big thing with Redden is obviously we are short on defensemen and he comes free. If he can play, fine, if not we move on. I am really frustrated with Holland for sitting on his wallet and not making the big move we need.Not that Redden would be a big move, but he could be a piece of the puzzle for next to nothing.....

milton.jpg

So how much money would you give him?

I agree with you @yave1964. If you have the cap space and the money, I don't see why you wouldn't try it.

Flyers have taken chances before. Jagr and Zherdev come to mind.

I think Jagr really taught the young Flyers players a thing or two about being the best.

He was worth more than what he got paid.

• Like 1

we are short on defensemen and he comes free.

Personally, I would be more than willing to send you Lilja back for nothing but a roster spot......he already knows the system there and he would not affect your money for going after a real d-man...

@flyerrod Yeeeesss....maybe if we think about it hard enough, Lilja *will* go back to the Wings!! I'll think so hard I get a headache.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL...that is pretty much how we felt when Homer inked him

We had Lilja and Lebda at the same time, Lebda had heart but no size and really never developed, Lilja had size and snarl but zero ability, he cannot pass, he has a hard shot but no idea where it is going, and has about as much quickness back on defense as a pylon. He was good in the corners, that is about it. And he was a swede and from what I read well liked by his teammates. Gotta think he is about out of NHL chances by now and should be in the Swedish elite league by this time next week.