Broad Street Bullies, Carbomb, and Bias

Guest canoli

you admitted pretending to have to love Crosby...and that your Pens tanked to get Mario? Ah...musta missed that. Doesn't matter, facts are facts.

Okay..."agree to disagree" I guess. But Jeez I never heard one lousy comment get so much mileage before in my life!

Carry on!

@canoli

<< you admitted pretending to have to love Crosby...and that your Pens tanked to get Mario? Ah...musta missed that. Doesn't matter, facts are facts. >>

Not Crosby. Admitted to the Pens tanking? Yup. Not that the Pens tanking to get Lemieux has anything to do with this "discussion". Hence...do you want your 2nd pound of flesh?

<< Okay..."agree to disagree" I guess. But Jeez I never heard one lousy comment get so much mileage before in my life! >>

Come see me again in 2 years when "I don't like them..." is still making the rounds. It's not dopey. It's very telling. Like you said...facts are facts.

LOL...the force must be in balance with the universe again..,, you have to love it. A Pens fan arguing with a Flyers fan about Dan "Carbomb" Carcillo (who does not even play for the Flyers anymore) and the BSB mentality on a thread dedicated to the Wayne Simmonds concussion injury! :)

Ya gotta love it!

(Disclaimer - I by no means mean any disrespect to either Canoli or B21, who are both excellant posters on this forum. Just chuckling how this topic got soooo far off topic!)

• Like 1

(Disclaimer - I by no means mean any disrespect to either Canoli or B21, who are both excellant posters on this forum. Just chuckling how this topic got soooo far off topic!)

Yes... I was wondering too what does Simmonds being concussed has to do with any of this.

@Mad Dog

@pilldoc

Serious question. Is there some sort of etiquette when a thread heads off on a tangent? Instead of "lets take this outside" should it be "lets take this to another thread"? Pistols at dawn? Sciccors, rock, paper? Threads seem to go OT all the time especially when the issue is suspensions, bias, league discipline, Dan Carcillo, et al.

Take this thread...around #30 I took issue with a "Rinaldo bias" comment (at that point this thread was on it's way to being OT anyway). After about 30 rounds on Rinaldo, Canoli took issue with me brining up Holmgren's now well-discussed comments about Carcillo which led to our BSB duel.

Just wondering.

@Mad Dog

@pilldoc

Serious question. Is there some sort of etiquette when a thread heads off on a tangent? Instead of "lets take this outside" should it be "lets take this to another thread"? Pistols at dawn? Sciccors, rock, paper? Threads seem to go OT all the time especially when the issue is suspensions, bias, league discipline, Dan Carcillo, et al.

Take this thread...around #30 I took issue with a "Rinaldo bias" comment (at that point this thread was on it's way to being OT anyway). After about 30 rounds on Rinaldo, Canoli took issue with me brining up Holmgren's now well-discussed comments about Carcillo which led to our BSB duel.

Just wondering.

Yeah, good point. We probably should have 'moderated' this several pages back, and I will do that now.

Neal was a 40 goal scorer last season...one of only 4 players to eclipse that number. I'd say that puts him in the "star" category at least enough so that he can be included when the argument is about star players getting (or not getting) suspended.

no, different situation. malkin's instigator came at the end of a convincing game 2 win by the wings, series at 2-0 detroit. had malkin missed game 3, the pens would have seriously been up against it and a 3-0 series was a likely outcome. someone somewhere decided that the automatic, no hearing needed 1 game suspension for an instigator in the last 5 minutes would be waived in this case, and so the pens had their most lethal forward for that critical game 3.

neal was not the best hope for his team to pull things around, losing him did not all but ensure a next game loss, which would all but ensure a series loss. the pens were already down 0-3, the series was functionally already lost, unlike the up-in-the-air-ness of the 0-2 detroit series.

so, no. all other pens conspiracy stuff aside, malkin getting a pass on what was not supposed to be a judgement call suspension was inexplicable. except it was entirely explicable.

no, different situation. malkin's instigator came at the end of a convincing game 2 win by the wings, series at 2-0 detroit. had malkin missed game 3, the pens would have seriously been up against it and a 3-0 series was a likely outcome. someone somewhere decided that the automatic, no hearing needed 1 game suspension for an instigator in the last 5 minutes would be waived in this case, and so the pens had their most lethal forward for that critical game 3.

neal was not the best hope for his team to pull things around, losing him did not all but ensure a next game loss, which would all but ensure a series loss. the pens were already down 0-3, the series was functionally already lost, unlike the up-in-the-air-ness of the 0-2 detroit series.

so, no. all other pens conspiracy stuff aside, malkin getting a pass on what was not supposed to be a judgement call suspension was inexplicable. except it was entirely explicable.

Two different situations only being compared to show sometimes star players get a break (Malkin) and sometimes not (Neal).

Your rationale makes sense; I've never disagreed with it. That said, it still doesn't explain an irrelevant player like Scott Walker also getting a pass for getting an insitgator in the last 5:00 other than it being another notch in the league-is-inconsistent belt.

Any educated sports fan (which you are) knows that rarely will a player be punished so as to cause them to miss a championship game or miss a game in a championship series. Sunday's Super Bowl is the most recent example. Cary Williams of the Ravens pushed a referee. That's an automatic ejection but he was allowed to remain in the game.

A truly dangerous play (think Aaron Rome) should be punishable.

I can appreciate the fact that in a sport's pinnacle event the referees/offcicials allow that the emotions may be running a little higher and will show more leeway with players. It's common knowledge and common sense that it happens and has for a while. That is, unless you are asking most Flyers fans about Malkin. Then suddenly it's bias.

That's what the word bias means. And there still is one against the Flyers. It's slowly getting better... but still... how many times has Bryz been crashed this year without a call?

Coburn in particular has been the victim of numerous phantom calls.

I believe it's a totally unconscious bias. I don't think they know they're doing it. Like you say, they're not "out to get" anyone anymore -though in the past it has been worse and I have been forced to wonder.

But it's inherent, these guys see orange and are just predisposed to think something wrong happened. As younger refs come into the league it slowly fades away... slowly.

On the crashing the goalie thing in particular, I've noticed this getting worse over the past few years. There's no doubt in my mind that last night was intentional and it nearly injured Bryz which cannot be accepted.

The Devils game, they interfered with Bryz, it cost him his stick and the team a goal.

That cannot be permitted to continue. If they don't start calling it, I think it needs to be reciprocated immediately with a goalie crash of our own to at least let the other team know the Flyers aren't going to stand for that kind of crap on their goalie.

Simply put, you do not mess with the goalie. PERIOD. Screen him. Back into him while screening him. Cross in front of him to the corner... that's all gamesmanship. You make contact inside the crease, you've got to pay for it.

I don't know that there's any "Flyers bias" anymore

@Mad Dog

@pilldoc

Just wondering.

It was not a shot at you or Canoli. It was not actually a shot at anybody at all. It's just kinda funny to me how sometimes we start a thread and by the time the thread is througth 15-20 posts it becomes sreally off-topic. It's all good.

It was not a shot at you or Canoli. It was not actually a shot at anybody at all. It's just kinda funny to me how sometimes we start a thread and by the time the thread is througth 15-20 posts it becomes sreally off-topic. It's all good.

No worries. I don't think either of us took it that way.

LOL...the force must be in balance with the universe again..,, you have to love it. A Pens fan arguing with a Flyers fan about Dan "Carbomb" Carcillo (who does not even play for the Flyers anymore) and the BSB mentality on a thread dedicated to the Wayne Simmonds concussion injury! :)

Ya gotta love it!

EXACTLY! I lolve it