Thoughts On Brayden Schenn

Guest Dynamo 47

Out of curiosity who would you trade Courts or Schenn for that is equal value? I don't think you can get anyone that can really help right now unless it's a package.

i don't know, ekman-larsson in phoenix, maybe? maybe they'd like to find a real center for doan before he's 400 years old?

who knows if they be interested. my point is, i don't know how schenn is going to find an opportunity with the flyers in his natural position. they can either shoehorn him into another spot, which could work...bump someone else to another spot...or they can move schenn for someone who can slide into a spot that the team will need some help with over the next few years. i'm not super anxious to trade the kid, i just really can't see how the roster can be shuffled to accomodate all the centers they currently have, and so would not be upset if the flyers found a way to translate his value into something that fits the team's needs better.

I don't know many people that were happy to give up Sbisa. Did the Flyers get a good return for him? Yes. Did people want to see Sbisa go? No. i think the lack of a real 5/6 d-man is going to get Schenn sent away. Do I think that is a good thing? Not really, but he is one of the stronger bargaining chips the Flyers have got. Bottom line is you have to give to get and the Flyers have too many choices at center for that to be the issue.....

I don't know many people that were happy to give up Sbisa. Did the Flyers get a good return for him? Yes. Did people want to see Sbisa go? No. i think the lack of a real 5/6 d-man is going to get Schenn sent away. Do I think that is a good thing? Not really, but he is one of the stronger bargaining chips the Flyers have got. Bottom line is you have to give to get and the Flyers have too many choices at center for that to be the issue.....

I was one of the ones who was ecstatic to see him go because it meant bringing the Flyers a first time hall of famer and our first Norris Trophy candidate since Mark Howe in Pronger.

I thought Sbisa was a nice defenseman but certainly not a top pairing and I had concerns he was even a top 4.

Lilja and Walker seem to me to be the definition of "real 5/6" guys. Especially once Pronger's back:

Pronger, Timonen, Meszaros, Coburn, Carle, Walker/Lilja

Seems to fit perfectly. The real problems comes in paying your "5" (Carle or Coburn) $3.4M or $3.8M.

If you're looking to trade for a "real 5/6" then I think saving some salary on either Carle or Coburn would be the way to go before Schenn.

That said, I don't think we need to "fix" the D and I don't expect any game-changing deals until next Spring.

I wouldn't trade schenn for Sbisa. But I would be fine seeing him traded for defensive help. Let's face it, this defense isn't very good without Pronger. Carle makes so many ******* mistakes. Honestly so does Coburn and Mezsaros. I really don't understand when people call them one of the best bluelines in the league. They really aren't at all. Hopefully when Timonen comes off the books they use his cap space for a good D-man.

I wouldn't trade schenn for Sbisa. But I would be fine seeing him traded for defensive help. Let's face it, this defense isn't very good without Pronger. Carle makes so many ******* mistakes. Honestly so does Coburn and Mezsaros. I really don't understand when people call them one of the best bluelines in the league. They really aren't at all. Hopefully when Timonen comes off the books they use his cap space for a good D-man.

Who isn't on the downside of his career.

Welcome to the board FG.

Hey there FG - good to see you on board here!

Timmo's off after next season so that space will open up. I don't think he was on the "downside of his career" when they signed him - but that was four whole seasons ago.

I think you need to compare this D to other teams. I don't think they're hands down "the best" but they do have a solid Top 5 - even with the mistakes you mention. And there are mistakes. But, honestly, everybody makes them.

Coburn and Carle frustrate me. Meszaros less. Pronger/Timonen I'm good with. Walker/Lilja make a not bad 6/7 pair.

The problem is that the D is too expensive - which is what most "writers" are looking at in terms of "quality".

Hey there FG - good to see you on board here!

Timmo's off after next season so that space will open up. I don't think he was on the "downside of his career" when they signed him - but that was four whole seasons ago.

