Manning

Podein25

Looks like Manning has really stepped up his game of late. He's taking Gus' place in the AHL All-star game. I say call this kid up while he's on that upward curve, give him some easier minutes and let the confidence grow at the NHL level: http://saratogian.co...18100163419.txt

GLENS FALLS - Brandon Manning is already an alternate captain for the Adirondack Phantoms.

Now, the defenseman is also the team’s alternate to the American Hockey League All-Star Classic.

The ankle injury that has kept All-Star Erik Gustafsson out of Adirondack’s line-up for six weeks will also keep the defenseman out of this weekend’s festivities in Providence, R.I., Phantoms coach Terry Murray said Thursday, and Manning will replace the Swede on the roster of the Eastern Conference All-Star team.

It is the first All-Star selection at any level of hockey for the 22-year-old Manning, a second-year pro from northern British Columbia. He has posted 11 points in 37 games for the Phantoms this season.

"To get the opportunity to fill (Gustafsson’s) shoes and get the opportunity for myself to be in that spot is a privilege," Manning said. "I’m really excited about it."

Five of Manning’s points have come in his past eight games, as Murray said the defenseman "has taken a big step forward" over the past month after an inconsistent start to the season.

"I’m seeing more involvement," Murray said. "He has the puck on his stick longer. He’s making better decisions with the puck. He’s jumping into the offensive zone. He’s scored a couple big goals recently. All of it just tied together, he’s getting to where you need him to be as an alternate and one of the leaders on the team."

There are three healthy Phantoms that have put up more points than Manning, including veteran defenseman Danny Syvret, but Murray said he was "happy" Manning is the Phantom bound for the event.

In addition to the recent offensive resurgence, Murray said Manning has been a vocal leader on the team’s bench and in the locker room and is not afraid to join a scrum and leap to a teammate’s defense.

"He’s a pretty good athlete," Murray said of Manning. "He’s pretty good all-around in the game. As a young player, I think there’s a very nice upside to it. (He is) a very bright prospect in the Flyers organization."

Edited by Podein25

Manning is obviously getting more minutes with the Phantoms than he would with the Flyers, he probably has to stay until after the AHL ASG.

I'm not surprised really that he wasn't called up in place of Lilja. As Lilja can play be with the Flyers since he cleared waivers for he does not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he's played ten games or been "up" for 30 days.

As Lilja can play be with the Flyers since he cleared waivers for he does not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he's played ten games or been "up" for 30 days.

Buddy, have you been hanging out with phlfly? You`re English has taken a beating it looks like. ;)

I think I know what you mean though. So Manning is not waiver eligible?

@Podein25

lol, yeah, I should take an extra minute to proof read.

Correct, Manning has only played 4 games in the NHL. I think Lilja will stay with the Flyers until Mesz comes back. He will probably need to go through waivers again at that point since it will be past the 30 days. Not a big deal unless the Flyers were concerned about losing a depth defensemen.