Boy This Team Is Bad

BearOnIce

At what point is Holmgren held accountable?

The team has perpetual salary cap problems, no farm system (one of the worst in the NHL) and is horribly consrtucted: slow, immobile d-men and not enoiugh gritty, skill players up front.

The only way the Flyers will improve is for Holmgren to be relieved of his duties and replaced with a GM who values young talent and can / will build through the draft. Someone who doesn't dispense with young talent and draft picks for the "quick fix." I am tired of acquiring veterans who will keep us "competitive" at the expense of draft picks. If we have to suffer for a year or two, so be it, as long as we are accruing and developing a solid nucleus of young players.

And, by no means am I defending Lavy who i think is an over-rated coach, and also should be replaced. Lavy reminds me of Mike D'Antoni - run and gun with no defense.

• Like 1

@ Howie,

It's too bad, but I think you're right about Lavy. His run and gun system is exciting, but defense wins cups. My guess is if they go somewhere around 2-4 on this road trip, he might be gone.

I don't believe they are playing a run and gun style anymore. At one point this season they were playing a 1 -2 -2. The other team's commentator picked up on this. Nonetheless our glaring need is a puck moving defenseman. However our number 1 and 2 lines are not playing like it. Not a lot of teams are going to win if their top 2 lines play like the Flyers. G's line played the best when Read was on it. Subtract Read, and Briere, and they are nothing.

ugly stuff. and kurtis foster is FOR REAL brutal.

BRUTAL does not even begin to describe it. Another wonderful acquisition of our brilliant GM....

This team will not make the playoffs unless something drastic happens and happens soon. There is no flow, no unity, no chemistry.... NOTHING.

I think one of Homer's biggest offseason mistakes was underestimating Jagr's value to Giroux and the team. G was well on his way to becoming a star player, but Jagr helped put him over the top. Why a GM would not make more of an effort to re-sign the guy responsible for helping your young star emerge is beyond me.

Instead he preferred chasing pink elephants with offer sheets and 14 year contracts. He preferred all of that to taking care of his emerging young star.

• Like 4

I noticed several things. The defensive breakdowns are horrendous. That is not system nor player, rather fundamentals, i.e. coaching. Next, Giroux does not look like the face of the franchise. In fact, he out right sucks recently. He is playing small and getting treated as such. Briere is terrible as well, and don't give me the "he's awesome in the playoffs" malarkey because this team isn't going to sniff the playoffs at this point. Coburn is a bum now that he has to play big minutes. He makes lazy plays, he is slow and he has no shot. The only redeeming factor on this team is Wayne Simmonds. Outside of that, they are all garbage.

They have to make a move to get a mobile defenseman, not a big name, but a Matt Carle type guy. To do that the Flyers are going to have to give up assets. If you all are good with that, say good-bye Cooter (I hope mystery flu doesn't = mystery trade). If you are fine with the team stinking up the joint, but keeping its assets than watch with one eye open for the rest of the year.

Off_the_post is right, they are playing 1-2-2 right now because this D would really get smoked if they played the normal 2-1-2, or 2-2-1 system. I think this team is desperately missing Jagr. They need that now and bad.

I think one of Homer's biggest offseason mistakes was underestimating Jagr's value to Giroux and the team. G was well on his way to becoming a star player, but Jagr helped put him over the top. Why a GM would not make more of an effort to re-sign the guy responsible for helping your young star emerge is beyond me.

That's what gets me scratching my head too. Again, I can see he was planning to sign Parise and was trying to clear some space. But that was a HUGE gamble, and unsubstantiated one to say the least. He had no certainty whatsoever that Parise would have any desire to come and play here. So why not resign Jagr and *then* worry about making the cap work? It's not like resigning Jagr would break the bank. And.... AND.... he also lost JVR. How could he not foresee the lack of scoring? This is insane!

And when it was clear Parise was not coming and Jagr was already gone, just to save his face, and more as a checkmark, he goes out and signs Fedotenko, in his true fashion.

So in reality, Homer, albeit not deliberately, weaken the team tremendously – both defensively and offensively. He had a plan to sign Suter and Parise and sign Weber to an offer sheet, but had absolutely no Plan B. These were high-risk, gamble-ridden aspirations, and he cornered himself with no time to react.

This management is incompetent.

