Bryz ...still crazy.

Guest SoCalFlyfan

just wanted to update those who may be concerned, but yes, bryzgalov is still completely nuts. does anyone know what he's talking about half the time ?

can we LTIR him based on a diagnosis from a psychiatrist watching 24/7 or something ? -i just cannot believe this is the guy for the next 20 years in net.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His comment about his white dog with blue eyes being like a hot chick is nothing short of disturbing. I'm not sure if he's trying to be bizarre or if he's just an eccentric goalie, but he is a lot better at being strange than he is at stopping pucks.

what concerns me (aside from him not stopping pucks) is how his fragile state of mind affects the team when he's in net. you could tell that they all think he's nuts too and that can't be comforting to them knowing that he's in net back there. we're all little crazy from time to time but to me a goalie should be a rock that everyone can look at and get confidence from, not look at with a puzzled look most of the time.

His comment about his white dog with blue eyes being like a hot chick is nothing short of disturbing.

Speaking as the owner of an all white Husky (albeit a male with brown eyes) I found his comment completely understandable, and in fact, evidence of a well adjusted human being with exceptionally good taste in dogs.

It's ok for goalies to be crazy unless they are on the flyers. Then they must be stoic and nuanced, calm and emotionless without being alienating and must stop every puck or he's complete garbage.

I don't care if the goalie is crazy or sane. I just want him to stop the puck. Bryzgalov just isn't doing that enough. I really don't care who's a great interview with the media or who tells them to GFY. If they play as well as they can, that's all I want. I haven't read any great quotes from Simmonds, but he's been throwing so e good checks and scoring goals, so I like him. Bryzgalov seems more concerned with being a media darling than doing his job.

It's ok for goalies to be crazy unless they are on the flyers. Then they must be stoic and nuanced, calm and emotionless without being alienating and must stop every puck or he's complete garbage.

John Vanbiesbrouk says hello........but he had the softie problem too........

he is a lot better at being strange than he is at stopping pucks.

Yup. Every single goalie I played with was strange, but they were strange because they spent so much time obsessing about stopping pucks and all the rituals and stuff that go with that. They were focused and intense individuals. Bryz is just a flake as far as I can tell.

For some reason I do care. Until he gets his game in shape I want him to just shut up

Yeah, I guess you're right. One needs to back up his yapping with his play. Somehow, though, I rarely pay attention to what players have to say. I didn't care much for what Richards said to the reporters while a big deal was made of it. After all, action speaks louder than words. ;)

Edited by Mad Dog

Have you played much hockey? All goalies are nuts. Except Lundqvist of course, he's apparently far too cool to be crazy.

maybe in beer league where everyone sucks enough to not play hockey for a living.

hextall was only nuts on the ice, roy was a little nuts but he might be the rare exception, but out of the current crop of elite goaltenders i can't think of any who would be classified as 'nutcases'.

miller,lundkvist,thomas,fleury,brodeur, price all seem pretty down to earth to me.

His bizarre humor is tedious when combined with a sub .900 save percentage.

He gets that save % in the .915 + range and his act will be easier to take, that is no bullsh!t.

the thing i noticed that i cannot believe his he winces when a guy lines up on the big shot. i've seen it a couple of times... look i've played some pond hockey and some street hockey goalie so i've had a couple of lasers knock the wind out of me, but he's got all that gear and acts fearful of the puck... that is something i don't see from the elite guys.

Just google "crazy goalies" and see how many hits you get. Parent was definitely flaky, there just was no ESPN or 24/7 to show it to the world. Gerry Cheevers was Ron Hextall before there was Ron Hextall (not to mention his goalie mask). If you don't believe that goalies have always been a little "different", read this:

http://www.canada.co...cd4d00816c4&p=2

The article would agree with you, that goalies today don't seem quite as weird as they used to be, but these guys are the exception to the historical rule.

Edited by JackStraw

I don't care if the goalie is crazy or sane. I just want him to stop the puck. Bryzgalov just isn't doing that enough. I really don't care who's a great interview with the media or who tells them to GFY. If they play as well as they can, that's all I want. I haven't read any great quotes from Simmonds, but he's been throwing so e good checks and scoring goals, so I like him. Bryzgalov seems more concerned with being a media darling than doing his job.

Simmond's doesn't seem to get a lot of interviews, agreed?

@SoCalFlyfan

Goalies have always been the "drummers" of hockey. I mean lets face it, do normal people prefer to shoot or get shot at? I agree that todays goalie seems a lot more normal than any other generation I remember or heard of. But Bryzgalovs wacked out personality would fit in with most goalies over history.

The whole pre-game meal scene surprised me a bit... you think the guys were just messing with him or Bryz really doesn't fit in that well with the guys?

Let's see, do I want to eat lunch over a normal conversation or with with Ilya the wacko? Hmmm.

@Leach27

Haven't seen him do many. maybe he prefers not to. Hope that doesn't make him a horrible person in anyones eyes. I personally think the media is way too intrusive and would likely give them mainly GFY interviews. I don't get someone who thinks Bryz is great because he spends all his time with a microphone in front of his face instead of working on what he's supposed to be doing...which he isn't, stopping the puck. (sorry rad, couldn't help it, though he didn't have a bad game against Dallas)