An era.....

Vanflyer

.... gone past.

Lindros was the most complete hockey player I ever saw. A dick, for sure, an asshole for sure. He made Messier look like an angel. Wayne, the best. Lemieux second best. Of course we can not forget about Orr or Howe. But, this man- in his prime was the nastiest, most talented hockey player I ever saw.

• Like 1

Good thing Shanaban wasn't in charge of the league disciplinary actions back then because I saw about 15 textbook charges without the arm going up.

Man Lindros was an absolute beast. What I wouldn't do to have a player like him on the current roster.

.... gone past.

Lindros was the most complete hockey player I ever saw. A dick, for sure, an asshole for sure. He made Messier look like an angel. Wayne, the best. Lemieux second best. Of course we can not forget about Orr or Howe. But, this man- in his prime was the nastiest, most talented hockey player I ever saw.

oh the memories!..... I agree with @Bertmega..what I wouldn't do to have a player like him on our roster again.....(big sigh...o well)...now back to reality

He'll always be my favorite Flyer. I watched him at the world juniors and was in awe, so I became a Flyer fan in his rookie season. I've saw tons of Lindros vids, but this one has a lot of Stevens whereLindros seemed to handle him most of the time. I now think Steven's knockout hit was pre-meditated. I'll always hate that prick.

It's just too bad that there was so much crap behind the scenes with his parents, and the feud with Bobby Clarke.

I remember one game where Lindros suffered a nasty hit, and the medical staff told him he was fine, coaching staff said he was fine. Meanwhile, in an interview later, Lindros said he was puking between periods and had yellow blurry vision, but was told to keep playing.

They really mismanaged his concussions. Imagine if that happened today, how differently his concussions would be handled.

oh the memories!..... I agree with @Bertmega..what I wouldn't do to have a player like him on our roster again.....(big sigh...o well)...now back to reality

If we had a player like him on our roster now he'd be totally ineffective and marginalized because the League as we know it today, as Bettman has ruined it, would shut him down. They'd never let a Flyer play like that. They won't ever again. He'd be called for everything. He'd have to change his game and in doing so, would not be the player he was....the player we'd want to have on our roster today. That's the shame of it.

I remember one game where Lindros suffered a nasty hit, and the medical staff told him he was fine, coaching staff said he was fine. Meanwhile, in an interview later, Lindros said he was puking between periods and had yellow blurry vision, but was told to keep playing.

They really mismanaged his concussions. Imagine if that happened today, how differently his concussions would be handled.

I don't doubt this to be true, but it's not like the Flyers are the only team guilty of this. It's a manly sport and every person who has played the game at a high level has been in the situation where a coach has old them to "get back out there" - there's a cultural aspect to it, is what I'm saying. It's good that it's changing, but there will always be that aspect to the game.

• Like 1

If we had a player like him on our roster now he'd be totally ineffective and marginalized because the League as we know it today, as Bettman has ruined it, would shut him down. They'd never let a Flyer play like that. They won't ever again. He'd be called for everything. He'd have to change his game and in doing so, would not be the player he was....the player we'd want to have on our roster today. That's the shame of it.

Even if that would be the case, Lindros would have played longer. Just a thought.

.... gone past.

If there was ever a player who was born to be a Flyer it was Lindros. He was a beast and was awesome in his prime. If there was no clutch and grab back then he would have dominated more than he did. The Legion of Doom line was great [it was the 94/95 shortened season when Clarke made the trade with Montreal to get LeClair and Desjardins after the Flyers started the season I think 1-6]. He had lots of battles with Scott Stevens but unfortunately Stevens got the last hit in that pretty much finished Lindros. If Clarke Gilles can get elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame then Lindros should have no problem getting elected.

Edited by Lindbergh31

Yes unfortunately this was also the Clutch, Grab, and Trap era as well and I am convinced that this in the end cost us at least 1 cup, maybe more. Imagine the Lindros and Legion of Doom with no obstruction?

THAT is a gripe I have always had as well. How great could Lemieux really have been were in not for the accepted style of the era taking away some of the sheer talent the game loves to display. This game is MADE for finesse players to excel, and yet a Ken Daneyko could just reach out and grab hold, stopping the entire show... was a shame... Lindros was stronger and harder to stop, but the Ken Daneyko's still took away what players of his skill could do.

• Like 1

Lindros the most dominant I ever saw...

I have looked for the clip over 100 times. The greatest thing I ever witnessed with Lindros was against the pens at the Igloo in the playoffs. The flyers were winning 2-1 in the third. They were on the PP and lindros literally controlled the puck for almost 40 seconds. He had two d-men draped over him in the corner and behind the net. At one point, the one d-man slashed lindros stick out of his hands. Lindros strong arms both the d-man, while controlling the puck with his skates- picks up his stick and sends a one handed pass to Leclair in the slot unmarked. The pens goalie made the save, but to watch Lindros single handedly control the play for that amount of time was astonishing. The pitts announcers were gushing over how incredible it was.

I have looked for the clip over 100 times. The greatest thing I ever witnessed with Lindros was against the pens at the Igloo in the playoffs. The flyers were winning 2-1 in the third. They were on the PP and lindros literally controlled the puck for almost 40 seconds. He had two d-men draped over him in the corner and behind the net. At one point, the one d-man slashed lindros stick out of his hands. Lindros strong arms both the d-man, while controlling the puck with his skates- picks up his stick and sends a one handed pass to Leclair in the slot unmarked. The pens goalie made the save, but to watch Lindros single handedly control the play for that amount of time was astonishing. The pitts announcers were gushing over how incredible it was.

Big E was unreal......thanks for the great reminder VF

What a combination of skill, size and brute strength. The guy was an animal. I'll never forget the look on Stevens face when he was fighting him. Stevens was one of the toughest and strongest players in the league and he's just got this "what have i got myself into?" look on his face as Lindros is throwing him around.

And as merrex mentioned, you should have seen him in junior playing against kids. He's the only player ever to make the Canadian mens team as a junior.

Now I want to go around throwing heavy checks at everone in the office...I'd probably get more than sitting in the box for 2, though.

Just don't go and do a bull rush at the start of your meetings. That for sure will cause problems- especially if one of your co-workers last name is Stevens.

Ma boys, Ma boys....ya I remember that clinic Lindros pulled on those actors playing footy puck in the corners. I have that tape somewhere in one of my VHS boxes. I see a Lindros (hits wise) in Rinaldo, I like how he knocks them down. I remember when we were being controlled by Jersey last year...enter Rinaldo and the game started to change after his hits. I see why Lavy is a Rinaldo fan....I am too, he needs to pick up his offense, which is what he wanted to do down in the AHL, I like him in the lineup but spending a few month's in the AHL will put him in a primary role where he can grow more into the offensive player he has the potential to be. It's a sacrafice for him, but if you put in the effort and the time to hone skills, you will be rewarded with improvement.

Paul Coffey use to spend alot of time after games riding the bike to work on his skating/speed, Chris Therrien took it to heart one summer and came back a faster skater, added another gear to his game.

Aint that the truth.