Bryz Deserves Better Than This

Guest King Knut

OK, but "it's way early" for every other team as well.

Boston is 5-0-1. Ottawa is 5-1-1. Tampa is 5-1-1.

These players - to use your own gauge - are paid handsomely to win hockey games. They are paid to be ready to play when the games start. They are paid to do more than score one goal and fold the tents if things don't go perfectly for them.

Getting ready to go a month from now is wonderful, but these games count rightnow.

Yes, we should expect that Bryzgalov stops shots. But he's putting up the numbers that are needed - 2.19/.924. Where are his teammates?

We should expect that this highly-paid squad can do simple things that mite players can do - like win faceoffs. Score more than one goal a game.

We should expect that "the best player in the world" shouldn't go five games with no goals, shouldn't be pushed off the puck at the dot, shouldn't be floating around defensively and shouldn't be held off the scoresheet entirely in over half the games played.

After all, he's "the best player in the world" who is *supposed* to be setting the tone and leading the team.

Well, for that matter he has been setting the tone and leading the team.

To 2-5.

well like I said I see the same "out-of-sync" symptoms in every game I watch. Naturally some teams are doing better, facing weaker opponents, getting great goaltending or maybe their PP is wrecking the opposition etc. so the Hawks, the Bruins, TB (a few others) are on a tear right now. But the standings won't remain static and April is a long way away. You're right, the Flyers have problems and "conditioning" doesn't explain it all. But for now, for the first 15-20 games I'm willing to give everyone a break...all except you-know-who ! :) jk. Bryzgalov has looked good for the most part; he's not even on the list of "problems" right now. But forgive me if I rant and moan when he lets in a shot from the blue line aiight?

I think Bryz did great with the exception of his rebound control. He still needs to work on when to smother a shot and when to kick/deflect a shot away.

With the way this team is on face-offs, a 50-50 chance at a Flyer getting to a rebound first are much better odds than the Flyers winning a defensive draw.

My problem with the "people are out of shape" thing is that the other teams are facing the same exact thing. So...um...why is that an excuse?

I get polaris' point about the system and all that, but given the conditions why don't you, then, dumb down the system a bit? Or did Andy Reid mind meld with Lavy?

My problem with the "people are out of shape" thing is that the other teams are facing the same exact thing. So...um...why is that an excuse?

I get polaris' point about the system and all that, but given the conditions why don't you, then, dumb down the system a bit? Or did Andy Reid mind meld with Lavy?

Sometimes dumbing down the system just makes it take longer to get into the shape required to play the system. It's early and sticking with it accepting a loss or two might be the fastest way to get there.

Last night Bryzgalov's play cost you guys though, I will add that. I feel he's been a positive for you guys mostly but last night...

Sometimes dumbing down the system just makes it take longer to get into the shape required to play the system. It's early and sticking with it accepting a loss or two might be the fastest way to get there.

Last night Bryzgalov's play cost you guys though, I will add that. I feel he's been a positive for you guys mostly but last night...

I really think the only "bad goal" was the Wolski goal. And even that was another bad turnover leading to a solo breakaway.

Yes, you want your goalie to make a stop like that. But even the best in the shootouts average stopping around 3 of 4 shots. And game action isn't a "shootout."

I think more importantly, I want my defense to stop making stupid turnovers.

Also more importantly, I want my offense to score more than two goals more than once in eight games.

What "cost" the Flyers the Caps game were turnovers, power play failures, failing to score goals and the Wolski goal.

In that order.

I wondered how the Brouwer goal got through Bryzgalov...that to me was the other play that's been indicative of our season so far. Schenn, not sure whether to pressure or shot block, does neither, Bryzgalov can't pick up the mistake.

What "cost" the Flyers the Caps game were turnovers, power play failures, failing to score goals and the Wolski goal.

why do you persist in putting the goals-against last? Haha! I mean...cuckoo! Sorry Rad but c'mon...goals-against, ya know, the score - it kinda matters just a little bit doesn't it? That *is* how they determine the winner and loser right?

