NHL Rescinds Match Penalty on Backes

Guest hf101

3 members have voted

1. 1. Your Call.....you may check more than one option

• Is the NHL right in removing the penalty minutes against Backes?
    • Should the game be called a tie giving 1pt per team?
    • Should there be a shootout to determine the winner?
    • I'm cool with Detroit retaining the 2 pts.
    • Video Review should be Allowed in all instances of "Head Shots"
    • Other, explain below

http://www.stltoday....c3bc7b319d.html

For what it's worth – which certainly isn't two points - the match penalty assessed to Blues forward David Backes in Friday's frustrating 5-3 loss at Detroit has been rescinded by the NHL.

That's right, it never happened.

Backes was given a match penalty, which carries suspension ramifications, for an “illegal hit to the head” of Detroit's Kent Huskins midway through the third period of a 3-3 battle. The Red Wings went on to score on the ensuing power play and later added an empty-net goal to beat the Blues.

Television replays clearly showed Backes hit Huskins with a shoulder to the chest and made no contact with Huskins' head. That is, legal and not to the head. Official Ian Walsh saw it – or some might argue didn't see it – differently.

The damage done, the penalty has now been wiped from the records, like Watergate tapes. “It's like it's a non-call,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “I was told it goes right off the books.”

In effect, it is the NHL's way of acknowledging that the call was absurd. Unfortunately, the teams will not go back to the point in the third period and pick up where they left off before the call influenced the outcome.

Perhaps it delivers a message to officials, who have a tough job supervising a fast sport. Perhaps the message is, when in doubt, don't make a call, particularly in the last few minutes of a tie game.

It often appears the opposite philosophy is employed.

Wow, wtf, has this been done before?

I was just screwed out of 12 penalty minutes in my fhl, ....but seriously....... How does the NHL give Detroit the two points if the penalty never happened? That means the PP never happened and the Detroit didn't score the winning goal.

If the NHL is going to acknowledge blatant mistakes as in this case, why not call the outcome a tie, give the Blues at least a point? Maybe have a shootout to determine the winner at a later meeting?

That may not be the best way to solve this but maybe it would be far more fair than to just giving Detroit the 2 points.

Maybe video review should be allowed for all calls and non calls viewed as hits to the head.

Wow... What do ya do? I mean if we replay every period the refs screw up in we might as well not play any games. If we call it a tie that's punishing Detroit for the refs mistakes. Maybe they would have won regardless? What if a short handed goal is scored do we erase that then too? Dangerous ground...

I'd say Detroit keeps the points as the Blues could have killed the PP and gone on to win.

The video replay is interesting though. Do we video review ALL penalties now? Just major penalties? Hmm...

I'd say Detroit keeps the points as the Blues could have killed the PP and gone on to win.

But what power play? The NHL has stated the penalty didn't happen. A shoulder check to the chest isn't a penalty. If the NHL is going to step in and make the correct call, then don't stop with just the major, make it right. Then they need to have a method of allowing a fair outcome.

I think the league is going to need instant video review for non calls like the elbow to Simmonds and the wrong calls as in this case on Backes.

@hf101 Watched most of this game and was SHOCKED how brutal this call was, one of the very worst ever. The unfortunate point was it totally changed the outcome a great game. This is what I think should happen, this would be just and fair...the next time these teams play, you re-play this game tied 3-3 a the time when the penalty was called, finish the other game and start the other one with a long intermission between the two games.

We have trouble figuring these things out during the slow mo replays...can't imagine trying to call this at full speed, without the perfect line of vision (which rarely happens, due to the speed of the game)....gotta give these guys some help in getting it right. Give each team a review flag to throw twice a game, to be used as they wish....would drag out the game a bit, but the people paying good money in the stands deserve to see the correct calls, not what the ref thought he saw, but what actually happened....AND they get a much better perspective on intent to injure, replays really help in that respect...what happned prior to the hit between the two players? Stuff like that.....

