Keep Lavy, get new assistant coaches?

Philly29

Am I the only one that thinks we need new assistant coaches badly. I would love to see Lavs stay and turn it around but that wont happen till we get some good x's and o's type assistant coaches I think....How about making Murray an assistant, hes a good tactician. I know he is with the Phantoms and probably be better suited developing the young talent(none there yet) but this team is just not putting it together...they look very lost. Poor passing, stupid line changing penalties, and did I mention the pp and pk suck ass. What are your thoughts fellas?

• Like 3

Am I the only one that thinks we need new assistant coaches badly. I would love to see Lavs stay and turn it around but that wont happen till we get some good x's and o's type assistant coaches I think....How about making Murray an assistant, hes a good tactician. I know he is with the Phantoms and probably be better suited developing the young talent(none there yet) but this team is just not putting it together...they look very lost. Poor passing, stupid line changing penalties, and did I mention the pp and pk suck ass. What are your thoughts fellas?

What is Berube's job?

berube does the PK.

at least that's what i'm told.

the team needs some remedial coaching like, passing drills and cross over skating drills, and luke schenn needs to use backhand only for about 3 weeks of practice.

they're all playing so tentatively it's hard to watch.

really where do you start, the lines will be different , again due to injury, we have 2 d men that can make an outlet pass. sheesh.

I dont think a new coach will help much, but if the team continues to falter ,the coach is always the one to take the fall. Our PP sucks for the following reasons that I can see...

1 we miss Jagrs board work and puck posession skills

2 we miss Carles puck rushing and passing, OK he couldnt shoot, but neither can any of our dmen

3 we miss Hartnell in front

4 we have no one on defense with quality puck rushing skills, no defenseman with superior playmaking skills for QB the PP and our defenseman have weak or innacurate point shots. Timmo is about the only guy you can call an offensive defenseman, and he scored abot 5 or 6 goals last year, so that tells you something.

If anyone watched Gervais jump into the play and score the other night, thats exactly what is missing, a guy who has some offensive instinct and knows when to gamble, Gervais is no superstar, so I dont expect much from him on a consistant basis. We need someone to do that frequnetly.

Our defense is not doing too bad defensively and in physical play, but we are lack offensive skill and finesse back there. Maybe when Gusstafsson comes back , he can help a bit on the PP, but you cant expect a rookie to do too much.

Without a good PP I dont see us winning much///

PK, I think it will improve, as the season goes on, but we do need to limit our penalties, and we do have young guys so it may take lots of time and lots of goals given up before they get it down.

Bryz is actually looking like a different goalie this year,so he cant be blamed. ,

• Like 2

Gervais jump into the play and score the other night, thats exactly what is missing, a guy who has some offensive instinct and knows when to gamble,

That was not a gamble, just an easy hockey play. The winger was going up the boards to the point and Gervais had enough sense to see the open spot and slide down. To that extent and not to poo poo your overall comment (most of which I agree with), I would like to see more of that kind of rotation. The only problem is that you have to trust that your winger is going to be able to handle your d-responsibilities should things go awry.

I'm starting to think we just need better players. Watching Carolina and the desire to have the puck, and control it, I simply dont see it here

His name is Chris Pronger 12. He is up in the box with Holmgren for a reason. If anybody knows how to make a defence work and run a PP it's Chris. Stay tuned boys.

I dont think a new coach will help much, but if the team continues to falter ,the coach is always the one to take the fall. Our PP sucks for the following reasons that I can see...

1 we miss Jagrs board work and puck posession skills

2 we miss Carles puck rushing and passing, OK he couldnt shoot, but neither can any of our dmen

3 we miss Hartnell in front

4 we have no one on defense with quality puck rushing skills, no defenseman with superior playmaking skills for QB the PP and our defenseman have weak or innacurate point shots. Timmo is about the only guy you can call an offensive defenseman, and he scored abot 5 or 6 goals last year, so that tells you something.

If anyone watched Gervais jump into the play and score the other night, thats exactly what is missing, a guy who has some offensive instinct and knows when to gamble, Gervais is no superstar, so I dont expect much from him on a consistant basis. We need someone to do that frequnetly.

Our defense is not doing too bad defensively and in physical play, but we are lack offensive skill and finesse back there. Maybe when Gusstafsson comes back , he can help a bit on the PP, but you cant expect a rookie to do too much.

Without a good PP I dont see us winning much///

PK, I think it will improve, as the season goes on, but we do need to limit our penalties, and we do have young guys so it may take lots of time and lots of goals given up before they get it down.

Bryz is actually looking like a different goalie this year,so he cant be blamed. ,

RJ:

1-4. Right on. Like all your stuff..

Ok, defensively defensive sort of ok. Defensively offensive not so good. Gervais has flashes. Shenn needs remedial stick handling 101. Nobody else can skate the puck up and back off the attacking forwards.

Big Hall of Famer Chris Pronger 12 coaching the defence & PP. Now were talking.

Break out The Pronger Koolaid boys..

BOI

Flyers haven't kept a coach for more than four seasons since Fred Shero.

I don't get the importance of "keeping Lavy" so he can turn it around. He's the one driving it, apparently, in the wrong direction.

In the last 20 years there have been six goalies to win the Conn Smythe. Half of them have come since the last lockout. In addition, half of the past 10 Conn Smythe winners are either goalies or defensemen.

Playing great defense and riding a hot goalie (Ward was 14-8, 3.68 in the regular season the year he won the MVP) is more than ever the crucial element of a successful Cup run.

Jam, jelly or marmalade notwithstanding.

Assistant coaches primarily just execute the head coaches philosophies. Firing them just means more of the same from different men. If you truly think coaching is the issue, it's Laviolette you should be looking at.

Mostly agreed, but if it is a concern that they cannot teach techniques, can them. For example, receiving a pass on crappy ice, or taking a hit.

Mostly agreed, but if it is a concern that they cannot teach techniques, can them. For example, receiving a pass on crappy ice, or taking a hit.

I'd like to think Laviolette knows if his coaches can't teach the basics. It all falls on him and the players' willingness/ability to perform.