How long does Laviolette have?

Digityman

Totally agree. At times I feel Lawyer-ish in how statistics can be manipulated to make your case (either in the positive or negative, depending on which side you are arguing). All that said, it is fun (at least for me- and perhaps Aziz) to use to manipulate and argument. Perhaps not so much for Kuato!

Haha, statistics are fun indeed!

I'd give Lavy at least this season and the next, unless they are COMPLETELY out of the race for a playoff spot in two months. The team should can Homer before Lavy, but even he should get through this season. I want to see how the Schenn trade works out by the end of the year and what else he is able to do before the start of next season (i.e. sign Shea Weber to a LTD).

Edited by FD19372

@Vanflyer

You don't recall the woes we've had in the SO the past couple years? They almost threw a parade when we finally won one last year :)

I had to actually go look it up. In three years, Sergie has played in 10 shot outs. Posting a 3-7 record while 21 out of 35 shots (a .600 sv percentage). So, it certainly looks like your comment has steam. There is one question I would ask and a comment:

1) What is the norm / elite level (save percentage wise) for a goalie in shoot-outs?

My observation is that the Flyers forwards have been absolutely wretched in shootouts. So, while you can not defend the goals allowed, I also think you can not hang the 3-7 record on Bobs shoulders soley either.

Cheers

I had to actually go look it up. In three years, Sergie has played in 10 shot outs. Posting a 3-7 record while 21 out of 35 shots (a .600 sv percentage). So, it certainly looks like your comment has steam. There is one question I would ask and a comment:

1) What is the norm / elite level (save percentage wise) for a goalie in shoot-outs?

My observation is that the Flyers forwards have been absolutely wretched in shootouts. So, while you can not defend the goals allowed, I also think you can not hang the 3-7 record on Bobs shoulders soley either.

Cheers

Just FYI: http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats.htm?season=20112012&team=&viewName=shootoutsGoalies

(just found it meself)

cool-thanks. So it looks like Bobs .600 sv percentage is about fair to mid-land. Quck played an astonishing 14 shootouts last year (14 goals on 47 shots). He went 6-8. Mike Smith and Luongo numbers very similar. Varlamov was the best (undefeated at 8-0 while stopping 22 of 24 shots). It is interesting to look at that because Lundqvist numbers are very similar to Bobs (sv pctg wise), yet he is the Vezina winner. In the end, the shoot-out is a gimmick. If you don't have the studs that can shoot, it does not matter how good your goalie is.

• Like 1

This has come up a few times in the past week.

Some have been saying that Lavy is on a short leash this season, even going as far as saying if they Flyers don't turn it around over the next 5 games he's gone.

Others have said it's not his fault that he has a 3rd & 4th line that has ONE nhl regular skating on it.

Still others have argued that it's his fault the team comes out consistently flat for the first 10 minutes of a game.

What say you?

I think Lavy needs to adjust better than what he does. He doesn't have a Pronger type Anchor on D nowadays. Lilja,Foster,Gervais and an IF in Luke Schenn really, he needs to tighten up his ATTACK style and Homer said as much. Grossman can be a bull, Coburn is good, Timmo is good but fragile. Meszaros needs to be traded when possible. If you look at him in Ottawa and here, he took nosedives when Chara and Pronger were gone. He's not a top 3 guy IMO, he's a reliable 4 or 5 but getting paid too much for that role. In Ottawa he was PLUS 34 with Chara than MINUS 15 without. Medicore until teammed with Pronger and went PLUS 30, Pronger gets hurt than only PLUS 6. Combine that with all his injuries and we need more reliability.

@Vanflyer

No doubt. We have been horrible at all facets of the SO (likey why I think they should be abolished;). Not pinning bob as the fall guy at all (though, he has his part). Most flyer shootout saves meant the other team missed the net. I think I recall watching a game last year, where the play by play dudes were saying that philly has the worst record in the SO since its inception, or something.

As to your question, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure of all of bobs qualities, this, is not one. Merely suggesting that perhaps out there is an odd ball goalie who seeminly excells in this area, and thus might find comfort in being hung out to dry regularly by the coverage we now employ.

Heck, I'm available. Maybe aziz?

LOL, strong reaction to Burke around here!

I was mostly kidding. I'm not convinced that he's as good as advertised. The Anaheim team was largely in place when he arrived. I guess the one example is how much of the current Canucks team is a reflection of his time, and how much of it is Nonis. I don't follow them closely enough to know who drafted who.