Derek mathers

Guest baba booey

@baba booey Welcome to the board, glad you finally posted!

Mathers is a tough customer, but I'm thinking he's a *real* longshot to ever make the team. He's a Right Wing (thought he started as a d-man, not to sure there)...who does not score at the OHL level....so less offense at the pro level....he better be super tough and skate like the wind (and I don't think he is an elite skater by any means). If there is a team where he can stick, it's the Flyers, but guys like Sestiso, who has already shown he has decent hands AND can fight, would block his way, at least the way I see it.

• Like 1

@baba booey Welcome to the board, glad you finally posted!

Mathers is a tough customer, but I'm thinking he's a *real* longshot to ever make the team. He's a Right Wing (thought he started as a d-man, not to sure there)...who does not score at the OHL level....so less offense at the pro level....he better be super tough and skate like the wind (and I don't think he is an elite skater by any means). If there is a team where he can stick, it's the Flyers, but guys like Sestiso, who has already shown he has decent hands AND can fight, would block his way, at least the way I see it.

He's going to be an AHL enforcer, something like a Steve MacIntyre.

i think he will make the team. we are paying jody shelley to do nothing, why not bring along mathers. i followed him for two years: he is a boy destroying men. he is a true heavyweight.

i was actually hoping the flyers would bring him up for the pens series last year - he would have kept the peace.

Edited by caluso

Hey everyone

Been coming here for a long time and this is my first post.but I saw this guy and he is a beast u guys have to check him out I just heard of him on hockey day Canada on my ci package I saw some of his fights on hockeyfights...

Ok, so where is that great fight link?

Holy Jumpin!! There are 63 of his fights on that link. Does Mathers do anything besides fight?

That's his job. Was a defensemen but switched him to RW. Stupid rule changes about fighting in the OHL pretty much will push him out of the league

Mathers is arguably the toughest guy in the "O". He is a legitimate heavyweight who with experience could evolve into an NHL top 5. Fight style kind of reminds me of Tony Twist and more recently, Colton Orr. The problem is that Bettman has all but made the strictly enforcer extinct in the NHL nowadays.

He had some time in the AHL and I would work with him in the A to work on his skating, hands and defense. If it was strictly for fighting he would be a Flyer someday but with him lacking a lot of basic skill sets I see career AHL with the occasional callup to the Flyers.

That being said, as far as fighting goes, he is a much better fighter than wasted 3rd round draft pick Garrett Klotz.

• 3 weeks later...

@Podein25 Now comes all the crap that comes with this weak rule, other teams exploiting and antagonizing players with 8 or 9 fights, in an obvious attempt to rid an opposing team of hsi services. I can see a LOT of division rivals emloying this tactic.

@Podein25 My gut says this rule was put in to assure NCAA elegible players (AND their parents) that the CHL is safe and takes measures to protect players from unnecessary rough stuff. The few games I went to this year were boring and the fans were super tame....no fights to lift fans out of their seats! Might have lowered the CHL's insurance premiums also....prety sad reason to implement rules IMHO. This smells like the CHL trying to jockey for position with NCAA players if you ask me.

The few games I went to this year were boring and the fans were super tame....no fights to lift fans out of their seats!

Clearly you have to start more fights in the stands themselves! And you call yourself a Flyer fan!

@Podein25 Oh, I have seen my fair share of that. Mike Bullard climbed into the stands to crack me in the head with his stick, Dale Hunter has left the bench, climbed up in the stands to chastize me...Barry Tobodobung threw his glove at me....ha ha...good times!!