Double Pump face off -no drop- leads to double misconducts

Guest hf101

Has this ever happened before? The ref doesn't drop the puck after the non - called elbow on Simmonds as Rinaldo and Hendricks are ready to drop the gloves.

Thus the fight occurs before the puck is dropped because the ref deliberately holds onto it.

And they can easily call the game misconducts.

Add that to the bogus boarding call when Rinaldo clearly missed his check.......

Have these refs been paid off?

• Like 1

Has this ever happened before? The ref doesn't drop the puck after the non - called elbow on Simmonds as Rinaldo and Hendricks are ready to drop the gloves.

Thus the fight occurs before the puck is dropped because the ref deliberately holds onto it.

And they can easily call the game misconducts.

Add that to the bogus boarding call when Rinaldo clearly missed his check.......

Have these refs been paid off?

but according to Polaris we are all just a bunch of whiners! I am severily disappointed in the way officials have been handling these games....and it is just not with the Flyers...but across the league in whole the officiating has been very sub-par

• Like 1

It endemic. The officiating in the NHL is the worst of any professional sport. And not just officiating against the Flyers - horrible calls are being made League-wide as Pilldoc said. Though I do think the Flyers still have a special target on their backs that the refs aim for more regularly than they do other teams.

@OH1FlyersFan You should see the 5 minute major Backes just got for "illegal hit to the head".....I swear, worst call of all time...ALL shoulder that hit, not anywhere near his head....Hitch is gonn lose it! Of course, the Wings go ahead 4-3 on the 5 minute major...UNREAL!! Hope somebody has some video of that...just wrong. Even Mickey Redmond was agreeing the ref blew it, Mr.Homer himself!!

• Like 2

but according to Polaris we are all just a bunch of whiners! I am severily disappointed in the way officials have been handling these games....and it is just not with the Flyers...but across the league in whole the officiating has been very sub-par

Once again I am forced to clarify what I said for you. What is this, the third time? Fourth? What I said was the officials don't favor teams, they favor star players. That is league wide. There have been horrible calls in most of the games this year, Flyers games included. It's a league wide cancer.

Once again I am forced to clarify what I said for you. What is this, the third time? Fourth? What I said was the officials don't favor teams, they favor star players.

OK, I am saying right now that Rinaldo has a reputation and is UNFAIRLY targeted by the refs. I can sight you 10 ridiculous calls against him for his reputation alone. Take the call he got the other night against the rags for "hitting Boyle". When you have Ranger announcers talking about the height of ridiculousness for a call that is for their team, i am going to question the refs. When you have a player like Erskine, who takes a blatant elbow to the head shot at Simmonds and receives no call, i am going to scream about POOR OFFICIATING!! If Zac Rinaldo does that same play, it is a 10 game suspension and you know it. Brayden Schenn gets suspended for a hit where you have to literally go frame by frame in super slow motion to see him leave his feet as he is making contact on a play where the ref watching the play(less than 3 feet away) does not even call a penalty, yes , I am going to call bias. Whether you admit it or not, there are different standards for different teams. The Flyers have a reputation for being Bullies, most of it earned but I have to say it is annoying when I see other teams get away with identical plays just because they have a clean rep......

• Like 1

OK, I am saying right now that Rinaldo has a reputation and is UNFAIRLY targeted by the refs. I can sight you 10 ridiculous calls against him for his reputation alone. Take the call he got the other night against the rags for "hitting Boyle". When you have Ranger announcers talking about the height of ridiculousness for a call that is for their team, i am going to question the refs. When you have a player like Erskine, who takes a blatant elbow to the head shot at Simmonds and receives no call, i am going to scream about POOR OFFICIATING!! If Zac Rinaldo does that same play, it is a 10 game suspension and you know it. Brayden Schenn gets suspended for a hit where you have to literally go frame by frame in super slow motion to see him leave his feet as he is making contact on a play where the ref watching the play(less than 3 feet away) does not even call a penalty, yes , I am going to call bias. Whether you admit it or not, there are different standards for different teams. The Flyers have a reputation for being Bullies, most of it earned but I have to say it is annoying when I see other teams get away with identical plays just because they have a clean rep......

I still don't think it's the team. Rinaldo is a known doychebag so yes he'll get hammered. Schenn only got hit a game because the Devils threw video to Shanahan and there was an unpunished violation going after the head. I thought that was pretty fair, maybe even a touch lenient because Schenn isn't known for it. If that same hit is Rinaldo the douchebag effect kicks in and it's 4 or 5 games.

Again I agree there is bias, but it's for the name on the back not the name on the front.

I still don't think it's the team.

Again I agree there is bias, but it's for the name on the back not the name on the front.

