No Discipline or Fine for Ribeiro's Officiating Comments

hf101

http://www.sbnation....face-discipline

Washington Capitals center Mike Ribeiro was displeased with the officiating during Tuesday's loss to the Winnipeg Jets, after two separate high sticking incidents went uncalled by the referees. Ribeiro, who had to undergo an emergency tracheotomy after taking a high stick in 2010, was upset that the high sticks were not mentioned or noticed by the officials and that his plea for explanation was ignored.

He expressed those frustrations to the media following the loss, saying:

"So the second time I got high-sticked close to my throat again I looked around and he's staring at me," said Ribeiro. "I'm like, 'Why are you not calling this one?' Well I guess he wasn't happy about that. I guess I said stuff that my kids won't like too much. I just feel like you're not allowed to talk to them anymore about situations that happens in a game. They believe they're like above us or like more power, they feel power, I don't know. I think I need to just stay focused on my game and let them ref the way they want to ref. When you get high-sticked or [ask them for an] explanation what happened there?"

Ribeiro's frustration also got the better of him during the game, when he was tossed from the game with a game misconduct and unsportsmanlike penalty after assisting on Troy Brouwer's power play goal with just 1:16 left in regulation.

The NHL frowns on open criticisms of the officiating and has fined players and coaches in the past. Katie Carrera of the Washington Post is reporting that Ribeiro, however, will not be disciplined or fined by the NHL in regards to his comments.

After needing an emergency tracheotomy from a high stick a few years back I think he earned a pass.

The key here is will it set a precedence? Will all players who have a legitimate reason to complain be allowed to vocalize their concerns the same without fines?

The key here is will it set a precedence? Will all players who have a legitimate reason to complain be allowed to vocalize their concerns the same without fines?

I'm guessing it's not the first time (and won't be the last) that a player goes unpunished for publicly criticizing the officials.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here ever reffed hockey at any level? I haven't.

I'm only asking because there has to be more to it than what I perceive from my couch. Because typically with a high stick, the puck is somewhere nearby. When there are 4 sets of eyes on the ice, how do they miss a high stick like that? Twice?