Should Flyers pursue Jamie Benn?

Guest activestick

I think I would part with anyone except Giroux for him.

Only way you get him is Couts. I doubt teams are so infatuated with Brayden Schenn anymore, they all want Couts and that is a solid NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Defense, Defense, Defense

@activestick

Hartnell and Simmonds and even to an extent Schenn will fill that role (power forward). The team just seems like they are in a funk. I think Lavy needs to skate them till they puke. Seriously skate them hard. Set curfews, dining times, mandatory skates, etc. Be a real f'n ball buster. The players will find unity in hating Lavy. Once they start playing well, give them a little back. It's a shame that millionaires need to be treated like children, but in this case, they are playing like a bunch.

On a side note, and not trying to make excuses, It doesn't help that our first four opponents are actually decent squads.

Bryz held up enough to win last night, but they seemed to get too cutesy with the puck. What I have learned from the past 17-18 years of watching Marty, is that you pepper the $hit out of him and crash the net. I know it sounds easy and that I should leave the bountiful world of corporate finance for hockey coaching......anyhow.....

When he (marty) is on his game he is unstoppable. Defensive breakdowns happen, but maybe once or twice a game, not every other shift.

The problem starts and ends with Lavy. He needs to crush their spirits. I'd have Captain Giroux cleaning crappers at the WF Center, Harnell washing equipment, Bryzgalov parking cars, whatever it takes.

I feel the Marine just oozing out of my pours as I am typing.

• Like 1

@activestick

Hartnell and Simmonds and even to an extent Schenn will fill that role (power forward). The team just seems like they are in a funk. I think Lavy needs to skate them till they puke. Seriously skate them hard. Set curfews, dining times, mandatory skates, etc. Be a real f'n ball buster. The players will find unity in hating Lavy. Once they start playing well, give them a little back. It's a shame that millionaires need to be treated like children, but in this case, they are playing like a bunch.

On a side note, and not trying to make excuses, It doesn't help that our first four opponents are actually decent squads.

Bryz held up enough to win last night, but they seemed to get too cutesy with the puck. What I have learned from the past 17-18 years of watching Marty, is that you pepper the $hit out of him and crash the net. I know it sounds easy and that I should leave the bountiful world of corporate finance for hockey coaching......anyhow.....

When he (marty) is on his game he is unstoppable. Defensive breakdowns happen, but maybe once or twice a game, not every other shift.

The problem starts and ends with Lavy. He needs to crush their spirits. I'd have Captain Giroux cleaning crappers at the WF Center, Harnell washing equipment, Bryzgalov parking cars, whatever it takes.

I feel the Marine just oozing out of my pours as I am typing.

Hahaha. I hope you're right..

I think I would part with anyone except Giroux for him.

From what I heard, the Stars are close to reaching the agreement with him. But I don't see any need for him. As most of the people in this thread said, the Flyers need a defenseman (and preferably two) and a goaltender to replace a miltimillionaire joke that we have, not a forward.

My vote is also no - we need defense...or a goalie. We have a great crop of young forwards who just need a little more experience - a season or two. Don't break those 11 forwards up yet. Keep that group, play them together, let them develop together and bring in some experienced D. I'm convinced our offense is going to be amazing, best in the league type of offense, if we just let this group mature together. This season isn't necessarily showing it, but we saw the potential, flashes of brilliance, last season.

I've always said, build from the net on out. The Flyers historically don't adhere to that old adage...ever since the Clarke days. The guy with Bernie Parent in net somehow came to the conclusion that the tender was not important, an extra throw in type.....go figure.

Benn is an elite talent, he would be expensive. I agree with others, fix what is wrong and don't get sidetracked. What I really like about Benn is his work on the pk, he's a threat every time out there on the pk. Elite work ethic, super smart, super skilled..... if the trade did not include Couts, I would at least listen.

edit, ha ha....I think I talked myself out my original stance during the post....

I think we need defense and a power forward.

Defense first. Also, I would disagree anyone except Giroux for Benn. I like Benn, but I am not giving any of our centers to get him (including Schenn). Other than D and G, centers are the next highest commodity in the NHL. It is probably the hardest position to play because you have to play 200 feet (not just 120 like the other positions). Also, I am not sure what the problem is with him not wanting to sign with Dallas (ie sitting out), but I don't want a 23 year prima-dona.

Assuming Simmonds replaces Hartnell, Knuble can replace Simmonds in front of the net on his line.

Not for nothing, but isn't Hartnell a LW? Simmonds and Knuble are both RW's. Knuble is going to be a role player. Truthfully, I would put Wellwood up there. You could put rusty up there too, but Wellwood would be my choice. His speed alone and defensive responsibility would be enough for me.

Not for nothing, but isn't Hartnell a LW? Simmonds and Knuble are both RW's. Knuble is going to be a role player. Truthfully, I would put Wellwood up there. You could put rusty up there too, but Wellwood would be my choice. His speed alone and defensive responsibility would be enough for me.

I guess it's a question over natural position or responsibility. I'd rather keep someone's rear end on the goalie's mask personally.