The Laughton Experiment

flyercanuck

We had a rare Tuesday night game so I missed the Philly/NY game. I see Scott Laughton wasn't on the gamesheet so I take it they sent him back to the 'Shwa?

Given the way this season is shaping up I think it's a good decision. Don't get me wrong, the kid looks like he can play in the NHL. In all honesty I think he was one of our better forwards over his 5 game stint.I just don't think burning a year on his ELC is worth a short season on a bad team.

On a side note I noticed the Jackets didn't even give Laughtons junior teammate Boone Jenner a look. Now THAT guy should be on Columbus' team.

• Like 1

We had a rare Tuesday night game so I missed the Philly/NY game. I see Scott Laughton wasn't on the gamesheet so I take it they sent him back to the 'Shwa?

Given the way this season is shaping up I think it's a good decision. Don't get me wrong, the kid looks like he can play in the NHL. In all honesty I think he was one of our better forwards over his 5 game stint.I just don't think burning a year on his ELC is worth a short season on a bad team.

On a side note I noticed the Jackets didn't even give Laughtons junior teammate Boone Jenner a look. Now THAT guy should be on Columbus' team.

He would have made the squad if McGinn hadn't impressed over the 2-3 games he was here with Laughton. He made the decision easier.

• Like 1

I agree Bre. Getting Briere back helped also. I just found it strange there was nary a peep about it after he had a fairly impressive debut.

Yeah, I agree. He looked very impressive, but like you say, getting Briere back and McGinn emerging as serviceable, there was just no need to keep him up to be buried in the lineup.

@flyercanuck

homer said he wanted Laughton to have the opportunity to play in all situations, so his game can grow, he wouldn't get that with the NHL club through a regular shift. he wants him killing penalties and getting power play time.

i am just happy he didn't trade him and a 2nd for insert a washed up defensman's name here.

@flyercanuck

homer said he wanted Laughton to have the opportunity to play in all situations, so his game can grow, he wouldn't get that with the NHL club through a regular shift. he wants him killing penalties and getting power play time.

i am just happy he didn't trade him and a 2nd for insert a washed up defensman's name here.

Kid looked good. Good future. Now what thhe hell happened to the defense this year.

I'm still pretty high on all of our young forwards (Schenn, Couts, McGinn, Laughton, Simmonds, Voracek, Wellwood, Giroux, and I'd even throw in old man Read - these guys will be good, some already are good -- they just need to remember that -- or getting better.....hopefully sooner rather than later) despite the start to this season, so I agree with everyone about Laughton. Something to look forward too.

@BearOnIce - what happened to the defense? I'm afraid we never had one. And my bigger fear is that, unlike the crop of good young forwards we have, we don't have anyone really able to step up over the next season or two to strengthen the D or to create a D. It's like we have nothing. What we do have in the system will take much longer to develop.

I think long term our defense will be the problem. But I agree with you - our offense is not scoring at this time, but they have the potential to light it up and I think they will. The current group will only get better with age and experience and more quickly than any D prospects we have....if we even have anyone in house. We're looking at bringing in top D and that's going to cost us.

@flyercanuck

The season is still young my friend. Homer will find some way to get rid of that pesky 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

Weber trade! Lol. Defense isn't the problem! Lol. Man you guys are funny! ;)

oh don't you worry pal we're gettin Shea Weber ...

(of course by the time we do he'll be 39 years old and the move will cost us yet another crop of young, gifted players)

... but we're getting Shea Weber alright. :)

• Like 2

I'm still pretty high on all of our young forwards (Schenn, Couts, McGinn, Laughton, Simmonds, Voracek, Wellwood, Giroux, and I'd even throw in old man Read - these guys will be good, some already are good -- they just need to remember that -- or getting better.....hopefully sooner rather than later) despite the start to this season, so I agree with everyone about Laughton. Something to look forward too.

@BearOnIce - what happened to the defense? I'm afraid we never had one. And my bigger fear is that, unlike the crop of good young forwards we have, we don't have anyone really able to step up over the next season or two to strengthen the D or to create a D. It's like we have nothing. What we do have in the system will take much longer to develop.

OH1FlyersFan:

Ok, so does Holmgren take Ed's checkbook and go big D game hunting again about mid-way though thhe season when a lot of teams, like the Flyers, have tanked? Going to have to give up a forward or two. I see no way around it.

BOI