I thought Bobo deserved 2nd or 3rd Star vs. Stars

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

I thought Bobo played a pretty solid game last night. Yes, he may have over-committed and didn't look very graceful but he came up with some timely saves and covered some serious defensive lapses. Bachmann kept the Stars respectably in the game...his 4 goals masked a terrific performance. Dallas may have a more cost-effective duo between the pipes than us.

Best,

Howie

@Howie58 - agreed. Howe's Howie doing? South Florida and the Merlots being kind to you?

Podein: Good to hear from you. Hope the holiday madness is damping down so that you can actually enjoy them.

I do my red stuff. I was up in Vineland, NJ over Thanksgiving. It depressed me to come back to South Florida...my relatives are all there and Philly is a lot more interesting than Miami. But such is life and there are good people everywhere.

The Flyers are an interesting bunch to watch and they seem to enjoy playing with each other. That said I still worry about our D and goaltending, the exact opposite of what we expected going into the season. As for the Panthers..well, we will see if the castoffs are for real.

Peace,

Howie

Good to hear from you too @Howie58.

Vineland, NJ eh? I wonder if the Thomas Pynchon novel by the same name has anything to do with that? He was from the area I think (Long Island actually, so never mind).

Yeah, the Panthers are interesting story. An entire team of overpaid) castoffs and a former Vezina/Hart winner in goal. I heard the rats were back. Is that true?

@Howie58

Hope you're enjoying the Holiday Season.

I liked the way Bob played last night even though he seemed a bit rusty. His puck handling was poor and he tended to shrink down before the shots. He got more comfortable as the game went on though and came up with a couple of big saves, especially on the Dvorak breakaway. Bill Meltzer, who has a big thing for "momentum" saves, gave him props this morning and it was deserved.

I think the lesson learned here for Lavy is that the kid needs a bit more work to stay sharp. I say give it to him and don't worry about what that does to Bryzgalov's feeble mind. Bob is the better goaltender right now, even after a long layoff.

@Howie58

Hope you're enjoying the Holiday Season.

I liked the way Bob played last night even though he seemed a bit rusty. His puck handling was poor and he tended to shrink down before the shots. He got more comfortable as the game went on though and came up with a couple of big saves, especially on the Dvorak breakaway. Bill Meltzer, who has a big thing for "momentum" saves, gave him props this morning and it was deserved.

I think the lesson learned here for Lavy is that the kid needs a bit more work to stay sharp. I say give it to him and don't worry about what that does to Bryzgalov's feeble mind. Bob is the better goaltender right now, even after a long layoff.

Terp: Good to hear from you and hope you are getting into the holiday spirit...or whatever. Well, Bob's numbers are better. But I suspect we are going to see Bryz. It's the dollars, right? I suspect Bryz is in tomorrow night.

Best,

Howie

Vineland, NJ eh? I wonder if the Thomas Pynchon novel by the same name has anything to do with that?

Nope, it was set in California- not a real place.

Edit: Don't mean to suggest that California isn't a real place (though some might say so) just that Vineland, CA is not a real place.

Edited by JackStraw

I thought Bobo played a pretty solid game last night. Yes, he may have over-committed and didn't look very graceful but he came up with some timely saves and covered some serious defensive lapses.

I agree- particularly in the second period. He made two game saving / changing saves. As others have stated, hope Bryz was taking notes.

What's sad about this goaltending mess is that Bobo may be traded out of need to relieve cap space. Bryz needs to show some consistency.

Hi Howie-

I hope the Florida sun is treating you well. Hind sight being 20 / 20 and all that, I have been in the camp all along that I would have preferred a veteran guy on a short contract and on the relative cheap to platoon with Bobs. The money and length are too much and basically put Bobs in the back seat as a Flyers. Its the same situation in Vancouver- though reverse because Van already had Luongo before drafting Schneider. Most would agree that Schneider should be a NHL #1 right now. He will be 26 by the end of this year.

I would hate to see Bob get trapped in the same situation. The only thing I can hope for is that Bobs gets around 20-25 games a year and that when the Flyers brass see that bob is equal to or greater than Bryz, they can convince Bryz to waive his NMC or get him to retire to go play in the KHL. The thing is that nearly 1/2 of Bryz money comes in the first three seasons. So, I don't think he is going anywhere for at least three years.

Van:

Work is fairly stressed but I am OK. This time of the year leaves me stretched but such is life.

The Bryz signing seemed bizarre. Chicago signed Khabibulan (sp.) after the Cup in Tampa and they got burned. He is better as a 39 year old in Edmonton. Who am I to say what's right? We will leave that to Pinaccio.

Peace and have a great holiday season,

Howie

@Howie58 Hope you are well and finding a few good cheap Aussie Reds.

What is the history with the rats? I could just Google it but would rather hear it from you if you know the rats background.

Oz:

Greetings and best wishes; I love the Shiraz and others. I generally keep them on my rack...very "cost-effective." Along with keeping your AAA rating, you folks make some damn good wine.

OK, the rat thing started during the Panthers' improbable 1996 playoff run in their old venue, the Miami Arena, now demolished. I believe one of the players literally killed a rat in the locker room using a hockey stick. That started the rubber rat throwing gig. The league cracked down on it so now it is done only occasionally...not just for hat tricks but big wins, etc.

Best for the holidays!

Howie