Goalie Controversy in Pittsburgh?

Irishjim

As the time clock hit zero last night against the Rangers, many Penguins fans ran to their computers to begin the debate. “Should Vokoun be the Pens #1 Goalie?”. It seems year after year people start a controversy on whether or not Fleury should be traded, and its usually because the backup has a couple good games.

One thing I have always noticed about Fleury is, he starts off slow almost every season and just because the season is shortened doesn’t change that fact. Now I don’t want to take anything away from Vokoun, but the game against the Rangers was not won just because of him, the Rangers played very poor and the Pens defense was very solid in their own end.

Here’s a quote from Vokoun: “It was a great game by my teammates. I obviously benefitted from that.” -Triblive.com

Times have been tough for the Penguins so far this season, they have been unable to succeed with any consistency, and haven’t answered some of the problems at hand. So it’s easy to see why the fan base would be quick to jump on the “Trade Fleury” bandwagon. But that doesn’t mean its right. People need to realize that Fleury has been a huge reason why this team has succeeded in the past, he brought this city Two Conference Championships and One Stanley Cup, and even after everything he has done, he keeps on smiling when the fans are ungrateful.

I understand Pittsburgh fans are passionate about their sports and their sports stars, but its time they realize that some things just need to let go, Fleury isn’t going any where, he will be the #1 goalie now and for years to come, so relax, sit back and enjoy the show.

Season stats on Both Goalies

Each have faced 100 shots

Vokoun: 2-1-0 GAA 1.81, SV% .940

Fleury: 2-2-0 GAA 2.95, SV% .890

- Robert

Follow me on Twitter @rslavi_HTPens

@Irishjim

A lot of people who don't know much about hockey shout that crap every year. Those of us who follow the sport generally support Fleury knowing he starts slowly and needs a lot of play time to get things going. He's been great in the second half and then playoffs, until last year anyway...

I believe MAF is firmly entrenced as the #1 goalie for the Pens. Vokoun is there as insurance, in case last years playoff problems arise again...giving tham a viable option to fall back on. However, when you have ALREADY won it all, you have a LOT of leash to hang yourself. He is a proven commodity in this league, I believe Pens management will back him and support him through any slumps etc.

I believe MAF is firmly entrenced as the #1 goalie for the Pens. Vokoun is there as insurance, in case last years playoff problems arise again...giving tham a viable option to fall back on. However, when you have ALREADY won it all, you have a LOT of leash to hang yourself. He is a proven commodity in this league, I believe Pens management will back him and support him through any slumps etc.

I still firmly believe the problem in the playoffs last year was fatigue. It was in inordinate number of games for him to play and it showed.

I still firmly believe the problem in the playoffs last year was fatigue. It was in inordinate number of games for him to play and it showed.

Seven goalies played more regular season games than MAF last year- including two other goalies that were in the playoffs (one of which was the conne smythe / stanley cup winner).

Seven goalies played more regular season games than MAF last year- including two other goalies that were in the playoffs (one of which was the conne smythe / stanley cup winner).

I'm not comparing him to other goalies though, I'm comparing him to what he's used to playing. Johnson had an abysmal year last year and as a result Fleury got little rest towards the end of the season. He played roughly the same number of games but ended up with over 3700 minutes. Only one time has he gone over 3700 minutes and made it to the second round in the playoffs. He's made it no further than that in the four times he's hit 3700 minutes in the regular season.