Always flat in the 1st period

Samifan

Sami: That is a good observation. You have to wonder if it's maturity or arrogance on the players' parts, or lousy preparation from the coaching. I don't know. What we can say is that the team is playing below its skill level and you can't blame Bryz.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

In the Lavi era, the Flyers seem always seem to play like **** in the first period of games. What gives?

Completely inaccurate. This style goes all the way back to Hitchcock. Perhaps it is us as fans putting the team under the microscope (ie. Pen, Rangers, Devils fans biotch about the same thing about coming out flat). That said, the not playing to 60 minutes and / or coming out flat has been going on a long time (hitch / stevens / lavi). Don't put this on the coach.

Van-you make a very valid point, yes flat starts where also an issue under Hitch and Stevens. It just seems like for the past couple of seasons under Lavi (who I like by the way), the slow starts result in the team being down 1-0, two or three minutes into the game. Maybe that is a result of a more up tempo style Lavi preaches, our issues on D the past couple of seasons or our continuing issues with inconsistent goaltending the last 20 years.

Completely inaccurate. This style goes all the way back to Hitchcock. Perhaps it is us as fans putting the team under the microscope (ie. Pen, Rangers, Devils fans biotch about the same thing about coming out flat). That said, the not playing to 60 minutes and / or coming out flat has been going on a long time (hitch / stevens / lavi). Don't put this on the coach.

But the players have been completely turned over. If it's not the coach and the players have changed - what is it?

Allergic reaction to orange?

Seriously, I do think this is on the attitude of the organization. Always "good enough to compete for the Stanley Cup" and always making move after move to get "good enough to compete for the Stanley Cup."

Never good enough to win the bloody thing, but, hey, they get points for trying really, really hard, right?

But every time they go out on the ice, they are being told they are "good enough to compete for the Stanley Cup."

I can't remember the last time the Flyers put together a SOLID full, 60 min outing....it has been a while, maybe one of the Jersey wins.....

They did tonight. I was so pissed after the Devs game (remember i said bag skate?). When I played serious hockey, we would come out flat sometimes, I get it. But these are guys making millions. I guess my point is it is not the coach. It has been going on for a long time.

By the way- did you see what Thornton and Marleau are doing in SJS?

But the players have been completely turned over. If it's not the coach and the players have changed - what is it?

So on one of side of the coin, the players have been turned over, on the other side of the coin the coaches have been turned over as well. So- is it a phenomenon or just the nature of ALL teams?

the slow starts result in the team being down 1-0, two or three minutes into the game. Maybe that is a result of a more up tempo style Lavi preaches, our issues on D the past couple of seasons or our continuing issues with inconsistent goaltending the last 20 years.

Interesting points. I don't know. When I played (granted- not near the NHL level), I was always game to get going in the first period. During warm-ups, I knew when I was going to fly to start (or not). Once the game started, sometimes whatever told my brain I would be ready to go would not execute. But in the second and especially the third all things connected. Multiply that by 18 skaters.

So on one of side of the coin, the players have been turned over, on the other side of the coin the coaches have been turned over as well. So- is it a phenomenon or just the nature of ALL teams?

Obviously, all goalies have bad games, all teams have bad starts.

I think that the frequency with which the Flyers come out flat while their opponent comes out strong is more than that.

To me, the Flyers frequently play "fat and happy" while their opponents often are playing lean and hungry.

I want the Flyers to play lean and hungry - like they did last night against the Rags.

To me, the Flyers frequently play "fat and happy" while their opponents often are playing lean and hungry.

Is it the Flyers or all teams? What I mean is that do we (you, others and I) notice to be a particular trend with the Flyers because we are fans of the team and scrutinize them particularly?

Is it the Flyers or all teams? What I mean is that do we (you, others and I) notice to be a particular trend with the Flyers because we are fans of the team and scrutinize them particularly?

I certainly concede the possibility. And I'm certainly not saying that all other teams "come out strong" or play hard every game.

That said, I do think we've seen Flyer teams that have played better and more consistently.

And I do think that teams "get up" to play the Flyers. The team's reputation is more than just a target for referees and the Discipline Czar.

But one might at least expect jump in their step in the first three games of a shortened season.

That said, I do think we've seen Flyer teams that have played better and more consistently.

But when and why?? For example, I watched the teams of the early 90's (pre-lindros and even Lindros first year), consistently play 60 minutes of hockey. But they were not good teams (mostly skill wise and not so much to do with cohesiveness). I could pick some of the teams from the late 70's and 80's the same could be said.

But when and why?? For example, I watched the teams of the early 90's (pre-lindros and even Lindros first year), consistently play 60 minutes of hockey. But they were not good teams (mostly skill wise and not so much to do with cohesiveness). I could pick some of the teams from the late 70's and 80's the same could be said.

I think the early Lindros years were the last really consistent time of the course of a season - with the Legion and all. People hated to play the Flyers in the third period.

I can't think of when that's been true since then.

And I'd say with the "veteran core" under Primeau that made the drive we saw some of that. Likewise with Pronger.

The Flyers don't - yet - have that.

And I'd say with the "veteran core" under Primeau that made the drive we saw some of that. Likewise with Pronger.

I get that sort of. But I don't think its the Dineens / Poulins / Lindros / Preems / Prongers of the world that particularly make that occur. It can't be one guy that gets the engine going.

I get that sort of. But I don't think its the Dineens / Poulins / Lindros / Preems / Prongers of the world that particularly make that occur. It can't be one guy that gets the engine going.

It's not "on the captain" - it's about having the sort of core.

I think with Pronger as "virtual captain" during the Cup run, it was the core of Briere/Timonen showing the Richards/Craters of the worlds how to make a deep playoff run - something that undoubtedly helped the West Coast Flyers.

As I said earlier, while I think most guys are "in it for the money" for the most part (they enjoy playing the game and most want to win, but overall (like most people) having a job is more important), having a group of players - even 4-5, who are in it for more than that inspires the team as a whole to greater heights.

That's a "learned" insight - something, for example, I think Richards and Crater got from the Flyers' Final run and brought with them to California. It's something Briere got with the Buffalo run. Etc.

I hope that this team took some of that from the playoff experience last year. It's also why I object to the whole mercenary approach this team (and, for example, the NFL Eagles) have taken. Rather than building a team and developing from experience, they are always trying to take the short cut.

Guys have to learn what the crest on the front means to them before it means more than the name on the back.