I think you need to compare this D to other teams. I don't think they're hands down "the best" but they do have a solid Top 5 - even with the mistakes you mention. And there are mistakes. But, honestly, everybody makes them.

Coburn and Carle frustrate me. Meszaros less. Pronger/Timonen I'm good with. Walker/Lilja make a not bad 6/7 pair.

The problem is that the D is too expensive - which is what most "writers" are looking at in terms of "quality".

You compare them to other teams on paper and they look good. You compare the results, and they are pretty mediocre. Especially without pronger. Carle is vastly overpaid and I hope the flyers are smart enough to let him walk next summer when he commands some ridiculous money. But this team's blueline is pretty middle of the pack on the ice, which is where counts.

Flyers need to be patient with Schenn, give him full year and then evaluate him.

I don't think anyone expects the Flyers to challenge for the cup this year, or that they are a defenceman (as most suggest for a trade) away from being a true contender. Plus with Pronger in the team, the whole defense looks and plays much better.

It's too early to tell what should be done with Schenn. I think he should go back to the AHL and develop. Next year, we re-evaluate the teams needs and ask a few questions:

• Can Schenn or Couturier be successfully converted to wing?
  • Does the D need an upgrade because someone is playing too old?
  • What does the cap situation look like?

I'm expecting that the team will need to move salary and improve at least one D position. Schenn might develop into the player that Philly needs or he might be the guy that helps us nab a good D-man. Who knows? It's too early to say. There are some young forwards, some old D, and the team is right up against the cap so anything could happen. Thankfully, due to Homer's moves, the team has options.

I say keep him for now. He hasn't settled in to find his comfort level yet so I would hold onto him....

I'm curious to see who he is paired with when he returns from his injury and how that will affect the rest of the lines we've been rolling for the past couple of games.

I say keep him for now. He hasn't settled in to find his comfort level yet so I would hold onto him....

I'm curious to see who he is paired with when he returns from his injury and how that will affect the rest of the lines we've been rolling for the past couple of games.

Remember when he was brought up last time? Kinda screwed up our rhythm.

LOL, now, I'm not saying it's Schenn's fault, but we had something that was working well, so why screw with the lineup???

Brelic, that's exactly what I'm talking about! We were rolling along nicely...sure it wasn't perfect but there was FLOW. Schenn came in and the engine stopped working. Like you said, I don't think it's his fault and he deserved the call-up, but it should just be interesting to see what happens....

Hey, every team has roles to be filled. The issue here is that his role is being filled by others who are doing it better right now. He'll get his shot eventually when he comes back (which I'm not sure of the time frame) and lets hope that the team adjusts to keep the train moving forward. I'd rather them sort this all out early in the season than in late March / early April.

My only problem was when he was called up Lavi made changes to 3 of the 4 lines. When things are going well you don't do that. You can bring him up but you only swap player for player even if means Schenn plays wing on the 4th line. Get him some experience is a great idea but you don't upset the whole apple cart to do it.

I wonder who's decision it was to work it that way. Hommer? Lavi? What pressure was there to get schenn into the spot light because of giving up Richards? Well, who ever or for whatever reason it was very bad execution.

My only problem was when he was called up Lavi made changes to 3 of the 4 lines. When things are going well you don't do that. You can bring him up but you only swap player for player even if means Schenn plays wing on the 4th line. Get him some experience is a great idea but you don't upset the whole apple cart to do it.

I wonder who's decision it was to work it that way. Hommer? Lavi? What pressure was there to get schenn into the spot light because of giving up Richards? Well, who ever or for whatever reason it was very bad execution.

Well, Schenn did get 8 points in 4 AHL games, showing that he definitely belongs with the big boys. Problem is, the big club was firing on all cylinders, and really had no room for him without disrupting the roster. A big part of it is that he got injured in training camp, which opened the door for guys like Read, Couturier, and Harry Z to impress the coach, and they did. Read and Couturier, who I think are probably the direct competition for Schenn, earned a roster spot, and deserve to stay here.

It will be interesting when he returns...