How do the devils do it?

Flockeyhockey

They lose all of these guys and they win win and win.

There have been 2 constants during their reign of terror, Martin Brodeur and Lou Lamerello. It is some combo of the 2 of them that is causing all of this. Lou keeps finding players and coaches who are willing to play his annoying defensive system and when there are screw ups with the system Brodeur is there to cover up the mistakes.

I am sure this is a bit of an oversimplification but in my opinion this is the basic formula with some variables along the way,

They have always had the system in place and succeeded with it. I thought it would be longer than it has that they would be contenders, since Stevens and Neidermayer retired, but here they are. They believe in defense and goaltending being what really matters. Now we finally have a goalie in Bryz, as much as everybody wants to pick on him, who is capable of stealing a game or two. They are also smart enough in management to get hungry players who want to win, and are willing to sacrifice numbers for the good of the team. They got Kovalchuk to even buy into it, because he was so hungry to win after years in hockey purgatory, in Atlanta. Oh yeah, they still have Brodeur, who's still better than most goalies in the league. Amazing.

@FD19372 Spitfire biased aside, Henrique is a big reason why they are on this current roll. 4 game winners as a rookie, 3 game winners in last years playoffs (including 2 game 7 OT winners I might add), and just got his first game winner of this campaign over the weekend. Kid's a winner with a heart of a champion. If he's not captain of that team in 3 years, I'll eat my shorts. He was hurt in the early going when the Devs were playing respectable hockey, but his line with Elias and Clarkson has pushed them over the top, the whole team is playing great.

They have always had the system in place and succeeded with it. I thought it would be longer than it has that they would be contenders, since Stevens and Neidermayer retired, but here they are. They believe in defense and goaltending being what really matters. Now we finally have a goalie in Bryz, as much as everybody wants to pick on him, who is capable of stealing a game or two. They are also smart enough in management to get hungry players who want to win, and are willing to sacrifice numbers for the good of the team. They got Kovalchuk to even buy into it, because he was so hungry to win after years in hockey purgatory, in Atlanta. Oh yeah, they still have Brodeur, who's still better than most goalies in the league. Amazing.

There you go that is a start to the problem now.

Down the road in Philly their philosphy is the polar opposite!!!!

They are getting long in the tooth on the blueline and need help there and could use a back up in net so what do they do?????

Draft another center instead of the blueline help they need, to go along with the 80 centers they have waiting in the wing....sad!