Bryz ...still crazy.

Guest SoCalFlyfan

The whole pre-game meal scene surprised me a bit... you think the guys were just messing with him or Bryz really doesn't fit in that well with the guys?

I kinda thought it was because the cameras were following Bryz around and the rest of team didn't want to deal with the HBO crew during lunch.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally I like player interviews, I like hearing what they have to say even if it is the same old crap. It's either that or nothing. Since it's all just entertainment at this point the interviews are part of it.

To me Bryzgalov's interviews are not funny and they're not very interesting. What strikes me most is he's trying so hard to give "interesting" or "offbeat" quotes. I wish he'd devote as much time to his game. But he's 31, I guess it's stupid to expect he'll get much better than he already is.

The more I think about what the Flyers did with this Ultra-Fkng-Stupid signing the more I hate Bryzgalov. I know it's misdirected anger because it's not his fault, it's the Flyers' fault for saddling us with this clown for 9 years. There were enough signs imo, omens that this guy was exactly the wrong choice to be our #1 goaltender.

I know what's done is done. I've sworn off ragging on the Jagr signing - not hard to see why, look at the guy on the ice, read the reports about his work ethic - notice how there hasn't been a hint of Jag-girl drama.

With Bryzgalov it's all drama. Will he or won't he look sharp, will he be prepared and in control? Will he make ANY glove saves or will he knock the puck back everyfkngtime into traffic?

Meanwhile he makes jokes. I guess I can't blame him - he makes almost $6 million a year. He can win 45 games or 15 and he'll still be smiling and joking all the way to the bank.

Looks like I won't swear off ragging on Bryzgalov anytime soon.

@canoli

-the thing that baffles me is that most jobs require an interview in the real world. in sports, especially during free agency it's a little different as players stats and accomplishments replace the actual interview process. however, when you are going to saddle onto a goalie for 8 years someone needs to look the guy in eye, ask him questions, and see if he has that fire and that personality you want to build your team around. that didn't happen with bryzgalov. he was the best 'available' goalie supposedly at the moment and we threw everything at him. then he comes in and we find out he's living on planet zargon most of the time.

I hear ya Leach. I don't know who's "closing the door" on him, and it wouldn't matter anyway because like it or not we've got him - for an awfully long time. Maybe SoCal assumes too much but I think his point is a good one. Didn't anyone get a read on this guy as a person before they backed up the Brinks truck to his door?

What makes me even more uneasy about the situation is they probably did have the conversation and decided to ignore what they didn't like. The minute G4 of the 2nd-round was over it was like we had 1 option and 1 option only, hire Bryzgalov no matter what.

@SoCalFlyfan.

I wouldn't close the book yet on bryz, we have even read the final chapter. Were at game 33 out of 82 last time I checked.

i'm not closing the book on his ability in net..that may improve. however i am closing the book on his personality. he's just not the right personality to build your team around.

even holmgren realized this during that rough patch in the beginning when bryz was saying all that crazy stuff and he shut him down from talking to the media. kinda like the bad comedian on stage when a cane comes out from the side and yanks him off.

@SoCalFlyfan.

I wouldn't close the book yet on bryz, we have even read the final chapter. Were at game 33 out of 82 last time I checked.

82? I think you mean 738 games plus playoffs, maybe he plays 540 of those and thats averaging 60 per year. I do not look forward to watching him play in that many games.

Edited by Vincent05

Speaking as the owner of an all white Husky (albeit a male with brown eyes) I found his comment completely understandable, and in fact, evidence of a well adjusted human being with exceptionally good taste in dogs.

Speaking as the owner of an all white Husky (albeit a male with brown eyes) I found his comment completely understandable, and in fact, evidence of a well adjusted human being with exceptionally good taste in dogs.

Never get between a man and his dog...

I watched highlights of the game from last night and 3 out of those 4 goals didn't look like Bryz's fault. 2 were great deflections and one was a rebound where the guy was completely uncovered. I'm not super confident with Bryz but some people seem to be hating him when he doesn't have much defensive help and the other team has legitimately good goals, such as on deflections.

and one was a rebound where the guy was completely uncovered

a rebound from 18 inches out. i still can't figure out how that got by. goalie pads are 11 inches wide, and the cuff of a catching glove is 8 inches. the angles say there should be no way a puck gets past that 19 inch (at its narrowest point) wall from that close. the geometry just doesn't work.

unless it wasn't a wall and the glove was somewhere other than where it was supposed to be......

a rebound from 18 inches out. i still can't figure out how that got by. goalie pads are 11 inches wide, and the cuff of a catching glove is 8 inches. the angles say there should be no way a puck gets past that 19 inch (at its narrowest point) wall from that close. the geometry just doesn't work.

unless it wasn't a wall and the glove was somewhere other than where it was supposed to be......

I didnt' see a lot of replays of it but when you get a quick rebound a goalie can't always react that quickly, and some shots are well-placed. I played hockey for 12 years and I've scored goals from some seemingly impossible angles that just got by in the right places. I would like to see Bob play some more though. The players really do seem like they aren't big fans of Bryz, based on 24/7. They seemed to kind of be making fun of him by going along with his rants. But who knows?

I kind of think the skaters believe Bob got a raw deal. They seem to play even harder for Bob.

He's also a young guy that I'm sure they'd like to see pan out and give him some confidence. Teams seem to play hard and really defend their home-grown goalies, such as Miller and Brodeur. Bryzgalov came in on a huge contract, talking himself up quite a bit where Sergei is just the quiet hard-working guy. I really really like Bobrovsky and want to see him as the goalie of the future.

Also, what part of Maryland are you in?

Edited by PHI Flyers10

At the moment all over, but I plan on moving to Baltimore soonish. Why?

I'm from Maryland, grew up here my whole life. My location is PA because I go to Penn State but I'm home on break. I life pretty much dead center between Baltimore and Annapolis in a town called Severn, right next to Ft. Meade.

well, my opinion, but if a skater is in that close and doesn't have the ability to manuever, the goalie should eat that up. move callahan 10 feet out, then yeah, i'm with you. that close, though, the available angles are just too limited, the goalie can and should be able to cover them all. a goal from that spot is a leak.

well, my opinion, but if a skater is in that close and doesn't have the ability to manuever, the goalie should eat that up. move callahan 10 feet out, then yeah, i'm with you. that close, though, the available angles are just too limited, the goalie can and should be able to cover them all. a goal from that spot is a leak.

I think if Bryzgalov was more upright and a little further left then he would have definitely had it. He was down too low and it let Callahan put it up high.