Cherry defends Rinaldo

Guest DAXflyer

@Polaris922 Really, what is bushleague to me is sending out a hack like Crombeen out after Grioux in not one but two straight games. You are basically messing with the Flyers entire season there. Almost anything that happens after that is justifiable. This league smells weakness like a shark smells blood, you have to respond to that kinda garbage or pay the price....your star can and will get taken out. The Flyers entire season depends on a healthy Giroux, so that is really what you are protecting, the ability to be compitive for the rest of the year.

Plus, I honestly believe Zac didn't know what was really going on, he was swinging wild, his head or eyes were not set because of that...so no real chance to know what was really going on. Besides, he was genuinely concerned about whether he hit him when he was down...he made a great effort to tell everyone involved it was not intentional...I believed him. Kid is flat out crazy, but has morals and an ethical code of some sort.

@Polaris922 Really, what is bushleague to me is sending out a hack like Crombeen out after Grioux in not one but two straight games. You are basically messing with the Flyers entire season there. Almost anything that happens after that is justifiable. This league smells weakness like a shark smells blood, you have to respond to that kinda garbage or pay the price....your star can and will get taken out. The Flyers entire season depends on a healthy Giroux, so that is really what you are protecting, the ability to be compitive for the rest of the year.

Plus, I honestly believe Zac didn't know what was really going on, he was swinging wild, his head or eyes were not set because of that...so no real chance to know what was really going on. Besides, he was genuinely concerned about whether he hit him when he was down...he made a great effort to tell everyone involved it was not intentional...I believed him. Kid is flat out crazy, but has morals and an ethical code of some sort.

I won't argue Crombeen deserved a butt kicking, and I do think RInaldo was unaware he was OUT out.. I think he did the right thing. BUT I also think that if he had known he was out and continued throwing punches (which is not the case) he should be banned for life. I don't think Crombeen was trying to injure Giroux so much as trying to get him off his game. Let's face it, if he were trying to injure him, break his wrist, or whatever... he had plenty of opportunity. He was harassing him and got punched out for it. Fair enough.

ANY player that tried to inure another player when they're knocked out deserved to be charged criminally and banned for life. There is no room in the sport for that kind of scumbag.

@Polaris922 Well, we differ a bit there, I don't believe hockey should be subject to the court system. Unless it involves loss of life, let the league handle it.

Honestly, if it rises to the level of pummelling a defenseless man crumpled on the ice, I think the League turns it over to the authorities.

Wearing a pair of skates to play a game doesn't exempt you from responsibility for your actions. And a fine and a few game suspension is not "responsibility."

@radoran Well, we differ there, even the criminal act Bertuzzi pulled should have been handled from within. Keep the game out of the courts unless a death occurs.

So someone deliberately cuts someone open with a skate? No worries. Nothing to see here. Move along please. Fine and suspend.

A guy two hand slashes another player to the head with a stick? No worries. Nothing to see here. Move along please. Fine and suspend.

Bertuzzi deliberately ended someone's career. Intent? Well, he certainly intended to assault him from behind with no warning and cause grievous bodily injury. On a hard ice surface.

And he's still in the game.

I don't think "simple assault" needs government interrvention. Deliberate attempts at grievous bodily harm are another thing entirely.

Fine and expel.

@radoran I agree with most of what you are saying, but allowing the police/courts into our game is a slipperly slope IMHO.

If Bertuzzi was banned for life, I might agree with you.

If the NHL was capable of consistent application of policy, I might agree with you.

For those two reasons, for starters, I don't. :)

I agree Rad, deliberate intent to injure should lead to suspension at least equal the amount of time the injured party is out of the game. If the injuree is forced to retire, lifetime ban. Or maybe allowed back with special dispensation, but the perp splits all future earnings realted to Hockey with his victim.

Did you see his elbow to the head in the Devils game on the back half of their home and home.

No? I was at the game but there was no elbow seen or shown. Nothing on TV either unless I was absent for it. Nothing online about it and no penalty. Got video?

No? I was at the game but there was no elbow seen or shown. Nothing on TV either unless I was absent for it. Nothing online about it and no penalty. Got video?

Shockingly enough there was no penalty. He came up high on a Devil and brought his elbow through. It was a very questionable hit.

There was no penalty of course. Haven't you heard? Cooke is a changed man.

I'll look for video on it however.

Shockingly enough there was no penalty. He came up high on a Devil and brought his elbow through. It was a very questionable hit.

There was no penalty of course. Haven't you heard? Cooke is a changed man.

I'll look for video on it however.

I remember a hit along the glass against Volchenkov where both brought arms up and both went to the ice but the review showed no contact above the shoulders. That's the only hit I can think of.

And as for the shockingly no penalty, Cooke gets reamed like Rinaldo does so if it had been questionable and seen it would've been called. He goes to the box for receiving punches.

