Panthers vs. Flyers, 7/2/2013

brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-2713-vs-Panthers/45/49101#.UROsgR1JMuc

PREVIEW 6:45 AM

Looking for their third straight win, the Philadelphia Flyers (4-6-0) host the Florida Panthers (3-5-1) tonight at the Wells Fargo Center. The game starts at 7 p.m. and will be televised locally on Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia.

This is the second of three meetings between the teams this season. On Jan. 26 in Sunrise, Fla., Philly pummeled the Panthers by a 7-1 count. Matt Read scored a hat trick, while the Flyers got single goals from Wayne Simmonds, Tye McGinn, Ruslan Fedotenko and defenseman Luke Schenn. Ilya Bryzgalov made 27 saves for the victory.

At the time, the defending Southeast Division champion Panthers were missing their entire top line due to injury. Subsequently, the likes of Stephen Weiss and ex-Flyer Kris Versteeg returned to Kevin Dineen's lineup. The Panthers are 2-0-1 in their last three games but are coming off a 3-2 overtime loss to Winnipeg.

The Flyers put forth a strong 60-minute effort in Tuesday's 2-1 win over Tampa Bay. Tonight, they need to guard against overconfidence when facing a club whom they blew out in the first game and defeated in three of four meetings last year.

Philly has been missing some key personnel from the lineup -- Scott Hartnell (foot), Wayne Simmonds (concussion) and Andrej Meszaros (shoulder) -- and goals have been hard to come by in most games. The Flyers have scored two or fewer goals in eight of the 10 games this season.

The Flyers' special teams cost the club several games in the first couple weeks of the regular season. They've played better on both the power play and penalty kill the last couple games, but that trend can just as easily take a negative turn again if the club does not stay focused.

On a game-in and game-out basis thus far in the season, Ilya Bryzgalov has been among the Flyers' best players. It would be a boon if he could get a little more goal support to work with, but he's given the team a chance to win even on nights where there have been numerous breakdowns in front of him.

Simmonds has returned to practice. There is at least an outside chance that he will play tonight but it is more likely that the team errs on the side on caution. In that event, barring a setback, he is a good bet to play on Saturday afternoon against Carolina.

The Flyers have reportedly agreed to a one-year contract extension with Kimmo Timonen. Due to the back-diving structure of his soon-to-expire seven-year contract, Timonen's salary will double next season from the prorated $3 million he's making in 2012-13. However, his cap hit will decrease slightly to $6 million.

Although coming off a stellar game against Tampa Bay, the 38-year-old four-time NHL All-Star has appeared at times this season to have lost a step. Even so, he still remains the single most important member of the Philadelphia blueline.

Timonen would have been the top remaining potential unrestricted free agent defenseman on the market this July, which means his open market value would have been in line with the money he'll get next year from the Flyers. Beyond Timonen, the top available names would be the likes of Sergei Gonchar, Ron Hainsey, Lubomir Visnovsky, Mark Streit, Ryan Whitney and defensive defenseman Robyn Regehr. None of those players have Timonen's two-way ability.

Because Timonen's extension is only for one year, the NHL's over-35 rules will not apply to the new deal. Additionally, his price tag was NOT going to decrease by a penny between now and July (and there's no such thing as a hometown discount anymore in the league, especially after two lockouts).

PROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

15 Tye McGinn - 28 Claude Giroux - 48 Danny Briere

24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 9 Mike Knuble

36 Zac Rinaldo- 10 Brayden Schenn - 93 Jakub Voracek

26 Ruslan Fedotenko - 25 Max Talbot - 32 Tom Sestito

44 Kimmo Timonen - 22 Luke Schenn

5 Braydon Coburn - 27 Bruno Gervais

8 Nicklas Grossmann - 3 Kurtis Foster

30 Ilya Bryzgalov

[49 Michael Leighton]

