Goalie against Rangers  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who does Lavy start?

2. 2. Who would you start?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would play Bob until he loses. He once again is shining in goal. Bryz seems to need a chance to find himself, I would rather he sits now while Bob is hot and work on his concentration issues.

Exactly my thought. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen. I think Lavy is going to give Bryz Friday vs the Rangers in prep for the WC.

I would love for Bob to get the start but it just doesn't make sense. They have been making a big deal about Bryz and the WC. If they want to win the WC they'll throw Bryz in there against the Rags now and hope it prepares him.

I would love for Bob to get the start but it just doesn't make sense. They have been making a big deal about Bryz and the WC. If they want to win the WC they'll throw Bryz in there against the Rags now and hope it prepares him.

But it makes for better TV if Bob is in net on Friday ;) GOALIE CONTROVERSY!

Bryz has played 20 something games and need Fridays game to prepare for the WC? I hope I'm wrong, I do wanna see the 51 mil investment turn it around and be the goalie we expect. Lavy has shown a knack for playing the better goalie in the past but that flew out the window this year. I don't think that will last long as Lavy has been impatient person.

Regarding Bob, it's nice to see a goalie make great saves to protect the lead for a change instead of letting in a stink bomb to let the other team back in the game. I don't get this, a vet playing almost double a 2nd year goalie has trouble concentrating and making neccessary stops while the young guy barely plays but has been better and sharper. Maybe Bryz isn't all that we expect him to be like most people say.

Bob earned the next start with some of the saves he made in the 2nd period last night. Unfortunately I think most of you fine folks are correct in saying that Lavi has to go with Bryz tomorrow. I hope we're all wrong as I think Bob's the better choice right now.

hands down bob should start, but lavy will go with bryz. ride the hot goalie I say and thats bob

I'm just going to take a quick look at the "hot goalie" argument for a second:

1) Bob has three starts since November 26. In that span, he's 2-1 with a 2.01 GAA and .935 SV%. I have not included two games in which he subbed for Bryz - once due to injury the other against Boston.

2) In that same span of time, Bryz is 6-1-1 in 8 starts, 2.83, .898. Removing Boston - in which, in my opinion, the entire team played like warmed over dogmeat - he's 2.29, .914 in seven starts.

Given those numbers*, I'm not so sure one is obviously "hotter" than the other, especially given that Bobrovsky - with slightly better stats - has all of three starts in the past month.

For me, the question is what's best for the team. And, given the choices that management has made, the best choice for the team is to roll their "#1 G" out there, on the road against a division rival 10 days before the Winter Classic.

And their "#1 G" is Ilya Bryzgalov.

* most important numbers for me: 8-2-1

I'm just going to take a quick look at the "hot goalie" argument for a second:

1) Bob has three starts since November 26. In that span, he's 2-1 with a 2.01 GAA and .935 SV%. I have not included two games in which he subbed for Bryz - once due to injury the other against Boston.

2) In that same span of time, Bryz is 6-1-1 in 8 starts, 2.83, .898. Removing Boston - in which, in my opinion, the entire team played like warmed over dogmeat - he's 2.29, .914 in seven starts.

Given those numbers*, I'm not so sure one is obviously "hotter" than the other, especially given that Bobrovsky - with slightly better stats - has all of three starts in the past month.

For me, the question is what's best for the team. And, given the choices that management has made, the best choice for the team is to roll their "#1 G" out there, on the road against a division rival 10 days before the Winter Classic.

And their "#1 G" is Ilya Bryzgalov.

* most important numbers for me: 8-2-1

i know what the stats are. but i use the eyeball test and who looks to be playing better and thats bob. if the flyers weren't scoring 4 goals a game those stats would look a bit different ya think

i know what the stats are. but i use the eyeball test and who looks to be playing better and thats bob. if the flyers weren't scoring 4 goals a game those stats would look a bit different ya think

Well, part of the point is that you've seen Bob start three times in a month. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. And, yes, Bryz has had his struggles.

That said, the only games they "needed' to score four to win in Bryz' December starts were Anaheim and Buffalo. 1/3 of the starts.

In Bob's three starts, they "needed" to score four to win one - at Montreal. 1/3 of the starts.

What evidence is there that Bobrovsky be "better" over a long haul? I *like* Bob and would make different decisions in different situations. We're not in a different situation. We're in this one. In this one, you start Bryz.

Again - this position is SOLELY from the perspective of the decisions management made over the summer. Bryzgalov is the Flyers' #1 goalie. You start your #1 goalie in road division games against rivals.

@radoran

I get what you mean rad. Bryz is taking up a huge chunk of capspace, so he better play. But as the season goes on, if you continue to see sub .900 save percentage, is that really who you want going into the playoffs? I thought he'd already be over what ever it is he needs to get over. But I'm still seeing a couple (usually) of goals a good (not great) goalie saves each game this wingnut plays in. The team hasn't seemed to have gotten down over them yet. But it's going to happen. And yes, the whole team sucked against the Bruins.

Bryzgalov is the Flyers' #1 goalie. You start your #1 goalie in road division games against rivals.

The reason this thread exists and the reason there is a debate is because Bryzgalov has not stepped up as a true number one (even though he is paid like one). I don't think you should discount the Boston game from his stats. Bryz is getting paid enough money where he should at the very least have kept the goal total lower.

I don't think Bryz brings much value (when you consider his contract). Statistically Bob seems to be able to hang in there on fewer starts. Bryz, on the other hand, has some of his worst games after nights off. A true number one shouldn't struggle that greatly with consistency.

