Can anyone explain how Leighton is an NHL caliber goalie?

Guest FD19372

He does stink, and shouldn't be in the NHL anymore, but he wouldn't have been able to 'lose' us the cup if he hadn't have gotten us their either.

Agree

Did he 'get us there', or did a TREMENDOUS D led by Pronger, get us there, with him being the beneficiary? He was a one-trick pony, and since Chicago exposed him, he hasn't been NHL quality. I will admit though that the d played lazy last night, but he should not start another game in Orange and Black when every point is magnified in this type of season.

he wasn't THE reason they lost last night. He wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't THE reason. I could only really fault him for like 1.. maybe 2 of those goals. We were still losing that game no matter who we had in net. They played lazy D last night.

Did he 'get us there', or did a TREMENDOUS D led by Pronger, get us there, with him being the beneficiary? He was a one-trick pony, and since Chicago exposed him, he hasn't been NHL quality. I will admit though that the d played lazy last night, but he should not start another game in Orange and Black when every point is magnified in this type of season.

Greetings: I think you're both right .But we lost to Chicago for a number of reasons and the Blackhawks' 6-0 start this year speaks to that. But I would add that we have an "organeyesation" that seems to go hog wild on forwards and their development, while goalies and D-men seem to be given short shrift. Our system developed Nitty; for a number of reasons he went. Boucher came of age with the Flyers and we have had a fairly good return on investment, though probably not as much as hoped for a decade+ ago. And Bobo was went packing due to cap. But we are not a Nashville that breeds goalies.

So...we look to the Leightons of the world for backup..and overpay the free agents we anoint as goaltending saviors.

Peace,

Howie

it's funny but other than Hedman's goal on a sloppy rebound I can't really fault Leighton too much for last night. The officials called a ticky-tack game and against a team like TB, with the way our PK has been playing so far - that's a recipe for disaster.

Personally I'd rather see Boosh playing 2nd string and never wanted Leighton at all - not 2 years ago, not this year. But he looked better than I thought he would last night, and he's not the reason we lost the game 5-1.

[edit: oh yeah the Brewer goal too...even tho it hit Talbot (i think) it was still a long, not particularly hard shot that Leighton should've picked up. So....2 goals that were so-so. Not an impressive performance by any stretch but - with all the other problems on the ice last night I'm willing to give Leighton a break]

Edited by canoli

Nobody in the league was willing to claim him for half price, not a single GM, although they all had multiple shots of doing this.....but Homer thinks he is worthy of a 2 year deal....there is the problem right there. Homer simply is a tool when it comes to assessing tenders in general.