I'm just breaking yer chops a little. :) I agree with you, if I *had* to rate the problems last night it was certainly your order and not the "bad" goal. NHL teams have to overcome bad goals that's all there is to it. And to my mind that goal wasn't nearly so bad as Del Zotto's the other night.

If I could sum up your posts over the this season so far I'd say what you're driving at is this: If the Flyers' offense doesn't get in gear and start scoring goals it won't matter who's in net. Is that about the size of it? For the record I agree with you 100%.

The only "but" I would add, which I think you refuse to acknowledge somewhat is this - when a team is struggling for goals, and it's early, and it's a shortened season AND your #1 goalie is supposed to be (and paid like) a difference-maker...well then he *has* to pick up the slack and not give up ANY bad goals. I know it's a tough assignment but that's his job description when you come right down to it.

I am in no way blaming Bryzgalov for the lousy start to the season. I'm only saying I wish he were even better than he's been. He's been outstanding for the most part but believe it or not, right now the Flyers need even more from him. Asking a lot? You bet. Unrealistic? No I don't think so. Imagine DZ doesn't score. Imagine Wolski doesn't. Who knows whether we win or not but we DO know the Rags, the Caps would have 1 goal less. It's hard to make a case that one goal less "wouldn't have made a difference."

why do you persist in putting the goals-against last? Haha! I mean...cuckoo! Sorry Rad but c'mon...goals-against, ya know, the score - it kinda matters just a little bit doesn't it? That *is* how they determine the winner and loser right?

I'm just breaking yer chops a little. :) I agree with you, if I *had* to rate the problems last night it was certainly your order and not the "bad" goal. NHL teams have to overcome bad goals that's all there is to it. And to my mind that goal wasn't nearly so bad as Del Zotto's the other night.

If I could sum up your posts over the this season so far I'd say what you're driving at is this: If the Flyers' offense doesn't get in gear and start scoring goals it won't matter who's in net. Is that about the size of it? For the record I agree with you 100%.

The only "but" I would add, which I think you refuse to acknowledge somewhat is this - when a team is struggling for goals, and it's early, and it's a shortened season AND your #1 goalie is supposed to be (and paid like) a difference-maker...well then he *has* to pick up the slack and not give up ANY bad goals. I know it's a tough assignment but that's his job description when you come right down to it.

I am in no way blaming Bryzgalov for the lousy start to the season. I'm only saying I wish he were even better than he's been. He's been outstanding for the most part but believe it or not, right now the Flyers need even more from him. Asking a lot? You bet. Unrealistic? No I don't think so. Imagine DZ doesn't score. Imagine Wolski doesn't. Who knows whether we win or not but we DO know the Rags, the Caps would have 1 goal less. It's hard to make a case that one goal less "wouldn't have made a difference."

Yes "the score" matters.

Which is, yes, exactly, why the team needs to "score" more.

Until "goals for" isn't a problem, "goals against" aren't going to be as important.

Eight games. They've scored two or fewer goals in seven of them. Before the season started, if someone gave you that stat and told you the team was 2-6, I'll wager you wouldn't have been surprised at all.

I do understand the idea of "momentum" and how a goalie can affect it. Witness Buffalo against the Bruins the other day. Scored first, went down 3-1 on three goals in just under six minutes. Before the end of the period it's 3-3. Buffalo wins 7-4.

What "changed momentum" there? Scoring goals. Did Buffalo - yes, Buffalo with Thomas Vanek leading the way - fold the tents and get all depressed about losing the lead and giving up three goals in six minutes? No. They didn't.

And, from where I come from, "Flyer hockey" doesn't do that either.

And, having gotten the lead, they did require some pretty stellar stops from Ryan Miller. So, for me, if the offense is doing enough to win games then the shortcomings of the goaltender become "the problem."

