B. Schenn suspended 1 game

brelic

I never once said there is no bias. I said it matters WHO the player is not what team he's on.

@brelic

Still on Malkin? Again? Do I sick @B21 on you with comparisons about dirty Flyers play? Pronger? Hartnell?

Sorry boys, but I find it funny when Flyers fans who revel in the "Broad Street Bullies" hacking and whacking their way to the Cup cry about superstar players breaking the rules here and there.

I've got a few more nuggets from the early part of the season that I am saving for a rainy day. And not Simmonds taking a page from Bill Barber's book or the 3 calls that led to Philly power plays in the first period, either. ;)

forget last year's hits, year's past, etc. How about going forward we say this - if it takes Frame-by-Frame analysis to judge when a guy left his feet - then it's a clean hit. Period. I mean WTF is going on in this NHL?

Analyze the battles in front of the net frame-by-frame - any team, any night - you'll find hundreds of "suspension-worthy" offenses: guys chopping, whacking knees and ankles, behind the knee (hurts even more), in the nuts (talk about "intent to injure")...it's endless, the amount of illegal contact that goes on in front of the net. The point is you don't see it in real-time and nothing gets called unless somebody falls down. Then there's usually a cross-check called. But if you look at those battles Frame-by-Freakin-Frame...1/2 the league will be suspended.

• Like 2

the more i look at it... it's not even a charging call. he stopped skating long before the hit. the leaving the feet is so marginal of a call that it is really quite incredible that this warranted even a 2nd look. it wasn't blatant or obvious to anyone 'live' that he left before the hit. it certainly wasn't a premeditated head hunting hit.

this is a real slippery slope... if you start suspending players for these hits, you might as well just start taking hitting out of the game. i swear the only reason it was looked at by shanny is 1) he's bored. and 2) the devils sent a tape in. this is utter bull****. pure and simple.

What i don't like about it is now Schenn has a "history of these types of hits" , so the next time something questionable happens he will not get the benefit of the doubt.

And I can see him getting tossed in the box for that shot, he did line him up pretty good and definitely takes about 4 strides before delivering contact.

but i agree, this wasn't called a penalty during the game and the supplemental discipline is horseshit , plain and simple. hits like that can change the energy of a team/game. this type of monday morning officiating will ruin the sport.

• Like 3

Sorry boys, but I find it funny when Flyers fans who revel in the "Broad Street Bullies" hacking and whacking their way to the Cup cry about superstar players breaking the rules here and there.

it is not the better part of our nature, for sure.

a rose by any other name is still a rose though. The double standard exists.

• Like 1

I didn't know that teams can send in tapes for a look-see. The Flyers should take all the borderline hits on us for the rest of the season and send in every tape for Shanny to look at. We could probably keep him pretty busy with all the stuff other teams get away with when it come to the Flyers......

I never once said there is no bias. I said it matters WHO the player is not what team he's on.

@brelic

Still on Malkin? Again? Do I sick @B21 on you with comparisons about dirty Flyers play? Pronger? Hartnell?

The difference being, I was negative ten in 1975, and the Pens do that crap NOW. Hockey back then was a very different sport, altered in recent history by several rule changes coming out of multiple lockouts. No Flyer in my memory ever did what Kaspar did to Lindros, complete with celebrating at the bench.

I find it repulsive that so many forget far more recent acts of egregiousness.

• Like 1

I didn't even read this thread until today because I literally did not believe it. The NHL just trolled the Flyers. They use height to justify hits to the head from Chara and Volchenkov, but squint between replay frames to suspend a Flyer - unjustified in this incident. Nice to see the front office is in mid-season form.

• Like 2

The difference being, I was negative ten in 1975, and the Pens do that crap NOW. Hockey back then was a very different sport, altered in recent history by several rule changes coming out of multiple lockouts. No Flyer in my memory ever did what Kaspar did to Lindros, complete with celebrating at the bench.

I find it repulsive that so many forget far more recent acts of egregiousness.

What Kaspar did to Lindros? You protest legal body checks where the arms were down, the skates stayed on the ice, and the hit was as clean as clean gets, even by today's standards? You're so blinded by orange right now it's incredible.

The Pens do that crap now? Do you forget what team you watch on a day to day basis? I'll remind you the Pens were no dirtier in the series than your Flyers were. You and many other fans gloss over the Giroux punches to Crosby's head AFTER the whistle at the net... or Briere's high rising stick everytime somebody came close to him. Hartnell's dives that put even Letang to shame. Something I've noticed and been kind of shocked by is the amount of whining about a series you won. Every team has it's whiners, but Doom you're a hockey guy, not just a Flyers guy. You know better.

@Polaris922

i think a thing that is missed by you guys when we discuss the broad street bullies era is this, the Flyers did not get away with their thuggery, they sat in the bin. the game was different then, no question, but the Flyers hacked and dove and fought and went to the box. they won in spite of being penalized, that is what was / is celebrated, not really by me , but by those who remember that team and that era fondly.

@Polaris922

i think a thing that is missed by you guys when we discuss the broad street bullies era is this, the Flyers did not get away with their thuggery, they sat in the bin. the game was different then, no question, but the Flyers hacked and dove and fought and went to the box. they won in spite of being penalized, that is what was / is celebrated, not really by me , but by those who remember that team and that era fondly.

I don't miss that part Mojo I just think it was like it is now really.. some got caught and put in the bin, some didn't. It's really not changed so much. I remember hearing parents and whomever else complain about inconsistencies in officiating then too. I don't think it is anything that will ever go away. Period.

why are they even looking at this?

And this is what I am upset about. If I remember correctly, a team has to request a review (ie. send in the tape / disc). This means Lou and company sent this to the league. If not, it is utter bs for the league to review a play on its own. If they are going to do that, then they should start changing game scores based on the blown disallowed goals.