Snider Speaks

Guest hf101

also one would need to take into account PPG when scored when 2 men down vs 1 man down....obvious scoring on a 5 on 3 has a much greater effect then say being on a 5 on 4 PP

I ran just the Flyers numbers for last season, and whether or not they scored a PPG in a game was not a factor (statistically) in the outcome (W/L). However, yielding a PPG against was a factor (though only explained 14% of the outcome... that means 86% of the outcome is due to other factors, such as 5 on 5 F/A ratio, etc).

Interesting tidbit: the Flyers won every game in which they scored a SHG (6 games), and went 2-5 when allowing a SHG.

If this team looks to be going into a tail spin with no playoffs I say sell. Kimmo,briere, breezy..lololo. Sry had to with breezy. Briere is an easy sell I believe. Not only can we absorb some of the cap hit this year in a trade but his actually salary is 5 mil over next two. I would believe he would waive his no trade to help the team out. Kimmo deserves a serious chance at a cup. I believe both players can grab us two first rounders combined. That would give us three all together with one being a lottery pick. If we would get lucky to grab Seth jones and Ryan pulock around 1st overall and 14 over all,the last being a big iffy at the number. Then our d would be stacked. Anybody look at both those dmen I mentioned? Check them out if not. Sign getzlaf if possible. D would look impressive with tons of potential. With a possibility of bringing back kimmo at a lower rate it would look like ......kimmo-jones, pulock-Schenn ,mezzy-coby. Not back. Now I'm not saying this current team sucks and its a lost cause. But I'm ok with one bad year to retool once again. It happens. We all saw what homy did last time we stank up the joint.

I don't think anyone is giving us a 1st round pick for Kimmo..he's 36 and a UFA after this year. I love the guy, but he's not worth that. There is one reason I doubt Briere waives...actually, there are 3 reasons...his 3 kids. He has stated numerous times, he doesn't not want to move/leave his kids. That was his biggest issue with going overseas during the lockout.

I would kill to get Seth Jones, but with the new lottery system the NHL has adopted, if the Flyers were to miss the playoffs, I think they barely miss...which makes their odds of getting the number one pick highly unlikely.

• Like 1

@DaGreatGazoo On the surface, a first rounder for Kimmo does sound outlandish. But, you never know with some of the seriously crazy prices being paid at the trade deadline. If there are only 3 quality defensemen available at the deadline and two of them get ******ed up quickly, the price goes up for the last guy available. Another variable is injuries....if a team like the Rangers has Girardi and Del Zotto go down late in the year, a guy like Kimmo has his price driven up. It's all need and supply and demand. A few key injuries on contending team and or a serious lack of other quality d-men available and you can ask for the world for Kimmo. Plus, not only is he steady and smart in his own end, he can run a pp, which is some serious insurance to have for a deep run. Plus, a contending team would be giving away a 25-30 slot, so not a huge price to pay in their minds.

• Like 1

Finishing off the year on another Team, to then rejoin the Flyers after the summer isn't that bad after all.

If that's what actually happens is OK, but in all honesty I don't know if the organization will resign the players after the season is over. I mean look at what happened to Carle(played the good soidler), look at Jagr(played the good soilder), to some extent Gagne.

All these players never came back. Now you might say they went somewhere else where the money was greater, but in the beginning they all had good intentions with signing for the club and the club told them to please hold off til' later in the year.

Same thing with Ville Lieno. It just ended up that all these players probabely felt snubbed to a lesser degree and said, "I need to find a job somewhere, I need my money and I need it now!"

Finishing off the year on another Team, to then rejoin the Flyers after the summer isn't that bad after all.

If that's what actually happens is OK, but in all honesty I don't know if the organization will resign the players after the season is over. I mean look at what happened to Carle(played the good soidler), look at Jagr(played the good soilder), to some extent Gagne.

All these players never came back. Now you might say they went somewhere else where the money was greater, but in the beginning they all had good intentions with signing for the club and the club told them to please hold off til' later in the year.

Same thing with Ville Lieno. It just ended up that all these players probabely felt snubbed to a lesser degree and said, "I need to find a job somewhere, I need my money and I need it now!"

No, the team told Jagr and Carle that they would be getting hometown discount offers once the team found out if Suter and Parise would sign.

That said, Jagr is playing in Dallas because of the money. Period. Heckuva hockey player, but you don't go to Dallas at this point to "win." Quite frankly, unless the Stars are thick in the playoff hunt, I expect them to deal Jagr to "a contender" at the deadline.

Carle? Got a long term deal from a team that demonstrated they wanted him and has one of the top young players in the game (Stamkos) as well as a veteran leadership core (St. Louis/Lecavalier) that has actually won a Cup.

Both those guys won big.

The Flyers lost every bet they placed.

• Like 1

I ran just the Flyers numbers for last season, and whether or not they scored a PPG in a game was not a factor (statistically) in the outcome (W/L). However, yielding a PPG against was a factor (though only explained 14% of the outcome... that means 86% of the outcome is due to other factors, such as 5 on 5 F/A ratio, etc).

Interesting tidbit: the Flyers won every game in which they scored a SHG (6 games), and went 2-5 when allowing a SHG.

It would be interesting to see how many game winning goals are scored 5-on-5 vs. PP / PK.

@doom88 ha ha...I got a kick out of that also doomster. I guess, when used in a crude context, it could be construed as offensive, but not the way I used it....no harm, no foul is my take. Understandable that certain words can be used in different ways, so to avoid the problem, you just ban the word. After all, we want to attract all kinds of fans, even be kid friendly, so it should pass a parents smell test I guess. I'm cool with it.