Timmo should be dealt at deadline if we are out of running

Guest RonJeremy

Every team is going to be looking for a veteran dman for the playoff run, and at the deadline, teams always overpay, think about what we gave up for Kubina and Grossman ,so Timmo is worth at least a first rounder or a top young prospect. The best thing about it, is we can re-sign Timmo in the off season when he is an UFA. This is an opputunity to land a much needed prospect or first rounder. We need to statr building up our prospect pool, because other than Laugthon all we have in our system are 3rd pairing defensemen, careeer minor league goalies, and 3rd line forwards.

Then in the offseason we also go after Getzlaf and Perry, then we can trade someone like Schenn or Coots for a stud dman. Lets face it, we dont want to trade those young guys, but we have no other way of getting a top young dman. A trade is inevitable.

Timmo may not want to return to this cluster F of a team. I hear you though, if the Flyers are out they should deal him to a legit contender. Homer always overpays with picks, there is no way in the world Timmo lands the Flyers a 1st round pick. Maybe a solid prospect and a 3rd round pick, but that is about it.

As much as I would hate to see Kimmo go I think the club owes it to him to go to a contender. There is no way Kimmo will bring anywhere near a 1st round pick unfotunately. As Bert said... maybe a decent prospect but I dont think you could expect anything more. Cooter and Schenn I am not giving up on... BUT, if you can get a Getzlaf and Perry and then dangle them as trade bait - well, I am all for it..

Id love to see Schenn and Coots stay in Philly, but being realistic, there are no UFA defensemen available, there are no top 2 dmen in our system, so the only way to get a top young dman is via a trade. The only players other than Giroux that can get us any help on D are Coots and Schenn, and Giroux is obviuosly not being traded.

got to agree with murray and bert - no way Kimmo fetches a 1st round pick.

and to me...what is the point of going after a "stud D-man" (again) by trading away the core of our youth? Damn! Just DEAL with some bad seasons and DRAFT D-men higher up than the later (4th, 5th etc) rounds. Yes every prospect is a crapshoot but we'll NEVER get anywhere by chasing a high-priced "stud D-man." Again.

Full disclosure: I was for the Pronger trade and that seems to argue against what I'm saying now. It does in a way but I think those times were much different than what's going on today. The team pre-Pronger was a complete mess, undisciplined and without any personality or direction. At the time I said we needed "adult supervision" and Pronger brought it.

Today things are different. We have a real HC, like him or not. We have a strong leadership core and best of all we've got some amazingly talented young forwards. Let's not throw them away chasing another pipe dream D-man please.

To me a stud dman is not another 35 year old Pronger type, im talking about a trade like the Desjardins trade, where we gave up Recchi, a great young forward, for a great young dman. A trade where you will get a young dman who will anchor the defense for the next ten years, but your going to have to give up an equally good young forward to get him. Even if we drafted a real good dman this year, unless Denis Potvin is avaialble, that dman is not an impact player for at least 2-3 years. Another reason you trade a good young froward for a good young dman, is simple, its much easier to find a good forward in the draft ,especially in the later rounds than it is to find quality dmen in the draft.

Our defense has ZERO puck rushing, playmaking or PP skills, other than 37 year old Timmo, we do not have anyone with that type of skill, so if timmo decides to retire, what do we do then? even if he does not retire he is fading. , So you wait and see if a deal for a guy like Yandle or a similar guy becomes avaialable you will see the Flyers part with Schenn or Coots, its inevitable. there is no other way to get a top dman unless you give up something. Trying to win hockey without a top dman, is like trying to win in baseball without a top pitcher.

Of course, on top of the lack of an offensive defenseman... we are also in need of a goal scorer as well. The 3 keys to our PP were Carles puck rushing ,Jagrs board work and Hartnell in frontHartnell is the only one left, when he comes back from injury.. In the offseason we can target some good scorers like Getzlaf or Perry, but there is no defense to be had. So if we can sign two forwards who are still young, then we can sacrifice one of either Coots or Schenn for a good young dman. i really dont see any other way to get one. We should have drafted Doug Hamilton, Coots is gonna be great, but as I said a great dman is much harder to find, and Hamilton was not a longshot, he was equally rated as Coots. Homer just seems to have a hardon for centers, we also passed up on defense in the last draft as well. I d rather trade Voracek but I dont see him getting us as much as Schenn or Coots.

Just for the record, Timonen has a NMC and would have to approve any trade.

Is this "progress" that just two years removed from the Stanley Cup Finals we're in the comfortable position of hoping we can unload our best defenseman for a pick at the deadline "to a contender"?

I don't see this team tanking and I also don't see anyone really running away from the 6-8 seeding in the playoffs. Flyers talent alone should lift them into that position - like it or not. This organization* also does not admit defeat easily. To believe that the team will be far enough out of contention for a playoff spot at the deadline that they will want to deal Timonen and Timonen will want to go is, for me, a stretch.

But, yes, in the event that the worst has happened, maximize whatever short-term assets you have.