Iggy to flyers for Laughton?

Guest Jmdodgesrt4

What kind of fantasy is this? Laughton is a nobody as of yet. All he has shown is heart, and that's not enough to be on most NHL rosters right now, let alone traded for a 30 goal man. I know you guys live your draft picks but come on!!

You do realize that Iginla is 35 YEARS OLD right? Laughton showed talent in his limited chance. A nobody? Don't think so. People around the league scout everyone and he's been noticed by people. You can't keep going around trading 19 year olds for 35 year olds when your not close to winning a cup, thats just plain idiotic!

• Like 3

You do realize that Iginla is 35 YEARS OLD right? Laughton showed talent in his limited chance. A nobody? Don't think so. People around the league scout everyone and he's been noticed by people. You can't keep going around trading 19 year olds for 35 year olds when your not close to winning a cup, thats just plain idiotic!

Now you're just making stuff up. The ONLY thing anyone noticed about Laughton was he was drafted before he should've been. Please show me anything to support your "noticed" claim. If it weren't for this board I wouldn't even know who he is. Why was he noticed? Because in his time up he skated hard? He really tried? He's super nice? He may have impressed Flyers fans by trying real hard, but please show me where he was noticed.

And to say he's of value compared to a 35 year old... Who happens to be a perennial all star that scores 30+ goals a year?! You gotta be kidding me. Laughton as of yet is an after thought in any kind of trade. Fodder to add to something more worthy.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

I don't know if you remember a discussion we ( the collective we) had shortly after the draft regarding this very player. The final word from that thread supported by some hardcore Canadian scouting reports was Laughton was a good pick, with + skills projecting to be a Mike Richards Jared Stoll type player. his play for Oshuwa has been very good, and while he wasn't invited to team Canada try outs he was invited to try out for the best league in the world, made the team that drafted him even though that team is deep at the center position. Sure the #2 center was injured but still he showed well. he could be the heart and soul type player teams need to win it's last game, I would not, nor would you, trade Laughton this year, for a past his prime rugged winger, with elite skill for this iteration of the Flyers. That trade with extras makes little sense for this roster at this time.

@Polaris922

I don't know if you remember a discussion we ( the collective we) had shortly after the draft regarding this very player. The final word from that thread supported by some hardcore Canadian scouting reports was Laughton was a good pick, with + skills projecting to be a Mike Richards Jared Stoll type player. his play for Oshuwa has been very good, and while he wasn't invited to team Canada try outs he was invited to try out for the best league in the world, made the team that drafted him even though that team is deep at the center position. Sure the #2 center was injured but still he showed well. he could be the heart and soul type player teams need to win it's last game, I would not, nor would you, trade Laughton this year, for a past his prime rugged winger, with elite skill for this iteration of the Flyers. That trade with extras makes little sense for this roster at this time.

I'm not arguing the kid MAY turn into something in the future. I'm saying there's no way he's worth anything near Iginla right now. He has yet to prove he's even NHL material, let alone equal value of a guy like Iginla. Iginla may be old, but he's everything you used to describe Laughton PLUS a proven veteran PLUS he hasn't scored less than 30 goals since 2001, including two 40+ and two 50+ seasons.

Honestly to even think Laughton comes close is Ludicrous. Now if you were to say Couturier and Laughton it becomes improbable but at least arguable. Not straight up though.

@Polaris922

where did i say laughton for ignila straight up ?

I did a poor job of making my point here, the kid is good, and projects to be a solid 3rd maybe 2nd line centerman. you like to act like he's a bum and homer was high on draft day, if there's one thing homer can do is scout a late 1st early 2nd round centerman.

jerome iginla is on the wrong side of 35 and will not improve (barring any deer antler use) or really help the team in the long term, can he even be signed ? do you (not you, the flyer nation you) want him to be signed ?Can he even help the team short term ? he cannot play defense to my knowledge. Can he make an outlet pass ? how about skate the puck out of the defensive zone ? will he win a race for the puck vs the dump & chase ?

Hartnell, and Simmonds will return and they will be what they are, and the team will start to score a little more. trading some young guys for Iginla with this roster should be a non-starter, and i say that a guy that has admired iggy .

so to me laughton, courterier , schenn are not worth trading for a guy that will be a 2 year rental max, regardless of what he has done in his career.

@Polaris922

where did i say laughton for ignila straight up ?