Edited by Polaris922

I remember a hit along the glass against Volchenkov where both brought arms up and both went to the ice but the review showed no contact above the shoulders. That's the only hit I can think of.

And as for the shockingly no penalty, Cooke gets reamed like Rinaldo does so if it had been questionable and seen it would've been called. He goes to the box for receiving punches.

Thats the hit I was talking about. It wasn't an elbow outright, but he brought his hands up high on Volchenkov. Too bad they didn't knock eachother out.

@Phillygrump

@Polaris922

<<< Thats the hit I was talking about. It wasn't an elbow outright, but he brought his hands up high on Volchenkov. Too bad they didn't knock eachother out. >>>

So we go from "elbow to the head" to "it wasn't an elbow outright but he brought his hands up high". In other words, you're nit picking because it's Cooke. And people wonder why us Pens fans get so worked up when Flyers fans complain about bias. Maybe because y'all are guilty of it, too?

Let this one go, Grump. It was a pretty innocuous hit and a good no-call.

@Phillygrump

@Polaris922

<<< Thats the hit I was talking about. It wasn't an elbow outright, but he brought his hands up high on Volchenkov. Too bad they didn't knock eachother out. >>>

So we go from "elbow to the head" to "it wasn't an elbow outright but he brought his hands up high". In other words, you're nit picking because it's Cooke. And people wonder why us Pens fans get so worked up when Flyers fans complain about bias. Maybe because y'all are guilty of it, too?

Let this one go, Grump. It was a pretty innocuous hit and a good no-call.

I'm not nit picking. I'm just citing what I saw. He got his elbow up on the follow through. It looked like a hit that usually gets called a penalty. Yet mysteriously it wasn't this time. Somehow Cooke's reputation doesn't follow him around in questionable hits.

I'm not nit picking. I'm just citing what I saw. He got his elbow up on the follow through. It looked like a hit that usually gets called a penalty. Yet mysteriously it wasn't this time. Somehow Cooke's reputation doesn't follow him around in questionable hits.

"Usually" isn't the same as always. Kinda like when he kicked Ryan Carter? Or punched Tyler Kennedy? Those "usually" result in penalties, too. Rinaldo's reputation really hurt him there.

Re: Cooke/Volchenkov. Both of their arms came up. I didn't see any elbow make contact with the head. Again - a good no call. But of course if it's Cooke....

I was watching this game live, saw the hit and multiple replays of it. IMO, this is a case of the hit being 'clean', and the elbow coming up after the initial contact. Cooke hit the A-train with his shoulder, and the resulting impact brings his arm/elbow up. The primary point of impact is not the point of Cooke's elbow.

And WTF is wrong with me..I just defended Matt Cooke. :ph34r:

I was watching this game live, saw the hit and multiple replays of it. IMO, this is a case of the hit being 'clean', and the elbow coming up after the initial contact. Cooke hit the A-train with his shoulder, and the resulting impact brings his arm/elbow up. The primary point of impact is not the point of Cooke's elbow.

And WTF is wrong with me..I just defended Matt Cooke. :ph34r:

Feels kinda dirty, eh? :blink:

"Usually" isn't the same as always. Kinda like when he kicked Ryan Carter? Or punched Tyler Kennedy? Those "usually" result in penalties, too. Rinaldo's reputation really hurt him there.

Re: Cooke/Volchenkov. Both of their arms came up. I didn't see any elbow make contact with the head. Again - a good no call. But of course if it's Cooke....

I'm not comparing Cooke and Rinaldo. I know Rinaldo gets away with his fair share as well, but everyone wants to say Cooke is this reformed player and that just isn't the case. Yet you Penguins fans seem to be the only ones who disagree.

Matt Cooke is a dirty player through and through. Ask Ryan McDonough or Marc Savard if you don't believe me. Even though I doubt they'd remember the incidents. But now he's reformed and doesn't have this dirty player reputation anymore? Close calls and he gets the benefit of the doubt now?

I don't advocate penalizing a guy based on his reputation. I hate it in fact. I'm just saying that if this is how the league goes now how can you single out Rinaldo (who is not one of the worst) when its close, but one of the worst in the league (Cooke) gets a clean slate.

Just start penalizing players based on what they did on the ice and have consistent supplemental discipline and lets forget about all this reputation stuff.

@Phillygrump

@B21

@DaGreatGazoo

I agree the hit was clean. And Gaz sometimes it's hard doing the right thing huh? Lol.

Ok. So my question is why doesn't Cooke's reputation follow him around this league like other guy's reputations do? At first glance that hit looked at the very least borderline. Why does a guy like Cooke with his reputation get the benefit of the doubt but other guys in this league are punished for theirs?

This is the only point I'm trying to make.