Game #3 Flyers at NJ Devils 1/22/13

pilldoc

Ok....our boys have started 0-2. Do they get off the schnide and win a game in NJ. How much does NOT having Zach Parise have hurt the Devils. Any changes you see in our line-up? I'm assuming Bryz will be in goal.

Would really hate to see this team start out 0-3. Thoughts? Predictions?

With our D still struggling it could be a crap shoot. I'm hoping for a 3-2 win with Coots getting the game winner.

However, Brodeur could stand on is head like he does sometimes and the Devils eek a out 2-1 win in a SO.

I missed the BUF game entirely and even though it appears there was good stuff to take away from it, I'm not hopeful. It could be the goalie we have, or the D, or the "system" or all of the above. I predict a low-scoring loss.

• Like 1

I missed the BUF game entirely and even though it appears there was good stuff to take away from it, I'm not hopeful. It could be the goalie we have, or the D, or the "system" or all of the above. I predict a low-scoring loss.

I've watched both so far, and imo they have the same problem as last year. They are getting horrible starts and having to chase the game AND

they are unable to get all of the aspects of the game going at one time.

They can't get their offense/defense/special teams/goalie having good games all at once. Bryz has been good, but their special teams have been HORRRRRIBLE. They've scored a few goals but then had huge defensive breakdowns.

Sure you can blame the lockout, but why weren't the other 2 teams showing the same issues. This is not a new problem.

• Like 1

I've watched both so far, and imo they have the same problem as last year.

Yeah, that's what I saw too. And the continuation of other terrible trends like getting slaughtered in the faceoff circle, poor dumps and retrieval, poor cycling (Simmonds is the exception here) etc etc

• Like 1

Looks like the lines will be juggled tonight, with Rinaldo out.

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Schenn/McGinn

Read/Coots/Blushin' Russian

Talbot/Laughton/Wellwood

That just looks weak... but we'll see.

Foster was not on the ice for practice, but it's supposedly a "maintenance" day.

@brelic

LOL..the Blushin' Russian...is that what we are gonna call Fedotenko...LOL

we really do miss Briere....anyword when he is available?

Haha, I thought I saw someone here come up with that. I can't take credit ;)

Briere was on the ice today, but last I heard was that he would be unavailable for this week's games. Saturday might be the target date.

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Simmonds/Schenn/McGinn

Read/Coots/Blushin' Russian

Talbot/Laughton/Wellwood

I know you guys know this, but here's what jumps out at me! Looking at players under age 25 - and I'll throw in Read for good measure:

Laughton - age 18, first season in NHL (2 games)

Couts - age 20, second season in NHL (79 games)

Schenn - age 21, fourth season in NHL (65 games - 9 w/ LA and 56 w/ Philly)

McGinn - age 22, first season in NHL (0 games - debut)

Wellwood - age 22, third season in NHL (29 games)

Rinaldo - age 22, second season in NHL (68 games)

Voracek - age 23, fifth season in NHL (321 games)

Simmonds - age 24, fifth season in NHL (324 games)

Giroux - age 25, sixth season in NHL (287 games)

Sestito - age 25, fourth season in NHL (27 games)

Read - age 26, second season in NHL (81 games)

Eleven forwards all under the age of 26. Read, in only his second full season, is the veteran in terms of age but has only almost one full season (81 games) under his belt. In terms of game experience Simmonds and Voracek, though much younger, are the veterans of this "corps" with 324 and 321 respectively. In looking at just the six who are in tonight's lineup, in my opinion, the experience simply isn't there. Not saying these guys don't have skills, because the do - and they're going to be crazy good - well, most of them --- Giroux already is. And this bodes well, very well, for the future. But for tonight's game and this season, not so much.

• Like 2

Eleven forwards all under the age of 26. Read, in only his second full season, is the veteran in terms of age but has only almost one full season (81 games) under his belt. In terms of game experience Simmonds and Voracek, though much younger, are the veterans of this "corps" with 324 and 321 respectively. In looking at just the six who are in tonight's lineup, in my opinion, the experience simply isn't there. Not saying these guys don't have skills, because the do - and they're going to be crazy good - well, most of them --- Giroux already is. And this bodes well, very well, for the future. But for tonight's game and this season, not so much.

Yeah this is exactly what I am seeing too. If these guys pan out we are gonna have a heckuvateam in the near to mid future. With the option to

deep-6 Bryz and his albatross contract after this season and maybe build the D / upgrade the goalie / add the right mix of vets, I think we have the potential to be a powerhouse down the road. Hopefully this will coincide with the decline of some of the other powerhouses around us (due to age and attrition) and we can get a window to the big prize.