I think this team needs to be bad, they need some adversity to overcome. The offseason moves that did not pan out we're exacerbated by Hartnell's and Metzaros' injuries. Plus Gustaffsson's injury hurts our depth so we get a double dose of Gervais and Foster....I'd like to see how they play with those three guys back in the line up. A lot of what I'm reading here reeks of panic, "oh god our team is going to miss the playoffs". Ask yourself is it worth dealing good young players with potential for a stop gap and position of weakness so this flawed team makes the playoffs? I say no, let them suck, improve the team via free agency and then maybe a trade from a position of strength.

Back away from the ledge and trade machine boys.

• Like 2

At what point is Holmgren held accountable?

The team has perpetual salary cap problems, no farm system (one of the worst in the NHL) and is horribly consrtucted: slow, immobile d-men and not enoiugh gritty, skill players up front.

The only way the Flyers will improve is for Holmgren to be relieved of his duties and replaced with a GM who values young talent and can / will build through the draft. Someone who doesn't dispense with young talent and draft picks for the "quick fix." I am tired of acquiring veterans who will keep us "competitive" at the expense of draft picks. If we have to suffer for a year or two, so be it, as long as we are accruing and developing a solid nucleus of young players.

And, by no means am I defending Lavy who i think is an over-rated coach, and also should be replaced. Lavy reminds me of Mike D'Antoni - run and gun with no defense.

Remember some of the decisions came from Snider not Holmgren since he wants to win a championship so bad before he kicks the bucket. The Bryzgalov signing comes to mind. But who would you get to replace him, the only person I could see Snider going after would be former Flyer, Ron Hextall.

Edited by Lindbergh31

Homer could not trade or sign a depth d-man if his life depended on it. Time after time brutal choices lacking a vision of what the defense will be like as a group. Really starting to think he is not the man for the job. Sure, great promise with the Richards and Carter deals, but this guy has continually failed at filling out/rounding out the roster. Fedentenko is looking more and more like a bust on the 3/4 lines.....geez.

I think Feds is providing exacctly what was expected - a third line veteran presence.

If the top two lines weren't playing like rancid dingo's kidneys, Feds wouldn't be an issue.

That said, I don't think Homer has done much of anything of note and the "good deals" are more law of averages than anything else.

@Mad Dog

I wouldn't go that far. Let me refresh your memory:

"- Traded Michal Handzus to the Chicago Blackhawks for Kyle Calder

-Traded Kent Manderville to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Billy Tibbetts

-Traded Patrick Sharp and Eric Meloche to the Chicago Blackhawks for Matt Ellison and third round draft choice

-Traded Maxime Ouellet and first, second and third round draft choices(Martin Vagner, Maxime Daigneault and Derek Krestanovich) to the Washington Capitals for Adam Oates.

-Traded Vaclav Prospal, Pat Falloon and Dallas' previously acquired second round draft choice(Chris Bala) to the Ottawa Senators for Alexandre Daigle.

-Traded Dave Poulin to the Boston Bruins for Ken Linseman.

-Traded Brad McCrimmon to the Calgary Flames for first and third round draft choices.

-Traded Justin Williams to the Carolina Hurricanes for Danny Markov.

-Traded Rod Brind'Amour, Jean Marc Pelletier and a second round draft choice(Argis Saviels) to the Carolina Hurricanes for Keith Primeau and a fifth round draft choice-later transfered to the New York Islanders.

-Traded Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, two first round draft choices(Nolan Baumgartner & Jocelyn Thibault), a player to be named (Chris Simon) and $15 million cash to the Quebec Nordiques for the rights to Eric Lindros."

Thank you Jsaquella at hockeybuzz for making me visit the wayback machine to re-tread one of your posts. He did all the work, I cut and paste. Here is the original link to his write up: http://my.hockeybuzz...14&post_id=3298

Edited by Bertmega

@Bertmega

OK, you you made your point. :) And I am sure there are more stupid trades he made that are not even on the list (including getting Beezer when both Belfour and CuJo were available)...

And it's also trades he did *not* make... I vividly remember how one year (can't remember which year it was) at the trade deadline, the Devils signed Mogilny and Clarke signed Dean Stinking McAmmond. I believe, that year teh Devils actually won one of their numerous Cups... God I hated Clarke for just sitting idle that year and doing absolutely nothing when the cap was not even an issue.

Yeah, I guess he *was* terrible... Well, at least Clarke had enough character to resign when he realized he was not really good at this. I am not holding my breath Homer will do that.

Edited by Mad Dog

Another loss or two like this and our friend Lavy will be scapegoated and released. This is not a coherent group. The defensive lapses are awful.

Best,

Howie

I still think Offense is missing. The first line is conspicuous by their absence. Giroux is an anomaly right now and I wonder why? Stands to reason if your offense is in their end the opponents probably won't score on you. JMO