Perry will not accept extension

Guest habsguy26

Habsguy26 Poll  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Will Corey Perry be in Anaheim next season?

• Yes
    • No, he will be traded before the deadline
    • No, he will test free agency after the Ducks choose not to trade him

Speculation is Corey Perry turned down an 8 year extension to stay with his draft team, the Anaheim Ducks. Perry's agent has reportedly let Bob Murray, Ducks' GM, know that the intention is for Perry to test the free agent waters after this season.

Perry has been linked to Philly, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Montreal (according to Eklund) as possible trade destinations.

Here we go, months and months of Perry to the Flyers trade rumors....Eklund bought himself a goldmine here in website hits. I actually never expected Perry to turn down the extension, but I still contend, the Ducks will not let him go UFA....been saying that all along, it just makes sense. You don't let a talent like that get away with nothing in return, it would be a job killer for any GM. It will hurt his market value that he will only be a rental, (I guess, depending on who he gets traded to). It will still take a boatload of picks, prospects and NHL talent to secure his services, even if it's only for a one spring run.

Here we go, months and months of Perry to the Flyers trade rumors....Eklund bought himself a goldmine here in website hits. I actually never expected Perry to turn down the extension, but I still contend, the Ducks will not let him go UFA....been saying that all along, it just makes sense. You don't let a talent like that get away with nothing in return, it would be a job killer for any GM. It will hurt his market value that he will only be a rental, (I guess, depending on who he gets traded to). It will still take a boatload of picks, prospects and NHL talent to secure his services, even if it's only for a one spring run.

It's so so easy to put teams like Philly in rumors. The Flyers are dedicated to get the top players in the league so people throw their name out there constantly. I'm not looking forward to the constant guessing game with Perry now

but I still contend, the Ducks will not let him go UFA....been saying that all along, it just makes sense. You don't let a talent like that get away with nothing in return, it would be a job killer for any GM. It will hurt his market value that he will only be a rental, (I guess, depending on who he gets traded to). It will still take a boatload of picks, prospects and NHL talent to secure his services, even if it's only for a one spring run.

It might also be that the Ducks will let the market set the value and then offer to match what Perry is offered. Teams are going to be scrambling to lose cap hit for the coming 2 seasons to get under the hard cap so there will only be a few teams able to give him a "sweet" deal. Perry is going to have to ask himself if he really wants to play for a team without a solid shot of post season play. Contracts for the next couple of seasons are going to be tracking funky until everybody gets a handle on the coming cap restrictions.

• Like 1

One more choice for your poll would be a trade near or at the NHL draft. That would probably be my choice if Anaheim has playoff hopes and Perry makes it known that he will not be staying after their season.

Thats a good point (particularly about playoff hopes as the Ducks are off to a good start). Another option would be traded at deadline and re-signed by ducks in off-season. Thats a win-win for the ducks.

• Like 1

Argghhhhh, This is a toughie. I doubt that Pears is going to be in another jersey. Well, the optimistic side of me says that hahah. If he does sign with another team I will be devestated. I believe he's just trying to eye the talent level of the team and see what they can do. I wouldn't want to sign a life time contract with a team that isn't performing. I know Getzie will though <3 he is our captain.

It might also be that the Ducks will let the market set the value and then offer to match what Perry is offered.

I am of the opinion that if Perry goes down the road of UFA, he is done in Cali. Anaheim has cap room to burn for him. To me, it would not be a money issue for him, but more a different opportunity / team. I see him getting traded at the deadline to "see the grass on the other side". No way Anaheim can let him walk for nothing. Don't look for that trade to be occurring with Philly. We do not have the cap room (we are 800k under the max).

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this has anything to do with Boudreau "coaching" the Ducks. I never thought fatty could coach, and he always seemed like a crybaby.

That said, if the Flyers move a D over for Perry, the cap hit might work out just fine. Capgeek says (as of today / this post) that the Flyers have 1.6M in cap space, 1.9M AAV (salary-based cap hit they could absorb today, as the cap charges are calculated per day of NHL season), and 6.6M AAV at the trade deadline. Those numbers do not account for LTIR situations, which could lower those numbers.

I guess it would be nice if G had Hartnell and Perry as wingers though. Too bad Briere has the NMC, as he might be a decent chunk of what is necessary to land Perry in a trade.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Boudreau "coaching" the Ducks. I never thought fatty could coach, and he always seemed like a crybaby.

That said, if the Flyers move a D over for Perry, the cap hit might work out just fine. Capgeek says (as of today / this post) that the Flyers have 1.6M in cap space, 1.9M AAV (salary-based cap hit they could absorb today, as the cap charges are calculated per day of NHL season), and 6.6M AAV at the trade deadline. Those numbers do not account for LTIR situations, which could lower those numbers.

I guess it would be nice if G had Hartnell and Perry as wingers though. Too bad Briere has the NMC, as he might be a decent chunk of what is necessary to land Perry in a trade.

I think at this point though Briere is just filler not the keystone in a trade. It's going to take a couple great young players to get Perry.