Report: Flyers have contacted Montreal Canadiens about P.K. Subban

pilldoc

Do you trade Coots for Subban  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trade Couturier for Subban?

• Yes, with Mezz out we need help on defense
    • No, Coots is untouchable
  2. 2. Do you even want Subban on the Flyers?

• Yes. We need defensive help..but not willing to give up Coots.
    • Yes, but I would trade ________ (fill in the blank)
    • No. I want no part of Subban on the Flyers

I would not do either one (Schenn or Coots). Laughton + a prospect and a pick. Nothing more. I do not like Subban at all. He is a Benn (prima donna) in my mind.

i'm not a huge subban fan either, but we're in trouble with our D and he is one viable option for an immediate improvement. Timo will be the most sought after FA this summer, so that tells you what we're looking at in terms of acquiring someone for cash. We're going to have to give something up to get something here. Otherwise, we stand pat and basically run the very possible risk of missing the playoffs this year.

Maybe that is the wisest course of action... I dunno... it's too early to tell. Unless there's some mystical healing going on with Pronger, our D wasn't good to start with. Now that Mez is out... this is a real concern.

@pilldoc,

I can't help but think the Flyers missed the boat on Redden. Hindsight is 20/20...

We'll see what happens with Redden in St. Louis, but I tend to agree with you on this one. Surely he would have been a risk, but that's a gamble I think the flyers should have taken. The reward potential was much greater if he could fill a hole.

We'll see what happens with Redden in St. Louis, but I tend to agree with you on this one. Surely he would have been a risk, but that's a gamble I think the flyers should have taken. The reward potential was much greater if he could fill a hole.

Unless it was via trade (in which case we would have been on the hook for his $6.5M salary), I don't think there was any chance Redden was coming to Philly.

This is really his last kick at the can, and the Flyers would have been a poor choice. He chose well in St. Louis. They are Cup favourites among many people and for good reason!

I love rumors

I don't see a trade happening to get this guy

Flyers need to stand pat and see what they have

Trading Coots for Subban really amounts to what the Flyers should have done in the first place... draft Dougie Hamilton instead of Couturier, and/or Maatta instead of Laughton.

The Flyers never learn and continually draft centers/forwards and neglect defensemen and goaltenders.

And for that, we have been competitive, but we ALWAYS have a deficiency in goal, or on defense, or both.

So while I would hate to see Coots go, I look at it as making up for their drafting deficiency. They turn a great forward prospect from the draft into a defensive prospect.

We finally did that with Sbisa, whom we promptly traded away for Pronger. I'm not saying it was a bad move, because it did get us to a Cup final, and worked perfectly with the Flyers 'win now' mentality.

Meanwhile, Sbisa continues to improve, and had 24 points last year as a 21 year old. We all know what our 37 year-old Pronger is doing. ANd I think it's more than fair to say that our goaltending neglect cost us a Cup.

• Like 1

I don't know, hind sight is always 20/20. If you could have predicted Pronger's injury then you obviously don't make that move. It would be just as safe to say, if Ryan Suter had signed with the Flyers they would be better off today. And of course, you have the obvious hindsight of Carter and Richards, neither of whom play defense.

I just think the Flyers have essentially gutted this team and started over in the last two seasons. At some point you have to let things gel. Otherwise you will never get a good read on what you were trying to accomplish

• Like 2

I'm not big on Brayden Schenn so If he went for a YOUNG player in Subban i'm ok with it.

just curious as to what you don't like about B. Schenn ?

the guy hustles, hits, plays a solid two way game, has speed, I'm certain the scoring touch will come...I'm having a hard time seeing what you're not seeing.

To me, the kid was a born Flyer, he plays with an edge and has skill.

• Like 1

just curious as to what you don't like about B. Schenn ?

the guy hustles, hits, plays a solid two way game, has speed, I'm certain the scoring touch will come...I'm having a hard time seeing what you're not seeing.

To me, the kid was a born Flyer, he plays with an edge and has skill.

I just don't see him as a star player or a 1st line type. If I can get a top 2 defenseman for him, or a package with him, I do it. I dont dislike the kid but I just don't see a star. Already for me Couturier has passed him in all ways. Couturier has more points in their young careers and is a better defensive player. Don't forget Schenn is 3.1 against the cap, that's a good hit for a 3rd line player when the cap is going down next year, and he's going into a free agent year next year. Couturier's contract is going to be re done next year or sooner as well. I hope he proves me wrong and has a great year

Edited by twpguy

True, but knock it off.

If Polaris922 (what is that anyway, a snowmobile?) keeps this anti-Timonen bile up, he's gonna get Reported to a certain demented New Mexican cop with an armadillo fetish. He's not gonna like it.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

The Flyers need to stop trading away young talent to fix problems.

Yea, I know, it's the Flyers but... let's look at it long term. Say 5 years

The 5 year plan should (or will) include these players:

Red - Untouchable and Resigned Long Term

Forwards:

Line #1 Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek

Hartnell is signed for another 6 years. I wouldn't mind seeing him packaged (if he agrees).

Giroux & Voracek resigned long term

Line #2 Simmonds - Schenn - Briere

Briere has 2 more years. Flyers will keep him through his contract. Don't resign.

Schenn & Simmonds resigned long term

Line #3 Read - Couturier - Laughton

This line should stay together for 5 years an none should be traded.

Line #4 Open - Talbot - Open

Some spots to fill with up with AHLers

Forward Needs:

Line #1 scoring winger - This should be top priority through the DRAFT or a comination of draft picks and those below.

Replacement for Briere - Line #2 scoring winger

Available for trades or 4th line duty: Wellwood, Rinaldo, Sestito, McGinn, Harry Z,

Dmen

D1 - Coburn - Timo

If Timo wants to sign a 1 or 2 year contract go for it.

D2 - Meszaros - Schenn

Meszaros has 2 years and Schenn 4 years. Resign Meszaros.

D3 - Grossman - Open

Grossman has 4 years.

Dman Needs:

A true #1 or #2 dman. This should be a top priority.

Available for trade: Gervais, Lilja, MAB, Gustafsson, Manning

Summary & Top Priorities:

Line #1 Winger

#1 or #2 Dman

Let's develop the kids here for a change! Be patient!

A (shortened) list of former Flyers that have won the cup:

Justin Williams

Fedotenko

Mark Recchi

Jeff Carter

Mike Richards

Rick Tocchet

Rod Brind'Amour

Simon Gagne

Let's not help any other teams out and build through the draft.

If Polaris922 (what is that anyway, a snowmobile?) keeps this anti-Timonen bile up, he's gonna get Reported to a certain demented New Mexican cop with an armadillo fetish. He's not gonna like it.

MrX is here? No way. Just like old times.

How about voracek and a 1st for him? Voracek has shown me nothing. He tries the same move around the dman every time and it never works. We have quite a few young players to fill his void which isn'tthat much.

You only get a few chances for a talented young dman like subban. Jmo

How about voracek and a 1st for him? Voracek has shown me nothing. He tries the same move around the dman every time and it never works. We have quite a few young players to fill his void which isn'tthat much.

You only get a few chances for a talented young dman like subban. Jmo

If Voracek has shown you nothing, I'm sure Bergevin and co. see the same thing.

The Reads and Voraceks of this world will not get us top level talent. Unless you're dealing with Howson. :)

• Like 1

I'm just saying that tazering an armadillo is considered foreplay in six counties.

• Like 1