I did a poor job of making my point here, the kid is good, and projects to be a solid 3rd maybe 2nd line centerman. you like to act like he's a bum and homer was high on draft day, if there's one thing homer can do is scout a late 1st early 2nd round centerman.

jerome iginla is on the wrong side of 35 and will not improve (barring any deer antler use) or really help the team in the long term, can he even be signed ? do you (not you, the flyer nation you) want him to be signed ?Can he even help the team short term ? he cannot play defense to my knowledge. Can he make an outlet pass ? how about skate the puck out of the defensive zone ? will he win a race for the puck vs the dump & chase ?

Hartnell, and Simmonds will return and they will be what they are, and the team will start to score a little more. trading some young guys for Iginla with this roster should be a non-starter, and i say that a guy that has admired iggy .

so to me laughton, courterier , schenn are not worth trading for a guy that will be a 2 year rental max, regardless of what he has done in his career.

I didn't say he's a bum. I said right now he is nothing but potential. Potential success. Or potential failure. But not worth anywhere near Iginla. Iginla still earns his pay.

I wouldn't make the trade if I were you either, because Iginla won't bring you a Cup right now.

I wouldn't make the trade if I were Calgary either. Laughton is not worth Iginla. Not even close.

• Like 1

And from my friend,which has been right a lot,

Right about what?? Not to bust balls, so this is your friends rumor mill, an online (eklund-esque rumor mill, etc.), or a reliable source rumor mill (though that sounds like an oxymoron)? I remember a person who had inside sources. Ah, the good old days. I wonder how golfing is these days?

• Like 1

Seems to buzzing around in the rumor mill. And from my friend,which has been right a lot, days the flyers have asked about iggy. Thoughts ?

Yeah: The flyers have 1.5M in cap room and Iggy's cap hit is 7M. Even prorated + Leightons contract, that number does not fit. Why in the world would Calgary want Leighton for Iggy. They certainly could get a much more substantial offer at the deadline for a team that it is in the money. Seems a load of BS to me. Sorry for being caustic, but these "my friend who is in the know said" things just irk me.

• Like 1

Right about what?? Not to bust balls, so this is your friends rumor mill, an online (eklund-esque rumor mill, etc.), or a reliable source rumor mill (though that sounds like an oxymoron)? I remember a person who had inside sources. Ah, the good old days. I wonder how golfing is these days?

There are a few people on this board you can back me up on this. Been right before with trades. However just because the talk happened doesn't mean it's leading to a trade. Just like talking to nucks for luongo. My source is a family member of homer. And no I will not say his name or exact relation.

Iginla is a dumb move. Throwing away prospects/picks for a player who can walk in 3 months is just stupid. This team isn't winning the Cup this year. So what does that trade gain you...a playoff spot? Another round of playoffs, maybe? Pointless to me.

If they are making a move and adding a $7 million dollar/year player, it damn well better be someone who can play on the blueline..and play about 24 mins/game. And I don't see many/any fitting that criteria right now.

• Like 1

There are a few people on this board you can back me up on this. Been right before with trades. However just because the talk happened doesn't mean it's leading to a trade. Just like talking to nucks for luongo. My source is a family member of homer. And no I will not say his name or exact relation.

No problem. Did you see my post about the numbers part of the equation?? It does not come even close to adding up. Truthfully, if a back-up goalie was going to be involved in any Flyers trade, I would think it would be Boucher who at least has proven he is a qualified NHL back-up netminder.

Seems to buzzing around in the rumor mill. And from my friend,which has been right a lot, days the flyers have asked about iggy. Thoughts ?

I'm not against the idea of trading Laughton for a veteran. I have no attachment to him, the team needs some experience to be honest, and since we're loaded with youth they can afford to lose some. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to discard him for a guy that age. 30? Ok. I want a guy who will be here a while.

No problem. Did you see my post about the numbers part of the equation?? It does not come even close to adding up. Truthfully, if a back-up goalie was going to be involved in any Flyers trade, I would think it would be Boucher who at least has proven he is a qualified NHL back-up netminder.

Laughton, the center that played five games before going back down to Juniors. Not Leighton. I don't think there'd be anyone arguing against the move at all if it was Leighton for Iginla.

Laughton, the center that played five games before going back down to Juniors. Not Leighton. I don't think there'd be anyone arguing against the move at all if it was Leighton for Iginla.

My bad. Still, the numbers don't add up at all.