Simmonds Out Indefinitly with Concussion

Guest hf101

I just wish he'd use that position more, or better, to rail against or do something about the "inconsistencies". He should be demanding a better product when it comes to NHL officiating, including but not limited to, terminating any official that demonstrates such sheer incompetency. The problem is, aren't the officials unionized? Their gd collective bargaining agreement probably protects them - that's why the can "consistently" get away with behavior that would result in any one else in any other occupation being tossed out on their butt and right into the bread line.

Remember when Lemieux tried to force a change in officiating (as an owner) ? That wasn't received so well at first. Maybe that's what keeps Snider holding his mouth a little? The officials seemed to tilt against the Pens for a while after Mario spoke out. Maybe Snider is worried it'll get worse for you guys instead of better?

This is from Puck Daddy:

• Supplementary discipline that results in fines can go up to $10,000 for the first offense and up to $15,000 for each and every one after that. Still not even a slap on the wrist for offenses that don't warrant suspension. There will also be a neutral third party if a player chooses to appeal a suspension of 6 games or more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I thought there was something else with a neutral party and also a player rep (ie. a governing board made up of NHL, neutal and NHLPA, but I could not find on a cursory look-see.

There should also be a way for a team to appeal a non-ruling, i.e. if Erskine gets nothing or a slap on the wrist suspension, the Flyers should be able to appeal to a neutral third party.

• Like 3

Remember when Lemieux tried to force a change in officiating (as an owner) ? That wasn't received so well at first. Maybe that's what keeps Snider holding his mouth a little? The officials seemed to tilt against the Pens for a while after Mario spoke out. Maybe Snider is worried it'll get worse for you guys instead of better?

I don't remember Lemieux's try to force a change - but I'm glad someone tried. If he wasn't successful, then who can be! You make an interesting point. Hadn't considered that. But I just don't see how it could get any worse at this point. So, if I'm Snider, I go ahead and do it anyway.

I don't remember Lemieux's try to force a change - but I'm glad someone tried. If he wasn't successful, then who can be! You make an interesting point. Hadn't considered that. But I just don't see how it could get any worse at this point. So, if I'm Snider, I go ahead and do it anyway.

It gets a lot worse. I know a lot of you guys think its already tilted against you but from the outside looking in its very normal inconsistencies I've been seeing in your games. When they turn on you for statements or whatever you'll see it ten times worse and in your face on the ice.

I prefer that an owner (particularly one with a long tenure and sits on the board of governors) handles this stuff appropriately. By that, I don't mean lashing out to the media- but doing so in the proper channels that are set up by the board. If such a thing can not be handled in that manner, particularly like a guy like snider who has not just a vested interest in his team making money, or a bias one way or another- but a simple sheer love for the sport, then surely all is lost on an rationale of keeping / making the league legit.

I prefer that an owner (particularly one with a long tenure and sits on the board of governors) handles this stuff appropriately. By that, I don't mean lashing out to the media- but doing so in the proper channels that are set up by the board. If such a thing can not be handled in that manner, particularly like a guy like snider who has not just a vested interest in his team making money, or a bias one way or another- but a simple sheer love for the sport, then surely all is lost on an rationale of keeping / making the league legit.

I think Lemieux saying it was very good for the sport, as it was from a hall of game player AND owner. Someone who's been there will always have better credentials to speak on the subject. It did help bring obstruction calls up for awhile if nothing else...

OH1FlyersFan:

Do you remember that game in Ottawa, I think it was, a few years ago? Over 100 minutes in penalties. Yes, that was pre-Crosby when the league still had a set. Maybe what this team needs is an all out Donnybrook to get this evil and bile "can't-play-hockey" virus out of their collective systems.

Don't worry, Ed has the money for this kind of thing.

Flyer's Hockey boys.

BOI.

That was an awesome game, Bear! I remember it well and that's they type of thing I was thinking about. I agree - that might very well be the best way to exrocise this particular evil. That said, they're looking pretty good tonight against Carolina so far. Bryz particularly. Nice to see a little scoring too.

That was an awesome game, Bear! I remember it well and that's they type of thing I was thinking about. I agree - that might very well be the best way to exrocise this particular evil. That said, they're looking pretty good tonight against Carolina so far. Bryz particularly. Nice to see a little scoring too.

Better. 3rd left much to be desired. At least 5 different people hit the back of the net.

right on, BOI.

MK:

Are you Joe Cocker? ;) He was great at Woodstock. Man, all I remember is the acid and all the rain and mud. From your picture you look like ya got some cockney in ya. All good. At the very least you were a defensive noseguard.

Good to see the boys put a couple on the board last night. :PHI:

Tampa Bay? Well let's see if we return to our collective mirk, mire, and dire..

Right on MKS.

Go Flyers!

BOI

Is still have to marvel at how a player can take the liberties they want in a game and professional paid referees, the best in the game <cough>, miss the call. The puck was in proximity to the play so its not like this happened when their back was turned. Someone should have been watching, and since it was obvious, a call of some sort should have been made. And if you take a step back and think, considering the league suspended Erskine, that is DeFacto proof that not only a penalty occurred, but one of major status.

If I'm Laviolette, and I have a guy like Shelley on my team, maybe I tiell him, "Look, I know you are going to get a suspension, but if you take out a significant player on the other team, it will be worth it for us in the long run. After all, Crosby might be out the rest of the season, but you will only get ten games. What a bargain." On a grander scale, its comparabel to whne the team goon goads a major player into a fight, taking him off the ice for five.

