Any computer gurus?

Guest sekkes85

try resetting the cpu and hook up all my old gear to rule out the mother oard if it works.

yep, that's the place to start. Now that I understand you pulled your HSF. Clean off all the old TIM with 90+% alcoho, reapply new paste then install your 8150. I know your Enermax HSF came with TIM pre-applied but you should wipe that off and use new stuff. You're going thru all the trouble of pulling your HSF, might as well get some Arctic Silver 5 on there - or any of the better TIMs.

Before you re-seat the proc do a good visual check of the LGA and the proc, make sure there are no bent pins or anything funky going on in the array. Clean it out if you have to...compressed air in a can or a vacuum may help but be extremely careful. The cans use a propellant that isn't exactly electronics-friendly and using a vacuum can produce static electricity, which, if you're really unlucky can fry your board.

I bet once you clear everything up with the proc installation you'll be fine.

/

I installed the new fan and the new card, and am no longer getting any video input to my monitor.

did you replace the heatsink fan on the CPU...or the entire heatsink? if the entire heatsink, then yeah, i'd make sure it is seated correctly, etc. if just the fan.....any chance you forgot to plug the fan into the motherboard? some bios get pissed if the motherboard can't control the CPU fan and will pause during post. you should still see the partial post on the screen, but something to check.

other thought, have you tried a different power connector for the video card? possible one rail blew? is it a modular PSU? disconnect and reconnect at the PSU itself?

last thought is to just pull all power connections on the entire rig and let it sit for an hour. i've had latent static charge build up while working on a machine and have the PSU sit staring at me doing nothing. pull each cable lets it dissipate.

last last thought, are you getting any lights or noise from the mainboard when you power it up? should at the very least heard the mem test beeps. if not, check the PSU-to-MB.CPU power connectors?

That's where I was going next.. RAM. I've had several machines where a bad RAM module stops the entire boot process pre-video. Check to make sure they're secure. I didn't wanna add more till he followed up with Canoli's suggestions! LOL

I did not delete the drivers before I switched (saw I should have done that after the fact). Would that completely crap out the new card though? Also when putting the old back in it still wasn't working.

I am not sure going to your buddies is and putting the card in there is going to be the best thing to do. I would take it to where you purchased it and see if they have a "test" machine they can put it into.

Do you see anything at all (even bios options on boot up)??

Did you do a back-up restore disk??

I am not sure going to your buddies is and putting the card in there is going to be the best thing to do. I would take it to where you purchased it and see if they have a "test" machine they can put it into.

Do you see anything at all (even bios options on boot up)??

Did you do a back-up restore disk??

I bought it online at newegg.com.

Depending on how the game goes I will play around with it more tonight based off Canoli's thoughts. Might have to fiddle tomorrow since I'm already a few deep :)

RAM. I've had several machines where a bad RAM module stops the entire boot process pre-video. Check to make sure they're secure. I didn't wanna add more till he followed up with Canoli's suggestions! LOL

Agree With This

Highlighted Text Quote

Q

Yeah, but the ram would not go defunct just on switching cards. ::)

Aziz comments on static are interesting- particularly if done in the winter time (where you see allot of static).

I bought it online at newegg.com.

Depending on how the game goes I will play around with it more tonight based off Canoli's thoughts. Might have to fiddle tomorrow since I'm already a few deep :)

What kind of MOBO was your friend using and what kind of Monitor?? I do agree with Canoli in trying to just do a bare bones test.

You never did answer if you were able to see anything (ie get into BIOS)?

Yeah, but the ram would not go defunct just on switching cards. ::)

Aziz comments on static are interesting- particularly if done in the winter time (where you see allot of static).

Static shock/charge will damage it though if he wasn't careful. Or you hit it reaching in there and break it just loose enough to cause an issue.

Static shock/charge will damage it though if he wasn't careful. Or you hit it reaching in there and break it just loose enough to cause an issue.

Totally agree. I live in the tropics and forget about the static part of the equation. The card works at least. I extremely doubt he fried the mother board. Canoli seems to be much smarter than most of us at this. Freakin' italians! :-P

Fiddled around during intermission (and apparently then some since I missed a few goals...). I put in my old equipment, got everything moving... still no video. I hooked in the new card and the fan is working on that as if everything is a go, still no video though!

Did you double check the simple things, screen plugged in to power, card, and input set correctly? Did you ensure you're using the same output on the card that was previously shown to work?

Any abnormal beeps or chimes?

Does your MOBO have a digital readout for error codes? You'll need to leave the side of the case open for this step, and know the manufacturer of the MOBO for the lookup.

I hooked in the new card and the fan is working on that as if everything is a go, still no video though!

hey, man, sorry this is continuing to be a pain. few things as annoying as new computer hardware that won't cooperate.

thinking about this, i keep coming back to power connectors. specifically from the PSU to the motherboard. even more specifically, the CPU power connector. labeled "8-pin ATX power connector" in this picture, in the upper left between the CPU slot and the I/O ports:

G452-1042_vcallout02_cms_667675.jpg

it is in the exact spot to get in the way when trying to swap out CPU fans, so i imagine you disconnected it for that part of the operation....and if it isn't reconnected, or not seated correctly, you'll see pretty much everything you are seeing. which is to say, signs of power getting to devices but pretty much nothing actually happening. i did exactly that on the machine i built before my most recent. spent 2 hours taking everything out only to see that one extra power cable just hanging there.

anyway, give that a check. pull it out, re-seat it. do the 24-pin mainboard power connector, too, while you're at it.

Computer is a go, new fan and all!

ONE of the darn case fans isn't working but I'm not concerned at this point. The CPU, and Graphics temps are wayyyyy lower than before so I'm happy.

Just ran a game for about an hour and everything is looking good, woohoo!

• Like 1

So I built a new computer about 6 months ago, it was working fine. The fan on the CPU was really loud and I wanted to upgrade my graphics card as the other was from my old computer.

If a guy starts a thread titled "any computer gurus out there?" you wouldn't expect him to have built his own computer. I can barely build a sandcastle.

Woooooo!!! Got the card working!!!!!! I unplugged everything and redid it and its a go! Now to see if I can get the new fan in...

Thanks so much for all the input everybody

Agree With This

Congrats!!! It looks as Aziz gets the geek of the day award!! Funny how the simplest solutions often seem to be the best solutions. Computers are very finicky when it comes to seating and power. Often re-starting the re-build is the best bet (ie. process of elimination). The fan should not be a problem. That is the easiest really. What fan are you putting in again?? Most of the PC's I build these days, I put in dual panel fans (ie. the box i use has two panel boards on each side that are removable- so I cool both sides of the system- in addition to the norm that comes with PSU / CPU and high-end cards). Living in the tropics, it keeps the machines cool enough- even for gaming. Not sure what the standards are in NA these days.