Could Terry Murray be to blame for Couturier's struggles?

Guest Samifan

Murray's coaching style is 180% different than Lavy. Considering Couturier spent the first half of the season playing for the Phantoms, is it possible his struggles are a result of the different systems?

Edited by Samifan

Murray's coaching style is 180% different than Lavy. Considering Couturier spent the first half of the season playing for the Phantoms, is it possible his struggles are a result of the different systems?

The KID was one of the best two way forwards in Juniors AND perhaps Calder worthy last year. You think Murray eff'd him up? I think not. The KID is an extremely smart AND skilled hockey player. Don't blow up his head because of this poor start (nor B. Schenn or L Schenn). The only fingers to point are at Joey Muellen and Craig Berube. Both are respectively responsible for PP and PK. This team will be fine if it can figure out one or both of those things.

The Flyers and Phantoms had synergy, but not anymore when they made the coaching change.

Very valid point to bring up Sami........................ ahh Sami Hannu Antero Kapanen what a great player. We need a player like that in our team. I hear he was playing with his 16 year old son, how's he doing?

@Vanflyer

No, just that they had the same coaching philosophy....not my words, but what was stated last season, when the GM brought this up I believe, but I'm no official spokesman on this subject, just bringing in my recollection on this matter in regards to the coaching staff. If something is of my opinion, I'll state it as such, otherwise they are posts from the past.

Are you a demon?

The KID is an extremely smart AND skilled hockey player. Don't blow up his head because of this poor start (nor B. Schenn or L Schenn).

JHC...Really! It's 6, 7 games in...frggn relax everybody. Ya we've got some holes in our lineup, some due to injury some due to Homer and Ed deciding Carle and Jagr weren't worth it. But jeez the very LAST place I'd start pointing fingers is Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn. And I wouldn't worry in the least about ANYTHING just yet...except conditioning and mental preparation. Those are the 2 things the players should be concerned about on a day-to-day basis.

Really where is all this "Coots may not be so great after all" crap coming from?

• Like 2

Really where is all this "Coots may not be so great after all" crap coming from?

certainly not from me. I mean we might as well say roo is not all that good at this point as well. Your post is dead on. The reality is that not signing Jagr does hurt. Not having Briere to start the season hurts. Having Hartnell DOWN does hurt. Underestimating Carle hurts. At the end of the day, the players still have to play. It is not the end of the world. Shockingly, the one guy that we guessed to be our worse players has been perhaps our best.

No, just that they had the same coaching philosophy....not my words, but what was stated last season, when the GM brought this up I believe, but I'm no official spokesman on this subject, just bringing in my recollection on this matter in regards to the coaching staff. If something is of my opinion, I'll state it as such, otherwise they are posts from the past.

your completely lost me. So you are saying it is all conjecture and opinion on your part? You mention last season when Coots was doing fine and Murray was not even here. I am totally lost on your thread of thought here. How you can connect last-season to this season and point fingers at Murray is beyond me. Coots was the best player on the Phantom team (followed by B. Schenn). If I am to read you post correctly, that was in despite of murrays coaching abilities (or inabilities according to you). ??

P.S. My head can swivel- why do you ask?

@canoli

Your right about not hitting the panic button. You hit the nail on the head with that comment about conditioning and preperation, losing Jagr actually hurt more than Carle in the develooment side of things. C'mon asking for the keys to the facility isn't a big enough sign of being a Winner, than what is. Goodbye working out after dark. Goodbye focusing on your game even though the game is tommorow. Goodbye working out to improve your conditioning. There is a big hurtle to overcome in this shortended season with no preseason camp and no preseason games. But that's where a professional has to show that they want it, not that it's given to them. Somewhere along the lines the players get lost in translation of what is an amateur and who is a professional.

Laziness also has something to do with it. Mental laziness as well.

But that's where a professional has to show that they want it, not that it's given to them. Somewhere along the lines the players get lost in translation of what is an amateur and who is a professional.

Laziness also has something to do with it. Mental laziness as well.

While the execution has not been where I would expect it, the coaching has not been great either. Lavy is the head coach, but I look particularly to special teams (joey Muellen and craig berube). Wtf is going on with the PP and PK. Those are the places where we are losing games.