I'm not sure I understand what the debate is about. A ref made a butt ugly abortion of a call that influenced the outcome of a game.....and what, we've never seen this before?? Seriously, should the NFL have awarded the Pack a win after they got robbed on MNF against Seattle? Games are played and officiated by inherently flawed humans, **** happens.

But what power play? The NHL has stated the penalty didn't happen. A shoulder check to the chest isn't a penalty. If the NHL is going to step in and make the correct call, then don't stop with just the major, make it right. Then they need to have a method of allowing a fair outcome.

I think the league is going to need instant video review for non calls like the elbow to Simmonds and the wrong calls as in this case on Backes.

Just pointing out the obvious bud... Yeah it tilted the game, but it didn't automatically award the Wings a goal either. The Blues still could have killed the penalty time and gone on to win. So if they HAD won, would the rescinding if the penalty give the Wings a legitimate gripe? If those 5 minutes "never happened"? So if not, the minute the refs blew it the game became impossible for the Wings to win.

I think the video review thing is the only fair way you resolve this issue. But do you slow the game to a crawl reviewing every call? Only major penalties? Only upon a coaches challenge system? I dunno but a lot of options...

The video replay is interesting though. Do we video review ALL penalties now? Just major penalties? Hmm...

I am all for video review if it involves a player being struck in the head. If you are going to make that call on the ice, Toronto(Replay Officials) should have the chance to reverse seriously blown calls like that. I would not change the points at this point in time but I would make sure that calls such as this get corrected. It is only going to take a minute to review HEAD SHOTS ONLY when they happen. There are not that many of those called during a game to make it a time issue so what would be the big deal besides causing the refs to have to make the right call.....

I'm with @Polaris922 on this one. Humans are calling the game, and they won't always get it right. That's just how it rolls. Heck, Dallas didn't really win a Cup then because the SC winning goal was clearly not a good goal under the rules.

And we've seen how arbitrary some of these after-the-fact decisions have been with respect to suspensions involving hits to the head. How will they judge intent? What about incidental contact with the head? What about height differential, is Chara responsible for hitting Briere in the head if there's a foot difference between them? Let them sort it out for supplemental discipline.

If you want to really make it interesting, have a 'head shot' result in a penalty shot for the opposing team instead of a PP. That will bring the number down. It would be a heckuva lot more interesting than the ridiculous shootout.

I'm with @Polaris922 on this one. Humans are calling the game, and they won't always get it right. That's just how it rolls. Heck, Dallas didn't really win a Cup then because the SC winning goal was clearly not a good goal under the rules.

And we've seen how arbitrary some of these after-the-fact decisions have been with respect to suspensions involving hits to the head. How will they judge intent? What about incidental contact with the head? What about height differential, is Chara responsible for hitting Briere in the head if there's a foot difference between them? Let them sort it out for supplemental discipline.

If you want to really make it interesting, have a 'head shot' result in a penalty shot for the opposing team instead of a PP. That will bring the number down. It would be a heckuva lot more interesting than the ridiculous shootout.

Can you imagine a bad call resulting in a penalty shot to decide an OT playoff game?!?! Good Lord they'd burn the arena down! Lol. Interesting idea though!

We all know the NHL has a history of rescinding penalties and automatic suspensions (see Malkin, Chara, Lucic, Kasparitis, Smith). The match penalty carries an automatic suspension until the NHL determines if it is warranted. I'm not surprised and I agree with them rescinding the penalty. Unfortunately, the call was made and it affected the outcome of the game.

@jammer2

@sarsippius I don't remember the NHL ever recinding a match penalty, which of course, brings about questions like, the Wings scored the winning goal on an officially recinded penalty....the NHL is admitting no offense ever took place....which is new to me.

Yeah the whole thing with rescinding penalties is a bit bizarre....although I can kinda get rescinding the match portion of the penalty since it carries suspension implications for a player down the road. But you're right I don't remember it happening before, and I think it sets a bad precedent. The call is what the call is, it's part of any game and you have to deal with it