Quick update on Simmonds

Guest Irishjim

Wayne believes the worst of his injury is whiplash he sustained during the connection with Erskine's elbow, and deletes any suspicion that his head hit the ice when he fell. "Nope, I didn't hit the ice, but my shoulder blades did. I was lucky. If I had hit my head it could have been a lot worse."

Still no news on when he'll return, but it's great to hear that Simmonds is doing well.

Sounds like Simmonds is a member of the Flyers' medical staff... "whiplash" seems to get thrown around on this team but I never hear it for other teams' players.

I guess he couldn't do any worse than our current staff.

Also, I guess he'd know better, but it really looks like he cranked his head off the ice.

EDIT: uhh... yeah.... he does in fact smack his head off the ice. The fact that he doesn't remember might not be a good thing :-)

His head does bounce off the ice, but it doesn't look like a big impact. If you play, I'm sure you know that there are some bumps that a helmet can really shield you froma nd some that it can't. Honestly as I can say, I would think this looks like one to me where the helmet could have withstood the impact and thus the impact not cause a "concussion"

THAT SAID, I could easily see that elbow and the subsequent "whiplash" causing an awfully serious concussion. This is what killed Lindros... only Simmonds was skating with his head up and just got nailed with an illegal (yet once again unpenalized) hit.

It's one of those where your nerve endings are stretched because your skull is moved violently and quickly through space but becasue of physics your brain wants to stay where it was in space.

Essentially I believe him when he says hitting his head wasn't a problem for him. Obviously, I'm not his doctor, but just watching, I don't think he has a concussion due to that but at the same time, the "whiplash" can be quite serious and needs to be treated as such.

It's one of those where your nerve endings are stretched because your skull is moved violently and quickly through space but becasue of physics your brain wants to stay where it was in space

coup contrecoup, is the technical term for it, and it can be a killer. i think jimmy "the groin' mccrossin doesn't like to sound all faggy and french.

If it was Latin he could sound more 'professional' and get away with it I guess. But screw that. Danny, Max and Claude would get a kick out of it.

coup contrecoup, is the technical term for it, and it can be a killer. i think jimmy "the groin' mccrossin doesn't like to sound all faggy and french.

• Like 1

His head does bounce off the ice, but it doesn't look like a big impact. If you play, I'm sure you know that there are some bumps that a helmet can really shield you froma nd some that it can't. Honestly as I can say, I would think this looks like one to me where the helmet could have withstood the impact and thus the impact not cause a "concussion"

THAT SAID, I could easily see that elbow and the subsequent "whiplash" causing an awfully serious concussion. This is what killed Lindros... only Simmonds was skating with his head up and just got nailed with an illegal (yet once again unpenalized) hit.

It's one of those where your nerve endings are stretched because your skull is moved violently and quickly through space but becasue of physics your brain wants to stay where it was in space.

Essentially I believe him when he says hitting his head wasn't a problem for him. Obviously, I'm not his doctor, but just watching, I don't think he has a concussion due to that but at the same time, the "whiplash" can be quite serious and needs to be treated as such.

NHL docs say helmets only stop fractures and have zero to do with limiting concussions. I've sat in on their lectures and the way they explain it it makes sense to me. The coup contrecoup is dangerous.

Edited by Polaris922