Penguins sign Zach Boychuk

Digityman

@Digityman Good solid addition by the Pens. Plays a very respectable all round game. I would venture to guess he would be our 4th or 5th best d-man, can't for the life of me figure out why Homer passed on him....stupid on his part, considering how we need depth on defense.

Bylsma says Boychuk could get work on Malkin's line. It seems the Penguins have not yet found a winger to play with Malkin. I guess they will give just about anyone a chance right now. Tangradi and Jeffrey didn't seem to pan out.

I can't see how this will really work, the less than stellar forward played one game for the Hurricanes this year and was being sent back to the AHL before the Penguins picked him off waivers.

The scoop on Boychuk is that he is fast and shifty, but is easily knocked off the puck and isn't responsible defensively. He hasn't really developed much in 5 years.

Great that the kid will get a chance in a new organization, but I think the Penguins will still be looking for a winger for Malkin.