Couturier

Guest caluso

I was Couturier's biggest supporter last year, but I have been overwhelmingly disappointed in his play this year. His penalty killing has been abysmal and he looks really slow out there, playing very passively.

I know he shut down Malkin, and was a beast in the Penguins' series, but he looks slow and lazy out there this year.

Edited by caluso
  • Like 2

Hes in his 2nd year coming off a league lock out. Give him some time....I think hes been doing fine.

Why is sop***re (soph*more) edited out like its a curse word on the website lol?

SUch a dirty mouth!!!

;)

I agree with @caluso that Coots has looked bad. He's made several bad decisions in just about every game, and looks s l o w.

I know that many other Flyers have looked bad too, including Giroux. I think the only player, in my mind, that has looked good in just about every game is Read.

The game vs TB was prolly Cooter's worst game as a Flyer.

But he hasn't been that bad. Or bad at all. He's being used in all situations: PP (playing the point on the 2nd unit), first PK etc. He has improved his faceoffs and still is making smart plays all over the ice, usually every shift. He has scored a few goals, etc etc

He's gonna be just fine. No, he's gonna be great.

• Like 1

The game vs TB was prolly Cooter's worst game as a Flyer.

But he hasn't been that bad. Or bad at all. He's being used in all situations: PP (playing the point on the 2nd unit), first PK etc. He has improved his faceoffs and still is making smart plays all over the ice, usually every shift. He has scored a few goals, etc etc

He's gonna be just fine. No, he's gonna be great.

Yeah, maybe he will be great. I'm not disputing that. But that will take 7-8 years to gauge.

Meanwhile, he has been bad. That's just my opinion from watching his line. Maybe he's a little more exposed because there's no Hartnell, Jagr, Briere (until yesterday), and there are a lot of young guys up front. But he is getting exposed.

But he is getting exposed.

Yup. And he needs to respond. He needs to improve feet quickness (don't we all), his shot and continue to get stronger. He exceeded all reasonable expectations last year and he's coming back down to earth as a19/20 year old with even more responsibility placed on him. It's hardly worth worrying about IMO. I'm more concerned for B Schenn frankly.

Yup. And he needs to respond. He needs to improve feet quickness (don't we all), his shot and continue to get stronger. He exceeded all reasonable expectations last year and he's coming back down to earth as a19/20 year old with even more responsibility placed on him. It's hardly worth worrying about IMO. I'm more concerned for B Schenn frankly.

All fair points.. but I'm not concerned about Brayden for the same reason I'm not excited about Coots. It's just too early in their careers to know either way. Coots could still end up a bust. Yes, he could. And Schenn could end up being a world beater. Or not.

Potential means nothing until it's realized... unless you leverage 'potential' in a trade. And that's what the Flyers have been masters at doing. They leverage 'potential' draft picks, potential prospects into realized players, realized potential. No, it hasn't gotten us a Cup. But it's gotten us close several times, and this team is (usually) always fun to watch.

People might disagree with the Flyers' tactics - I often do!! - but I can't deny the fact that they continually ice exciting teams.

Other teams might hang on to that 'potential' thinking this is their ticket. But that's no guarantee either. And then you've spent so much time waiting.

Successful teams usually have a mix of both, and the Flyers often do. We just neglect a key position.

Same here...I know it's still a bit early, but he played during the lockout, and his cap hit is $3.1 million. He sure as hell hasn't looked like a $3.1 million dollar player so far.

I can't believe someone gave him such a stupid contract.

Actually, I can believe it... it's just that it's even dumber than the contracts Homer gives out.

I can't believe someone gave him such a stupid contract.

Actually, I can believe it... it's just that it's even dumber than the contracts Homer gives out.

2.25M of that is performance bonuses he is unlikely to achieve... Like being among top players in scoring. I forget the specifics this year, but his agent apparently thought he would have a selanne-like early career...

2.25M of that is performance bonuses he is unlikely to achieve... Like being among top players in scoring. I forget the specifics this year, but his agent apparently thought he would have a selanne-like early career...

So how does that work out against our cap? We absorb the full hit now, regardless of whether he achieves those bonuses? Is there a credit that gets applied toward future years if he doesn't?