The Flyers and Phantoms had synergy, but not anymore when they made the coaching change.

your completely lost me. So you are saying it is all conjecture and opinion on your part?

actually the opposite bud. I don't have the quote of I believe the GM talking about how it's going to help the Flyers that Adirondak is on the same page as the Flyers when it comes to systems and such. I don't really have an opinion on this matter, but thought Sami brought up an interesting point. What I brought up about synergy was more in line with what the GM brought up on his statement last year, but I failed to mention that and see how it got misconstrued as my comment.

Coots was the best player on the Phantom team (followed by B. Schenn). If I am to read you post correctly, that was in despite of murrays coaching abilities (or inabilities according to you). ??

Ya bad read, since I wasn't clear so....Good Read! for following the scent. But your right Coots excelled, Schenner too. Though systems are different so where the competitors. So it's hard to judge with different variables and the fact that the Panthers show'd obvious signs that we showed in other games when we lost. It gets more muddled up when doing comparisons with teams.

But for all to remember it's too early in the season to hit the panic button, but in reallity we don't have much time left in this season.

So yah we're screw'd whether we like it or not, but so is everyone else in the league. This is where bad/slump Teams will get to be weed out in the short process.

P.S. My head can swivel- why do you ask?

Please downt tail Momma!

I don't have the quote of I believe the GM talking about how it's going to help the Flyers that Adirondak is on the same page as the Flyers when it comes to systems and such. I don't really have an opinion on this matter, but thought Sami brought up an interesting point. What I brought up about synergy was more in line with what the GM brought up on his statement last year, but I failed to mention that and see how it got misconstrued as my comment.

Okay- so somebody told somebody about something that told somebody else, yada, yada, yada. Is that what you are saying? Or are you specifically opining that Murrays style is not the same as Lavi's (which would be accurate). What I want from my AHL coach (and particularly one that is tenured in the NHL), is to teach the kids the fundamentals of sound defense. If a player has any hope to God of playing in the NHL, they have to learn pro defence first. I think Murray brings that quality and is a good teacher of kids.

Or maybe you are saying Lavi is a lousy coach??

Though systems are different so where the competitors.

Playing against some of the best young NHL players is not necessarily saying they were playing against the Hansons.

So yah we're screw'd whether we like it or not, but so is everyone else in the league. This is where bad/slump Teams will get to be weed out in the short process.

While I am not a stepford, I think the problems are correctable somewhat:

1) The D has not been as bad as I thought it would be.

2) The G has not been as bad as I thought it would be.

3) The PP / PK has not been anywhere near as good as I thought it would be.

4) The 5-on-5 play has been average at best. I will attribute some of that to personnel changes / injuries.

I think if 1 and 2 continue to hold true and 3 can be rectified, we will be in the hunt.

I don't know you look at the stats of all the players on the Phantoms (minuses everywhere) and they look like a train wreck....just not pretty....could be something too it...whole lot of talent just floundering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Edited by OccamsRazor

I believe Terry is a sound coach to improve defensively. I think Sami meant the polar opposite in that Lavy is a good offense oriented coach, that's for sure, and in Terry is a very sound defensive coach. In the Playoffs you need good defense style control of the game.

I will try to find that quote of the GM saying how he believes the play style of the AHL coaches are going to be in line with what Lavy is doing so that quote "all this here say will be put to rest" unqoute.

Edited by LegionOfDoom

With all of your forwards not playing good so far I think is unfair to point fingers on Coots or Murray. Even Giroux does not play like he could or like we would like to see him. Heck even D (in last few games) and Goaltending in better right now than the Forwards. The PP suck, we do not score goals (except against FLA). Coots and Schenn are in their second full season. Schenn been injured mostly in 2011-2012. And YES not having Jagr hurts a lot.

Wow, this post has generated alot of good discussion. I in no way intended to say that Coots sucks, he like 90% of the team is struggling to start the season. My thoughts were that Coots had been playing 4 months under Murray, who preaches D first. Lock-out ends and Coots is now playing Lavy's run and gun style. Not being a professional athlete, I was just wondering if it is difficult for a player to flip a switch and play a different system.