I wasn't happy with his signing when it happened and so far Bryz hasn't really changed my opinion. He seems to be an upgrade over Boucher/Leighton but Bob is doing just fine.

The reason this thread exists and the reason there is a debate is because Bryzgalov has not stepped up as a true number one (even though he is paid like one). I don't think you should discount the Boston game from his stats. Bryz is getting paid enough money where he should at the very least have kept the goal total lower.

I don't think Bryz brings much value (when you consider his contract). Statistically Bob seems to be able to hang in there on fewer starts. Bryz, on the other hand, has some of his worst games after nights off. A true number one shouldn't struggle that greatly with consistency.

I wasn't happy with his signing when it happened and so far Bryz hasn't really changed my opinion. He seems to be an upgrade over Boucher/Leighton but Bob is doing just fine.

I didn't make Bryzgalov the Flyers' #1 goalie by signing him to a 9-year, NMC, $51M contract.

Management did.

I don't disagree with any of the legitimate criticisms of Bryzgalov's play. I am disappointed in it as well.

Nevertheless, it is what it is and what it is is Bryzgalov needs to start against New York for the good of the team or you have a $5.6M millstone with a no movement clause on your cap and we can "hope" that something in the new CBA "might" let us get out from under it.

I like to bet on 17-black, but you can't make a living at it.

I'm not discounting Boston - but the entire team did play like crap and was due for a stinker. Bryz was not good in the game.

But if you even include Boston, and go with the 2.83 GAA (2.87 season) thus "needing" four goals to win, Bobrovsky is 2.52 for the season (about his career average, actually) - thus "needing" four goals to win more often than not.

See, I remember the Bobrovsky who sputtered into the playoffs last year, 0-2-2 in his last five starts, giving up four to Ottawa, four to Buffalo and getting pulled in his last regular season start - against the ISLANDERS - giving up three goals on 10 shots in 12 minutes.

Of course, all goalies have bad stretches. Start Bryz.

THIS is the reason there seems to always be goalie controversies in Philly. If Bryz continues to struggle for a few more months, then yes you have to keep Bob in there. But Bryz hasn't been "horrible" like so many are saying. Every year Philly wants to play the back up goalie, back up QB, etc. Both Bob and Bryz will have good games and bad games. I just think it's too early to panic.

If you look all goals that was scored against bryz, so the most them are deflections, team is collapsed a front of the goalie and don't clear a rebounds. Same thing Bob. But Boston game is just showed they got to play all 60 min and no turn over’s any zone, because good team will score, as dallas didn't yesterday.

This my two cents on this.

Unfortunately I think most of you fine folks are correct in saying that Lavi has to go with Bryz

ah, the problem with having the 9yr, $51mil contract. makes you do things you otherwise wouldn't do. I too would start Bob. He's certainly earned it.

Edited by Spinorama

Meltzer is big on pointing out that the stats don't reflect "momentum" saves. I don't recall Bryzgalov making a lot of momentum saves this year. Worse still, I've seen him let in a lot of untimely, momentum killing softies.

Always thought Lavy went with the "hot hand" which in my opinion is CLEARLY bob right now.....I say give bob the start to send a clear message to Bryz about getting his game together real quick!!

I know no one wants to pay a guy 5 mill a year to sit on the bench but all I know is I want to WIN hockey games....we're gonna be paying Bryz 5 mill this year whether he starts every game or rides the bench for the rest of the year....Bob showed he can still play. Play him till he shows us otherwise. I know he can be "up and down" too but I thought he looked EXCELLENT in net last night...now if he would stay on his feet a little more and not "drop down" every time an opposing player gets to the hash marks with the puck!!! :)

If you look all goals that was scored against bryz, so the most them are deflections, team is collapsed a front of the goalie and don't clear a rebounds. Same thing Bob. But Boston game is just showed they got to play all 60 min and no turn over’s any zone, because good team will score, as dallas didn't yesterday.

This my two cents on this.

But that's what separates a great goalie from average ones. As flawless as New Jersey's defense was made out to be, they *did* screw up, and quite often. But that's where Marty showed his brilliance. Watch the old tapes especially during the year they won teh Cup beating Dallas in the finals. He was making saves that he had no right making.

Now, of course, there is only one Marty and it would be hugely unfair to Bryz, or whoever else, to be compared with him. But can he at least sometimes make saves that are impossible to make? I mean...... at least once every game? Is that too much to expect from the $51 mil goalie?

Edited by Mad Dog

Meltzer is big on pointing out that the stats don't reflect "momentum" saves. I don't recall Bryzgalov making a lot of momentum saves this year. Worse still, I've seen him let in a lot of untimely, momentum killing softies.

21-8-4, top of the conference. Two regulation losses and two OTLs in the past two months. He has been a real drag on this team's chances...

In the two OTLs - one a shoot out - the team in front of him has scored a total of a whopping three goals (1.5 GPG).

I think some momentum-generating offense might be something to look for?

Again - my decisionis based upon what MANAGEMENT decided over the summer. PERIOD.

I am DISAPPOINTED in Bryzgalov's play. I would LIKE IT TO BE BETTER. But as long as he's got the 9-year, $51M, NMC contract, he's your #1 goalie and the facts are simply this:

You play your #1 goalie against division opponents on the road 10 days before you see them in a showcase Winter Classic. You don't dicker around "trying out" your backup to see if you can "ride the hot hand."

And Bryzgalov - for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health - was given a big, shiny, $51M ring by Flyers management.