So how does that work out against our cap? We absorb the full hit now, regardless of whether he achieves those bonuses? Is there a credit that gets applied toward future years if he doesn't?

I dont know :-) capgeek has two numbers, cap payroll and current bonuses.

They do not appear to include the bonuses but also include walker at 100%, no LTIR for Pronger, MAB, etc.

I'm more concerned for B Schenn frankly.

I know he shut down Malkin, and was a beast in the Penguins' series, but he looks slow and lazy out there this year.

Mike Richards - Since the comparison was made about B Schenn being a Mike Richards type player:

Year 1 - 2005-2006 - Age 21 - 79g - 11g - 23a - 0.43ppg

Year 2 - 2006-2007 - Age 22 - 59g - 10g - 22a - 0.54ppg

Year 3 - 2007-2008 - Age 23 - 73g - 28g - 47a - 1.02ppg

Year 4 - 2008-2009 - Age 24 - 79g - 30g - 50a - 1.01ppg

B Schenn - Played 9 games with the Kings between 2009 - 2011

Year 1 - 2011-2012 - Age 20 - 54g - 12g - 6a - 0.33ppg

Year 2 - 2012-2013 - Age 21 -

My point being is B Schenn hasn't even played a full season COMBINED yet. (82 games)

By the time he is 23 or 24 years old he will be putting up a PPG average.

Now look at Couturier's numbers:

Year 1 - 2011-2012 - Age 19 - 77g - 13g - 14a - 0.35ppg

That was playing against the other team's top line most of the time.

These kids need time to develop. Give them 2-3 years of working hard and then we can start evaluating them.

Why is sop***re (soph*more) edited out like its a curse word on the website lol?

There was a typo in one of the words in the "censored list". It has been corrected. See ---> sophomore

• Like 4

I dont know :-) capgeek has two numbers, cap payroll and current bonuses.

They do not appear to include the bonuses but also include walker at 100%, no LTIR for Pronger, MAB, etc.

Cap hit = current year cap hit for salary plus any earned bonuses to date

Homer isn't using LTIR this season yet, as it has drawbacks. Those players are on regular IR.

What are the drawbacks? Genuinely curious.

From memory, and not reading the new CBA yet...

Incoming players count fully against the cap, ie a trade. Can no longer "bank" daily cap space to make a future acquisition against that savings.

I'm not sure how the bonuses/salary work, but capgeek shows Schenn's hit at 3.1 million. Which is the part I was referring to, he is nowhere near that right now and is eating up a lot of space for very little return. I hope he steps up and becomes what everyone is predicting. Flyers are going to need it.

I was Couturier's biggest supporter last year, but I have been overwhelmingly disappointed in his play this year. His penalty killing has been abysmal and he looks really slow out there, playing very passively.

Ok, how many games this year so far?

I'm not sure how the bonuses/salary work, but capgeek shows Schenn's hit at 3.1 million. Which is the part I was referring to, he is nowhere near that right now and is eating up a lot of space for very little return. I hope he steps up and becomes what everyone is predicting. Flyers are going to need it.

Mouse-over the star (performance bonus eligible), he's only at 2.225m currently, but could reach up to 3.1m. I don't know his bonus details.

From 2011 when they sent him down

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377385

Schenn's contract, negotiated by the Los Angeles Kings will pay him $900,000 this year, plus $850,000 in entry level 'A' bonuses for a total of $1.75 million, however Schenn has substantial 'B' bonuses included in his deal that would be very cap unfriendly to the Flyers.

The 'B' bonuses in the first two years of his contract pay Schenn $1.265 million and $1.405 million if he plays 25 minutes in each of the 82 regular season games.

These are unlikely, if not impossible bonuses to achieve, although Philadelphia isn't willing to take the chance and face the possibility of having to absorb a cap hit of just over $3 million, so to cut the cap hit to a reasonable $1.75 million for this season, Schenn will be assigned to the Philadelphia Phantoms for at least one game, therefore nullifying the 'B' bonus clause this season.

In the third year of Schenn's contract, he doesn't have to play the 25 minutes in all regular season games to earn a handsome $1.5 million dollar bonus, but to qualify he would have to have an All-Star season, finish among the league's point leaders and win a major award.