Get Used To It

BearOnIce

I think I saw someone else post a week or so ago about how the "C" is a curse and Giroux should give it up.....something along those lines. That's all I think about when I watch him play now. Since becoming Captain, at least the last few games - even against Florida last night - he's been a little off. I'm all for him not being captain so he can get it out of his head and just play hockey. No other responsibilities to the team or anywhere/one else. Just play hockey. So I guess I'm concurring - G has looked pedestrian the last few games. On the other hand, I have been impressed by Bryz when I didn't think that would be possible.

Giroux has been mediocre for a few games now. He's the best player but is he the best leader?

A bigger problem is the overall construct of the team and management's ineptitude.

We have one of the worst farm systems in hockey and we have no depth. Doesn't bode well for the future. Our GM has no idea how to manage a hard salary cap - he throws away draft choice after draft choice trying to keep the team "competitive." And let's be realistic, we are not even close to competing for the cup - our roster is too unbalanced: too many small forwards and too many plodding d-men.

And our coach is showing himself to be a fraud. His "system" is one-dimensional and laughably easy to defeat. He has shown zero ability to adapt his system to his players. And let's not even talk about the team's special teams play or play in their own zone. Do you ever wonder what they work on in practice?

• Like 1

I am confused - and even annoyed - by people expecting this team to do anything spectacular this season. Coming into his season, we knew they had issues: lack of mobility on defense and inconsistent goaltending being the most significant ones. And now the injuries are starting piling up. Matt Read is not going to score hatricks every single game. Many of these guys already came a long way in their development, but we really need to curb our expectations for this team this year.

I think Giroux will be all right as soon as he gets used to the C and new linemates. Yes, he is underperforming so far, but he is the least of my worries to tell the truth. The other problems, on the other hand, are not going away any time soon and they are not getting resolved this season as the Flyers don't have much to give up to upgrade the talent. I am sure they will come the off-season...

• Like 3

I am confused - and even annoyed - by people expecting this team to do anything spectacular this season. Coming into his season, we knew they had issues: lack of mobility on defense and inconsistent goaltending being the most significant ones. And now the injuries are starting piling up. Matt Read is not going to score hatricks every single game. Many of these guys already came a long way in their development, but we really need to curb our expectations for this team this year.

I think Giroux will be all right as soon as he gets used to the C and new linemates. Yes, he is underperforming so far, but he is the least of my worries to tell the truth. The other problems, on the other hand, are not going away any time soon and they are not getting resolved this season as the Flyers don't have much to give up to upgrade the talent. I am sure they will come the off-season...

I think that's bang on, @Mad Dog. We need to curb our expectations.

We finished 5th in the East last year with 103 points.

How many 'extra' games did we win because of Jagr and Carle? How many games will we lose this year because we miss Meszaros and Hartnell?

I'm sure both those combined add up to AT LEAST 5 games, probably more. That's 10 points, which would have put us on the playoff bubble last year.

So, I think it's fair to say that expectations for this team is to be fighting for a playoff spot, around 7th or 8th in the East.

I agree, but why are you complaining about Couturier not meeting them in another thread?

(No offense eh)

Hose off, eh?

Not sure what you're going on aboot, but I'm not complaining that he's not meeting expectations. I'm stating that in the here and now, he doesn't look good. My only basis for comparison is last year.

aboot

LOL!

Not sure what you're going on aboot, but I'm not complaining that he's not meeting expectations. I'm stating that in the here and now, he doesn't look good. My only basis for comparison is last year.

Fair enough. I thought the two sentiments were inconsistent or contradictory, but I misunderstood I guess. Anyway, I don't think Cooter's play has been that bad. Especially compared to others.

They have to have the worst special teams that I've ever seen. Even Giroux looked absolutely pedestrian out there. Ah well.

where's giroux's sniper? i mean... G is expected to be the setup man and his own sniper. with Jagr gone, G is lacking the scoring threat from the other side. I mean Simmonds is great mucking it up in front, but who is creating space for G? it's certainly not Read. I keep wanting to see Briere on the top PP with G. I know that's putting all your eggs in one basket, but right now, we need all the eggs in one basket cause we're dropping them all.

• Like 1