Hartnell out 4-8 weeks, broken metatarsal

Bakanekimiwa

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-talk/Flyers-Hartnell-out-indefinitely-with-fo?blockID=826373&feedID=704

Flyers left wing Scott Hartnell is out indefinitely with a left foot injury, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

Hartnell was hit by a shot from the point from defenseman Kimmo Timonen in the third period of Tuesday's 3-0 loss to the New Jersey Devils in Newark.

"We will know more on this within a day or two as we await results of tests," Holmgren said in a statement

The Flyers' leading goal-scorer last season, Hartnell was absent from practice Wednesday. Danny Briere, who is working his way back from a wrist injury, took his spot on the top line with Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek. Briere, however, won't be back in the lineup until at least the weekend.

Hartnell was up on his feet and walking around the Prudential Center after Tuesday's game, but did so with some difficulty and had an ice pack taped to his foot.

The loss is a tough one for the Flyers, who have been without Briere and Zac Rinaldo, who suffered a skate laceration in Sunday's loss to the Buffalo Sabres. They'll be without Brayden Schenn Thursday night against the Rangers, as well, as Schenn will be serving a one-game suspension (see story).

It's possible that Hartnell's injury may force the Flyers' hand when it comes to rookie Scott Laughton. The team has five games to decide whether to keep Laughton with the big club or send him back to the OHL. If the Flyers elect to keep him past this weekend, this season will count as a full one against Laughton's entry-level contract.

With things as they currently stand, it's hard to imagine the Flyers will part with Laughton after Sunday's game in Tampa Bay, which will be his fifth.

E-mail Sarah Baicker at sbaicker@comcastsportsnet.com

Why burn a contract year for a half year at the NHL, and run up the cap a year earlier?

Do the Flyers really need to be so focused on the cap hit that it limits their choices for the best development of their draft pics? Maybe it is best to play Laughton so that he can be used as bait for a trade?

No one seemed to mind that Couturier burned a year while playing with the Flyers last year. Down the road if a player costs too much ....trade em.

At first I was surprised hearing the news about Hartnell - then I remembered that shot of him on the end of the bench after the puck hit him, grabbing the stanchion and bent over double. He looked like he was in a world of pain.

At least this time we weren't told "it's nothing, he'll be back in a week," and then 3 days later hear "he's out indefinitely." So I guess that's progress from our med staff.

Laughton sure looks ready for prime time to me. So he "burns" a year, so what? It's not like a JVR hanging out in New Hampshire, wondering whether he wants to commit to professional hockey. This is Laughton gaining NHL experience and becoming a better player for the Flyers, which after all is everybody's aim. I'll be shocked if they send him back now.

• Like 2

At first I was surprised hearing the news about Hartnell - then I remembered that shot of him on the end of the bench after the puck hit him, grabbing the stanchion and bent over double. He looked like he was in a world of pain.

At least this time we weren't told "it's nothing, he'll be back in a week," and then 3 days later hear "he's out indefinitely." So I guess that's progress from our med staff.

Laughton sure looks ready for prime time to me. So he "burns" a year, so what? It's not like a JVR hanging out in New Hampshire, wondering whether he wants to commit to professional hockey. This is Laughton gaining NHL experience and becoming a better player for the Flyers, which after all is everybody's aim. I'll be shocked if they send him back now.

Canoli:

Good to hear your voice on the forum. I hope you are well.

I came home from teaching at 10:48 and didn't like this news. Yikes. At this juncture...give the kids experience. I am hoping this is not a 2006-2007 redux.

Peace,

Howie

Pride? Not doing it like Pit?

You keep taking that shot but if you were in a fight for last place with five games left and a Lemoeux in the wings I bet you'd change that tune! Lol You act like they threw the entire season to get him when the reality is it was a handful of games the management sabotaged for the players. THOSE managers and even owners are long long gone. And winning the Cup even after Lemieux's retirement sure felt good too... Someday you MAY get that feeling... ;)

You keep taking that shot but if you were in a fight for last place with five games left and a Lemoeux in the wings I bet you'd change that tune! Lol You act like they threw the entire season to get him when the reality is it was a handful of games the management sabotaged for the players. THOSE managers and even owners are long long gone. And winning the Cup even after Lemieux's retirement sure felt good too... Someday you MAY get that feeling... ;)

I agree that your team didn't throw seasons. They were truly terrible. Instead of tanking the team on purpose Lemieux decided to have closed door sessions with Bettman and out came your string of amazing lottery picks. Say what you will but that is not how I want to see it get done for the Flyers.

Do the Flyers really need to be so focused on the cap hit that it limits their choices for the best development of their draft pics? Maybe it is best to play Laughton so that he can be used as bait for a trade?

No one seemed to mind that Couturier burned a year while playing with the Flyers last year. Down the road if a player costs too much ....trade em.

I'd rather be conservative knowing the Flyers penchant for cap management, and Laughton burning a year by playing January on. The latter just doesn't seem like a good deal, as he won't get top two line minutes. Cooter got a full NHL season, but even then, I would have rather he got some offensive minutes/line mates occasionally.

I love the NHL experience angle, but they need to be meaningful experiences. He can watch games just as easily on TV as from the pine.

Hartnell got the shot right in the laces, where there's no protection. NOt a good sign.

according to multiple sources. i'll be it's a broken foot bone... grreeeaaatttt. can we call it a season already?

Ok, time to turn this season into a Slapshot sequal. Call up Mathers, Trade for Orr, John Scott and Chris Stewart :D

I agree that your team didn't throw seasons. They were truly terrible. Instead of tanking the team on purpose Lemieux decided to have closed door sessions with Bettman and out came your string of amazing lottery picks. Say what you will but that is not how I want to see it get done for the Flyers.

A string of amazing lottery picks? The pick for Crosby looks suspicious because it was the only one held behind closed doors, but the facts are the facts. A representative from every single team was in the room when the pick was decided. So unless you're accusing your precious Flyers and 28 other teams of being part of a conspiracy to let the Pens win the lottery pick, you can't believe that it was fixed. And I just can't believe every team in the league agreed to let the Pens have Crosby. As for the pick for Malkin, he was a #2 pick, and not won in a lottery, but selected because my team sucked and Ovenchicken went first overall.

• Like 1