Panthers

14 Tomas Fleischmann - 9 Stephen Weiss - 32 Kris Versteeg

11 Jonathan Huberdeau - 50 Drew Shore - 88 Peter Mueller

82 Tomas Kopecky - 57 Marcel Goc - 27 Alexei Kovalev

18 Shawn Matthias - 25 Jerred Smithson - 22 George Parros

17 Filip Kuba - 51 Brian Campbell

7 Dmitry Kulikov - 43 Mike Weaver

4 Keaton Ellerby - 23 Tyson Strachan

30 Scott Clemmensen / 60 Jose Theodore

I wonder if Parros will try to tune up Zac.....If the rumors about teams putting a target on his back are true. Funny how everybody forgets how it was Crombeen who went after Giroux that started the fracas. Lecavier/Schenn was 2 equal (size) guys and Vinny did not have to go but chose to. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think you meant 2/7/13 but it is hard to tell with you canadian folks... :P

http://www.hockeybuz...01#.UROsgR1JMuc

PREVIEW 6:45 AM

Looking for their third straight win, the Philadelphia Flyers (4-6-0) host the Florida Panthers (3-5-1) tonight at the Wells Fargo Center. The game starts at 7 p.m. and will be televised locally on Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia.

This is the second of three meetings between the teams this season. On Jan. 26 in Sunrise, Fla., Philly pummeled the Panthers by a 7-1 count. Matt Read scored a hat trick, while the Flyers got single goals from Wayne Simmonds, Tye McGinn, Ruslan Fedotenko and defenseman Luke Schenn. Ilya Bryzgalov made 27 saves for the victory.

At the time, the defending Southeast Division champion Panthers were missing their entire top line due to injury. Subsequently, the likes of Stephen Weiss and ex-Flyer Kris Versteeg returned to Kevin Dineen's lineup. The Panthers are 2-0-1 in their last three games but are coming off a 3-2 overtime loss to Winnipeg.

The Flyers put forth a strong 60-minute effort in Tuesday's 2-1 win over Tampa Bay. Tonight, they need to guard against overconfidence when facing a club whom they blew out in the first game and defeated in three of four meetings last year.

Philly has been missing some key personnel from the lineup -- Scott Hartnell (foot), Wayne Simmonds (concussion) and Andrej Meszaros (shoulder) -- and goals have been hard to come by in most games. The Flyers have scored two or fewer goals in eight of the 10 games this season.

The Flyers' special teams cost the club several games in the first couple weeks of the regular season. They've played better on both the power play and penalty kill the last couple games, but that trend can just as easily take a negative turn again if the club does not stay focused.

On a game-in and game-out basis thus far in the season, Ilya Bryzgalov has been among the Flyers' best players. It would be a boon if he could get a little more goal support to work with, but he's given the team a chance to win even on nights where there have been numerous breakdowns in front of him.

Simmonds has returned to practice. There is at least an outside chance that he will play tonight but it is more likely that the team errs on the side on caution. In that event, barring a setback, he is a good bet to play on Saturday afternoon against Carolina.

The Flyers have reportedly agreed to a one-year contract extension with Kimmo Timonen. Due to the back-diving structure of his soon-to-expire seven-year contract, Timonen's salary will double next season from the prorated $3 million he's making in 2012-13. However, his cap hit will decrease slightly to $6 million.

Although coming off a stellar game against Tampa Bay, the 38-year-old four-time NHL All-Star has appeared at times this season to have lost a step. Even so, he still remains the single most important member of the Philadelphia blueline.

Timonen would have been the top remaining potential unrestricted free agent defenseman on the market this July, which means his open market value would have been in line with the money he'll get next year from the Flyers. Beyond Timonen, the top available names would be the likes of Sergei Gonchar, Ron Hainsey, Lubomir Visnovsky, Mark Streit, Ryan Whitney and defensive defenseman Robyn Regehr. None of those players have Timonen's two-way ability.

Because Timonen's extension is only for one year, the NHL's over-35 rules will not apply to the new deal. Additionally, his price tag was NOT going to decrease by a penny between now and July (and there's no such thing as a hometown discount anymore in the league, especially after two lockouts).

PROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

15 Tye McGinn - 28 Claude Giroux - 48 Danny Briere

24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 9 Mike Knuble

36 Zac Rinaldo- 10 Brayden Schenn - 93 Jakub Voracek

26 Ruslan Fedotenko - 25 Max Talbot - 32 Tom Sestito

44 Kimmo Timonen - 22 Luke Schenn

5 Braydon Coburn - 27 Bruno Gervais

8 Nicklas Grossmann - 3 Kurtis Foster

30 Ilya Bryzgalov

[49 Michael Leighton]

Panthers

14 Tomas Fleischmann - 9 Stephen Weiss - 32 Kris Versteeg

11 Jonathan Huberdeau - 50 Drew Shore - 88 Peter Mueller

82 Tomas Kopecky - 57 Marcel Goc - 27 Alexei Kovalev

18 Shawn Matthias - 25 Jerred Smithson - 22 George Parros

17 Filip Kuba - 51 Brian Campbell

7 Dmitry Kulikov - 43 Mike Weaver

4 Keaton Ellerby - 23 Tyson Strachan

30 Scott Clemmensen / 60 Jose Theodore

Is Timmo worth $6M?

special teams (PP) seem to be especially missing Simmonds and Hartnell.

McGinn seems to be setting up pretty good down low screens in front of the goalie but the outside guys are not getting shots through or getting freed enough to shoot. Bryz had an average game and not a great one= lost point. This was a competing team this time from Florida. Their defense and aggressive forecheck limited the Flyers good chances.

That was the most boring game I've seen this year.

And Giroux has looked pedestrian in almost every game this year with maybe one or two exceptions. I think it's less a reflection on him than it is the rather mediocre players he's paired with. I like McGinn, but he doesn't belong on the top line, let alone the top PP. His board work is weak and more often than not loses the puck or kills the play. And Briere on G's line just isn't working either. Briere doesn't do much of anything when he's not sneaking in behind the defense and scoring.

Without Hartnell and Simmonds, there is no sandpaper other than Rinaldo.

Yup, DD/MM/YY, which is the *right* way to express a date

Do you say "I'm going to the game on February 7th" or "I'm going to the game on the 7th of February"? The latter sounds a bit pretentious. Which is OK if you have catered box seats, of course.

Do you say "I'm going to the game on February 7th" or "I'm going to the game on the 7th of February"? The latter sounds a bit pretentious. Which is OK if you have catered box seats, of course.

To be honest, about half and half, leaning more towards the 7th of February. Maybe it sounds pretentious to you because you don't hear it often. But it has more to do with the fact that we use the metric system (mostly) and that date format is the international standard. It also sounds natural to express the date that way in French. YOu would never do the reverse.

It's so bizarre... I rarely use metric measures for cooking. It's always 1/4 cup, 1/2 tbsp etc, and not 30 g, 200 ml, etc. Well, that's not true... I do use ml often enough, but rarely grams. Same for height and weight of a person... we mostly use inches and pounds. But everything else is metric.

That pretty much sums up Canada in a nutshell. European heritage, strong influence from the US, leaves us in the middle with no clear gumption of our own.

I don't think Giroux is looking pedestrian as much as focusing on a different element of his game, successfully. He was getting killed on this forum two weeks ago about faceoffs, and this past week it feels like he's winning 75% of them. He's probably trying to keep any shots from going near Bryz instead of putting his own on the other net.

I wonder if Parros will try to tune up Zac.....If the rumors about teams putting a target on his back are true. Funny how everybody forgets how it was Crombeen who went after Giroux that started the fracas. Lecavier/Schenn was 2 equal (size) guys and Vinny did not have to go but chose to. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think you meant 2/7/13 but it is hard to tell with you canadian folks... :P

The Lights sports review reported that Crombeen only harassed Giroux in retaliation for Rinaldo harassing one if their stars. I forget who they said though.

Another point .. Your power play is seriously missing a QB at the point. A lot of the stars that made Timonen look acceptable last year were on the PP, and reinforced my points against him. How much did Carle play on the PP last year? And obviously Jagr has always excelled at PP.

The Lights sports review reported that Crombeen only harassed Giroux in retaliation for Rinaldo harassing one if their stars. I forget who they said though.

And Crombeen went after Zac to drop the gloves. I am going to go with he is not the sharpest crayon in the box..........and after the last bout probably a few iq points lower too.....

Edited by flyerrod
  • Like 1

It was on television when I was at work so I dunno if that's online somewhere or not. I just remember them showing clips of Crombeen harassing Giroux and saying as much. I have to assume it was pure speculation at this point, as I've searched for any references online about it and can only find Crombeen slashing at Giroux's wrists. Which obviously deserves being addressed, by Rinaldo, Sestito... anybody really.

• Like 1