The result of this play is a travesty to me. The Flyers lose a key player in a shortened season. They dont receive a powwer play. The lose a game that could have changed on that power play. Simmonds is out for a prolonged period in a shortened season, and Erskine only gets three games. Games he will probably appeal and get reduced. And as stated on here by many, all this occurred in a league self proclaiming they want to make the game safer.

WHAT A FREAKIN JOKE!

The last thing I want to commnet on is those two assbags in the booth for Washington. For them to sit there on air and try to suggest that this was anything other then Erskine elbowing a player in heinous fashoin is reprehensible. They said Erskine "flinched" at the oncoming Simmonds for Pete's sake. What message are you sending to youth players who are watching the game and hearing you explain it away like it was nothing. Good job douche!

• Like 3

Is still have to marvel at how a player can take the liberties they want in a game and professional paid referees, the best in the game <cough>, miss the call. The puck was in proximity to the play so its not like this happened when their back was turned. Someone should have been watching, and since it was obvious, a call of some sort should have been made. And if you take a step back and think, considering the league suspended Erskine, that is DeFacto proof that not only a penalty occurred, but one of major status.

If I'm Laviolette, and I have a guy like Shelley on my team, maybe I tiell him, "Look, I know you are going to get a suspension, but if you take out a significant player on the other team, it will be worth it for us in the long run. After all, Crosby might be out the rest of the season, but you will only get ten games. What a bargain." On a grander scale, its comparabel to whne the team goon goads a major player into a fight, taking him off the ice for five.

The result of this play is a travesty to me. The Flyers lose a key player in a shortened season. They dont receive a powwer play. The lose a game that could have changed on that power play. Simmonds is out for a prolonged period in a shortened season, and Erskine only gets three games. Games he will probably appeal and get reduced. And as stated on here by many, all this occurred in a league self proclaiming they want to make the game safer.

WHAT A FREAKIN JOKE!

The last thing I want to commnet on is those two assbags in the booth for Washington. For them to sit there on air and try to suggest that this was anything other then Erskine elbowing a player in heinous fashoin is reprehensible. They said Erskine "flinched" at the oncoming Simmonds for Pete's sake. What message are you sending to youth players who are watching the game and hearing you explain it away like it was nothing. Good job douche!

Re Laughlin, Caps color guy, I love how he cries murder on Rinaldo's missed hit, then bemoans the next Caps penalty wishing the refs would let them play. Then the Erskine stuff, wow. Jack Edwards minus the maniacal laugh.

To me, jack Edwards is the biggest a-hole involved with hockey. Just listen to his call when Thorton gets tuned up by the beast, John Scott. Thorton willingly drops the gloves and then promptly gets his ass whipped. Edwards then goes on to insult and demean Scott for it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of being insulted by sports leagues. First the NFL trying to convince anyone that Seattle won that game againt Green Bay and then this. It obvious Erskine intended to do damage. He did the crime, let him receive the time. Send a message otehr than trying to convince your fans they didn't see what the know they saw

To me, jack Edwards is the biggest a-hole involved with hockey. Just listen to his call when Thorton gets tuned up by the beast, John Scott. Thorton willingly drops the gloves and then promptly gets his ass whipped. Edwards then goes on to insult and demean Scott for it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of being insulted by sports leagues. First the NFL trying to convince anyone that Seattle won that game againt Green Bay and then this. It obvious Erskine intended to do damage. He did the crime, let him receive the time. Send a message otehr than trying to convince your fans they didn't see what the know they saw

Worst tier: Edwards, Steigerwald, McGuire, and Emerick.

Runners up: voice cracking Buffalo guy, Laughlin, Olczyk

One of these days, we should probably make an actual ordered list...

Worst tier: Edwards, Steigerwald, McGuire, and Emerick.

Runners up: voice cracking Buffalo guy, Laughlin, Olczyk

One of these days, we should probably make an actual ordered list...

Please trade for Steigerwald! I'll take two hot dogs and a pop for him!

My apologies, I haven't had a drink yet. I guess my defensiveness about the whole Bullies thing is illustrative. A lot of people, even knowledgeable hockey people (like Ken Dryden, to name but one) talk about those teams as if they had zero skill. Even Clarke is remembered by many Canadians mainly as a dirty player; they'd be shocked to learn that the WHL trophy for highest scorer is named after him.

Anyway, back to the thread. Simmonds' nose sure was a mess when Erskine elbowed him. I can only imagine how the rest of his head felt.

It's all good. But yeah - that one had to hurt. Not sure what was worse...Simmond's nose after that or Engelland's shiner after the bout with Orr. That one is still noticeable.

Anyway, back to the thread. Simmonds' nose sure was a mess when Erskine elbowed him. I can only imagine how the rest of his head felt.

Thanks I got confused there... I thought this was a thread about the Simmonds hit

Oh - and a referee does not "investigate" reputations. They know as well as the players and fans what players are known for. Guy's reputations are pretty much out there. Don't make it seem like these guys meet before the games an talk about who they are going to screw over.

They don't talk about who they are going to screw over. They do, however, have pre-game meetings and I'm sure certain "characters" names come up. Like, "Watch that Downie guy. He can pull out an AK-47 at any moment." I completely agree with you on this thread. It's not a matter of deliberately screwing someone, but they are fully aware of who's out there.

They don't talk about who they are going to screw over. They do, however, have pre-game meetings and I'm sure certain "characters" names come up. Like, "Watch that Downie guy. He can pull out an AK-47 at any moment." I completely agree with you on this thread. It's not a matter of deliberately screwing someone, but they are fully aware of who's out there.

Thanks, Rux. That about sums up the point I was trying to make.