And, brother, there are shortcomings.

funny you use the Buff game - that's kinda my point - our guys aren't doing that right now - Giroux is not playing like Vanek. It's a problem. But until it gets solved the *only* chance we have of winning games is for Bryzgalov to shut the door.

Last year we overcame bad goaltending by scoring in bunches. This year our goaltender has not been able to compensate for the drought of goals. If he could it would mean he'd be leading the league in Save%, no question about it, and GAA too. But is that totally unrealistic? Somebody has to lead the league...why not Brzygalov for a few weeks? Yes he's been solid overall. But a couple saves in low-scoring games can mean the difference between 2-6 and 4-4.

In any case you're certainly right when you stress where the improvement has to come from - the offense must get on track and support the goaltending or ultimately it won't matter if Bryz has a Vezina season.

funny you use the Buff game - that's kinda my point - our guys aren't doing that right now - Giroux is not playing like Vanek. It's a problem. But until it gets solved the *only* chance we have of winning games is for Bryzgalov to shut the door.

Last year we overcame bad goaltending by scoring in bunches. This year our goaltender has not been able to compensate for the drought of goals. If he could it would mean he'd be leading the league in Save%, no question about it, and GAA too. But is that totally unrealistic? Somebody has to lead the league...why not Brzygalov for a few weeks? Yes he's been solid overall. But a couple saves in low-scoring games can mean the difference between 2-6 and 4-4.

In any case you're certainly right when you stress where the improvement has to come from - the offense must get on track and support the goaltending or ultimately it won't matter if Bryz has a Vezina season.

I get the whole "stealing games" thing. But, again, the games have to be there to be stolen.

As such, I think the distinction is more between 2-6 and, say, 2-4-2 than 4-4. Perhaps they could have gotten a point last night if not for the Wolski goal. Perhaps they snag a point from Pittsburgh. Maybe they steal a point in New York. Giving up two of three of those and it's 2-4-2.

That said, I'd argue Bryz did win the first Rangers' game. He certainly was "best player on the ice" in the 5-on-3 kill with some huge stops.

They're not beating the Devils 0-0. It was horrid skater play that really cost them Buffalo and Tampa.

Looking at it, I say it pretty much comes out in the wash.

But watching the team play the game, I just feel as helpless as I did last season watching Bryz wandering in the woods with his huskie thinking about universes. I don't see anything that leads me to believe that the goalie making a big stop (and there have been big stops in games) will lead to the offense picking up their game.

They need the attitude they had at the end of last season and into the Pittsburgh series. They don't have it. They really haven't since they beat the Pens.

They need the attitude they had at the end of last season and into the Pittsburgh series. They don't have it. They really haven't since they beat the Pens.

ya that's for sure. Something evaporated from the Flyers' psyche after the Pens' series and they just rolled over for Jersey. So far this season they've picked up right where they left off - listless and disorganized followed by moments of furious battle by a handful of fwds trying to do it alone - Giroux, Simmonds, now Briere.

There just doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency on this team whatsoever. When they do find that urgency it's too late...and it's only a handful of guys who show it. Jake has been invisible. Schenn isn't driving the net. Couturier has made as many bad plays as good ones...on and on. Bright spots like Read and Simmonds can't do it all...

The good news is we're a young team and a lot of the mistakes - I'm referring to Couturier mostly, but Schenn as well - are correctable. I think a LOT of it has to do with Giroux and his new role as captain. God knows what must be going through his head these days...

• Like 1

Sometimes dumbing down the system just makes it take longer to get into the shape required to play the system.

Agreed, but in this case I meant for the season. If they make the playoffs, the go-go-go will kill them. It's too high-energy for every-other-night play for 5 months (not to mention all the back-to-backs). I think as a coach you have to a) look at the people on your team and 2) take the circumstances into consideration and then game plan and system build based on that. You don't force players and circumstance into your system. You system around the players and circumstances. I kept trying to tell Andy Reid that for 10 years. Oddly, he didn't listen to me (you'd think he'd have heard me through the television as loud as I yelled it!).

• Like 2