What's with all the whining?

Polaris922

I have to say this though I've been trying not to for weeks now...

I thought we had a lot of crybaby Pens fans, but I never would have expected the number of Flyers fans that cry and moan about stupid little stuff. I mean, when I'm at a Pens game and hear some of the people crying about calls for this or that, or missed calls, it's frustrating. I mean REALLY frustrating. It gets to where I stick up for the refs sometimes saying "No that was the right call" or "No way you call that petty stuff in this game". But these forums have opened my eyes that maybe we don't have it as bad as some other teams do. There are a lot of people here who KNOW hockey... who LOVE hockey... and who are able to watch a play without the bias that tends to create some of the whining and crying. But there are a lot of people who are just looking to be able to say their team is a victim somehow... that somehow it's the world against them.

I suppose it's heartening to know that it's not just our ignorant fans that make such a ruckus over the routine inconsistencies of the league or the discipline process. But at the same time, it's discouraging to know this could be a league wide issue... There are entire topic threads here to point out the inconsistencies we all know are there as if they're the only team ever slighted. But honestly... if you go through a year's worth of video or whatever, who can't find such things?? In ANY uniform.

OKay... I've said my piece. I'm sure some are going to come read this and get offended or whatever, but I can't be the only one from ANY fan base that gets tired of whining and the "oh woe is me" BS. Do I feel my team gets the shaft sometimes? Sure.. but I also understand it happens to us all.

• Like 1

I have to admit as a Flyer fan I am biased but I try not to bitch about honest calls. I do take pleasure in tweaking you occasionally(you are a pens fan) but to what do we owe this thread to? 95% of the bitching that has been going on here has been about horrible mistakes and injuries for the Flyers. I mean there has not even been much Pens bashing going on....

I have to admit as a Flyer fan I am biased but I try not to bitch about honest calls. I do take pleasure in tweaking you occasionally(you are a pens fan) but to what do we owe this thread to? 95% of the bitching that has been going on here has been about horrible mistakes and injuries for the Flyers. I mean there has not even been much Pens bashing going on....

The posts about injuries and mistakes, plays and who's who in the game are all great reading.. I love the content and the debates that start from them. I don't mind the tweaking because it's the healthy competition of it. It's the bitching about the officials being against just the Flyers that makes me laugh. It's homerism at it's best. EVERYONE in the league has reason to complain about the officiating this season. Not an argument about that at all. But the posts that honestly complain like every team is favored but the Flyers are ridiculous.

I get disgusted by Pens fans who do the same thing at our own games and often speak up against them hoping that hearing a differing opinion will make them think about the game not just the home team. I suppose it's the bane of every team in every sport, but with the inconsistencies in hockey... it's just sickening to read so much crap about how the Flyers are somehow slighted. To take the time to hunt down video clips showing how one guy got away with something and another guy didn't... or one guy got a suspension and another just a fine... then try to say it's because of the jersey he's wearing?

I suppose I just find it to be the lowest form of excuse making. When my team sucks I'm the first person to say they suck. When the officials are weak I'll say they were weak. But I will NEVER sit and preach some crap about "Oh they wouldn't have called that against the Flyers" or "They only let that go because it's the Devils" or whatever. We all know star players get away with more. But again, it's not the entire team... I sincerely don't believe the officials are calling a game thinking "Man I hate the Flyers so screw em!". I DO believe they say "That's Giroux and he's a money maker for the league so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt". Big difference there...

What's with all the whining? Seriously? I'll answer that with four digits: 1 9 7 5

Seriously, though, good post. I really don't mind the "that was a really bad call" stuff. It's part of the bitching and moaning when your team loses. It's "the league is out to get us" crap that drives me nuts. But it's really not just Pens and Flyers fans, sadly. It IS league-wide (well, the fans of a decent sampling of teams I've interacted with, anyway). There's a sub-group of every fan base that is "woe is me" and "they're out to get us!" I think these are the people that were shoved into lockers and made to eat paste in junior high. It's tough to stomach grown adults with such paranoid delusions. I'd keep going, but I heard something in the other room. I think they're coming to get me. I betterrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

• Like 1

What's with all the whining? Seriously? I'll answer that with four digits: 1 9 7 5

Seriously, though, good post. I really don't mind the "that was a really bad call" stuff. It's part of the bitching and moaning when your team loses. It's "the league is out to get us" crap that drives me nuts. But it's really not just Pens and Flyers fans, sadly. It IS league-wide (well, the fans of a decent sampling of teams I've interacted with, anyway). There's a sub-group of every fan base that is "woe is me" and "they're out to get us!" I think these are the people that were shoved into lockers and made to eat paste in junior high. It's tough to stomach grown adults with such paranoid delusions. I'd keep going, but I heard something in the other room. I think they're coming to get me. I betterrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

Well put. It probably wasn't them in the other room though. They are after me now. ;)

@Polaris922

I think it's because we don't expect to suck. We always expect to compete.

To put it in terms that you, as a Pens fan, might understand, we don't have your vast experience of suckage. Your teams sucked so much for so long that they got some nice first overall picks that eventually turned the franchise around. We don't have that experience, so we're not used to it. It's all very easily understandable. :D

@Polaris922

I think it's because we don't expect to suck. We always expect to compete.

To put it in terms that you, as a Pens fan, might understand, we don't have your vast experience of suckage. Your teams sucked so much for so long that they got some nice first overall picks that eventually turned the franchise around. We don't have that experience, so we're not used to it. It's all very easily understandable. :D

Maybe it's your turn ;) lol

I think these are the people that were shoved into lockers and made to eat paste in junior high.

Not everyone has faced the hardships you have gone through growing up......... :o

I just haven't figured out if you were the guy in the locker or the guy doing the shoving....... :lol:

• Like 1

I certainly hope so! Seth Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin or Lindholm or Barkov would all look good in Orange and Black.

Which means you'll end up with the 6th overall pick if history is any indication. ;)

• Like 1