Lets go :PHI:

• Like 1

I know you guys know this, but here's what jumps out at me! Looking at players under age 25 - and I'll throw in Read for good measure:

Laughton - age 18, first season in NHL (2 games)

Couts - age 20, second season in NHL (79 games)

Schenn - age 21, fourth season in NHL (65 games - 9 w/ LA and 56 w/ Philly)

McGinn - age 22, first season in NHL (0 games - debut)

Wellwood - age 22, third season in NHL (29 games)

Rinaldo - age 22, second season in NHL (68 games)

Voracek - age 23, fifth season in NHL (321 games)

Simmonds - age 24, fifth season in NHL (324 games)

Giroux - age 25, sixth season in NHL (287 games)

Sestito - age 25, fourth season in NHL (27 games)

Read - age 26, second season in NHL (81 games)

wow..i did not realizw how young they are.....well then maybe we should just suck it up this year and see what happens. Now if we can only devlop some d-men...hmmmmmm

Hopefully this will coincide with the decline of some of the other powerhouses around us (due to age and attrition) and we can get a window to the big prize.

Totally agree. I hate when I read that the Penguins (no offense Polaris) have built a dynasty to challenge for the Cup for at least the next 10 years. We build up the defense, get steady goaltending at a better price, and in a few years it will be about the Flyers, not the Pens.

While I'm extremely hopefull and think we'll be awesome, that's what I've resigned myself to do too. It's going to be a season or two.

Then make the playoffs is priority to give the kids experience and expect nothing more. What happens after that is gravy. I don't trust this "D" and I'm expecating Bryz to be old Bryz of last year. Leighton as far as I'm concerned can be the locker room boy......

• Like 1

Here's the skinny on McGinn, from hockeysfuture.com

Though his brother Jamie McGinn, who spent his entire career in the OHL and was drafted by the Sharks, has a decent offensive upside, Tye McGinn's offensive capabilities come up a little short. Even without the talent, he found a nice offensive niche for himself in the QMJHL by learning where to be on the ice. He's a smart hockey player with size and physicality. He fits the mold of a role-player who can fit in well with Philadelphia's system.

Ok....our boys have started 0-2. Do they get off the schnide and win a game in NJ. How much does NOT having Zach Parise have hurt the Devils. Any changes you see in our line-up? I'm assuming Bryz will be in goal.

Would really hate to see this team start out 0-3. Thoughts? Predictions?

With our D still struggling it could be a crap shoot. I'm hoping for a 3-2 win with Coots getting the game winner.

However, Brodeur could stand on is head like he does sometimes and the Devils eek a out 2-1 win in a SO.

I'm predicting a flyers victory 4-2 with McGinn getting the Gordie Howe hat trick

Guys it is a pleasure to read this forum. I cannot stand the Philly.com site! After only two games, they are ready to trash the entire team and have little in the way of positive insite to offer. I am all for freedom of speech but I am not in favor of redundancy season after season on that site. I recall so many complaining that we need to stop trading our young prospects for the over the hill gang. Well, now you have young and they will get better with experience Call me a homer, but that's what I think and we just need to suffer through and persevere.

Guys it is a pleasure to read this forum. I cannot stand the Philly.com site! After only two games, they are ready to trash the entire team and have little in the way of positive insite to offer. I am all for freedom of speech but I am not in favor of redundancy season after season on that site. I recall so many complaining that we need to stop trading our young prospects for the over the hill gang. Well, now you have young and they will get better with experience Call me a homer, but that's what I think and we just need to suffer through and persevere.

welcome aboard! we might disagree every now and then...but I can honestly say we respect everyone. even the opposing fans that come on here. (tough the debates do get heated every now and then)

• Like 1

Welcome to

The Philly.com site is filled with bad posts...and lots of spyware. This is a good crew. Welcome.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

When we got off to a bad start in '07-'07, you had a feeling the team was slow and built for a bygone era of which Hitchcock was born so to speak. We are off to a bad start with a team that's good on paper. You cannot fault Bryz. He has looked OK to Very Good. This seems like parts with no whole. I agree with Millbury that the frustration and dumb penalties are just stupid. Another loss or two like this and I see Lavy's job on the line. Sadly, Homer is at fault to the extent we seem to develop forwards...but D doesn't happen.

Howie

Totally agree. I hate when I read that the Penguins (no offense Polaris) have built a dynasty to challenge for the Cup for at least the next 10 years. We build up the defense, get steady goaltending at a better price, and in a few years it will be about the Flyers, not the Pens.

No offense taken my friend, none at all. I think you guys have a great future IF you stay the course and IF your Club does something to address defense. But I have to say, the Pens DO look to be good for the next ten years, so it will make for some interesting playoff series, the last season's not excluded.

Welcome!