You have made your point to me several times. I get your point of view. We are just going to agree to disagree. I apologize if I have unfairly singled you out, however you are a major poster here with the view of the bias being the name on the back and rather than the logo on the front. It is easy to use you as an example since you are a regular poster here on a daily basis with this point of view and for that I apologize.

As Flyerrod pointed out, the Flyers have earned much their reputation from theire storied past, however, they should not be punished today for what Flyer teams have done in the past. That would be like still punishing the southern states today for the actions of many of their ancestors back in the 1840-1865 time period which led to the creation of the Confederacy and the War Between the States.

For whatever reason, there is inconsistency in both the officiating of the games and the handing out of punishments when a need arises. For that I blame Campbell / Shanahan/ and Bettman.

Once again please accept my apology for unfairly singlingly you out. ~Pilldoc

Edited by pilldoc

You have made your point to me several times. I get your point of view. We are just going to agree to disagree. I apologize if I have unfairly singled you out, however you are a major poster here with the view of the bias being the name on the back and rather than the logo on the front. It is easy to use you as an example since you are a regular poster here on a daily basis with this point of view and for that I apologize.

As Flyerrod pointed out, the Flyers have earned much their reputation from theire storied past, however, they should not be punished today for what Flyer teams have done in the past. That would be like still punishing the southern states today for the actions of many of their ancestors back in the 1840-1865 time period which led to the creation of the Confederacy and the War Between the States.

For whatever reason, there is inconsistency in both the officiating of the games and the handing out of punishments when a need arises. For that I blame Campbell / Shanahan/ and Bettman.

Once again please accept my apology for unfairly singlingly you out. ~Pilldoc

I don't mind being singled out as long as its for what I've said. To present it as "Polaris says there's no bias" is inaccurate. And I respect that you disagree, just want to be quoted correctly if I'm going to be quoted, ya know? No apology necessary bud but thanks!

Do you honestly think a Penguins fan is going to recognize the poor officiating league wide? That team is protected.

Its very hard to even watch the NHL. I haven't watched a full game this season. Damn these guys for stealing my passion for the sport.

Please.

You wait until the puck is dropped. This is something you learn in mites.

It was a stupid time to get into a fight. It was stupid to have two guys who had Nothing To Do with the elbow play decide to drop the gloves before the next faceoff.

The refs haven't been paid off. Rinaldo was stupid and allowed himself, as a semi-effective player, to essentially be taken out of the game by a goon.

Lack of discipline. Lack of focus.

Dumb plays.

Flyer hockey so far in 2013.

• Like 4

Do you honestly think a Penguins fan is going to recognize the poor officiating league wide? That team is protected.

Its very hard to even watch the NHL. I haven't watched a full game this season. Damn these guys for stealing my passion for the sport.

Apparently you don't read what I post... ;) lol

Agreed radoran, though I see the point in the pump fake puck. Rinaldo has a blatant unfair target on his back because he's a Flyer, unlike Cooke in Pit. His calls are not deserving in many cases this young season, and it's frustrating. He can energize the team, but only if he's on the ice and allowed to play by the same penalty threshold.

Gotta love Erskine's intentional attempt to injure elbow to the head with blood getting zero while Rinaldo rots again for a missed hit. Seems fair.

@Phillygrump I actually can't decide between the NHL and NFL. It's a dead even heat....but I give a 51/49 split to the NFL, for the single reason, each NFL game is monumental, it's an entity upon itself...not like hockey where you get nothing games that you are bored of, the long 82 game money grabbing season. If anybody tells you they love all 82 games, never get bored....they are lying. Even during an NFL blow out, you see rare glimpses of roster players you have never seen or have not seen much. The one and done sudden elimination of NFL playoff games are wicked good. Hockey should not obviously set up like that, but the finality of one game and out is awesome. It means guys like Joe Montana almost ALWAYS showed up when they needed to, with dire consequences if they did not. It gives me LOADS of respect for Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana etc...they won consistantly during the super duper pressure of one and out.

@jammer2

Thats a great point and football is the epitome of a team game. Teams are a machine with many working parts and if one part fails they can blow it. They all have to be functioning together.

For me, hockey is more of the ultimate team game. Generally speaking, in my opinion, a lesser talented club playing as a team can beat a more talented group playing as individuals more often in hockey.

There is "any given Sunday" in the NFL but the nature of the sport lends itself to "upsets" in the regular season.

This isn't a hard and fast rule, it's just my general feeling about it.

For me, hockey is more of the ultimate team game. Generally speaking, in my opinion, a lesser talented club playing as a team can beat a more talented group playing as individuals more often in hockey.

I disagree with this. It is much more likely to happen in football due to the team.

I disagree with this. It is much more likely to happen in football due to the team.

We can certainly go back and forth on it.

I will say I don't see a situation in football where a bunch of college kids could go out and beat the reigning World Champions.

I'll wager even the BCS Champ would have trouble with the vast majority of NFL clubs. Even da Iggles.