Third and fourth lines. Ugh. Oh and losing two in a row

Guest yave1964

Well, so far, out of the third and fourth lines, Eaves, Miller, Tootoo, Helm, Samuelsson, Abdelkader, Cleary and Emmerton, also known as the arson squad, we have exactly zero goals through nine games. NO TEAM, can win with this lack of production from the bottom two pairings. Babcock has been screaming for help in this area for years but it just gets worse and worse. Tatar and Nyquist need to be permanent NHLers for this to correct itself, if not it will be a long, long season.

Calgary and Columbus, two bottom feeders were next on the schedule after the emotional 5-3 win against the Blues. We lost the two games by a combined 8-3. The jackets had won only two games all year, the Flames had won only one.

Jimmy Howard needs a game off. His .890 save percentage and a defense that doesnt give up a ton of shots but when they do, they are quality chances for the opponent will make him an old man soon. Mrazak, the 19 year old kid who was tearing it up at the AHL level has been called up to back him up as Gustafsson continues to rehab, give the kid a start.

The defense again against Calgary did not give up a ton of chances but when they do it is like vapor lock, they play their butts off for a while then give up highlight reel shots to the other team. Quincey is as usual the well deserving scapegoat, but with Brendan Smith and his plus four going down and a bottom pairing of Lashoff, a AHL lifer if ever there should be one, and Huskins, who was signed off the street, the talent level is the lowest I have ever seen on a Wings blue line. Holland needs to step up and do his job.

Last point, Filpulla and Howard are both free agents after this season. Do we sign them long term and risk not having cap space for the free agent class next season or let them go and try to pick up some new blood in July? If we find ourselves on the outside do we trade these two to get something before losing them this summer?

All and all, it has been a wonderful twenty two year run, but it is looking more and more like it is over. The Flames and Jackets. Ugh.

Edited by yave1964

@yave1964

Don't despair man, things could be worse. For example, you could be a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I agree that Holland needs to do something about the D. Problem is, they're at a premium right now.

And what's the point of being ultra-patient with talented prospects like Tatar and Nyquist if you aren't eventually going to give them a shot? I don't get it. I can't imagine what it's like to be drafted by DET. You're looking at minimum 5 years, prolly longer, before you get a legitimate shot. It must be demoralizing.

• Like 1

Last point, Filpulla and Howard are both free agents after this season. Do we sign them long term and risk not having cap space for the free agent class next season or let them go and try to pick up some new blood in July? If we find ourselves on the outside do we trade these two to get something before losing them this summer?

All and all, it has been a wonderful twenty two year run, but it is looking more and more like it is over. The Flames and Jackets. Ugh.

Filppula? Absolutely...sign him. He's indispensible. Howard...sign him to another few years (not long-term) if he improves this season like mad. Still...need another blueliner. Don't need a huge name like Suter, but one (or two) decent, wily veterans.

• Like 1

Filppula? Absolutely...sign him. He's indispensible. Howard...sign him to another few years (not long-term) if he improves this season like mad. Still...need another blueliner. Don't need a huge name like Suter, but one (or two) decent, wily veterans.

Filpulla is turning in to one heck of a nice player, I hope he stays.

The problem as I see it with Howard is he really has not made real money yet in the NHL, the Wings have gotten maximum bang for buck, if he hits free agency, a team, the Leafs come to mind as a for instance who hand out long term big money contracts like they are going out of style will over pay. I bet you a dozen game tokens Wingnut that Howard is gone aftger this year, and I also bet you it is Toronto who ******es him up.

We really are not set up too badly if that happens, plus it frees mony up to fill more pressing needs.

I bet you a dozen game tokens Wingnut that Howard is gone aftger this year, and I also bet you it is Toronto who ******es him up..

You're on!@ (Now how do we do that...)

Actually what will probably happen, if the Wings decide to keep him, is they'll sign him to 2-3 years for a significant salary bump just to make sure he stays. He likes it here, he grew up within the club, so that gives the front office the edge. If he comes through during those next few years (like maybe, I dunno, say...a Cup?), they'll sign him through the apocalypse

• Like 1