Boy This Team Is Bad

BearOnIce

@ Howie,

It's too bad, but I think you're right about Lavy. His run and gun system is exciting, but defense wins cups. My guess is if they go somewhere around 2-4 on this road trip, he might be gone.

No Snider, Clarke, Holmgren or Lavy. House cleaning.

It's laughable that people want Jagr back...

I don't think anyone wanted him to leave in the first place. He added size to Giroux's wing, a work ethic that seems to be missing from this team and heart that is definitely missing from this team. I can't blame Jagr for moving on when the Flyers considered him only as a backup plan, but that mistake on the Flyers' front office is immensely evident right now.

His 11 points would be leading the Flyers right now...

• Like 1

I don't think anyone wanted him to leave in the first place. He added size to Giroux's wing, a work ethic that seems to be missing from this team and heart that is definitely missing from this team. I can't blame Jagr for moving on when the Flyers considered him only as a backup plan, but that mistake on the Flyers' front office is immensely evident right now.

His 11 points would be leading the Flyers right now...

Don't quote me out of context please. The rest of that sentence is relevant. I was illustrating how stupid some complainers come across when they want a youth movement, stop signing old guys especially for their actual fair market value, etc etc all at once.

"I want player W back, but only at X for Y years for a cap hit of Z." Happens here all the time.

For the record again, I was pro Carle, pro Jagr, lukewarm Parise, anti Suter, and pro Weber. Also pro retaining the younger players, letting older guys go as the youth develops and earns a better contract down the line. I'd buyout Bryz and Briere to afford guys who earn their pay regularly, and I think everyone loves Briere in the playoffs. I was fine with developing Bobrovsky, and platooning with Boosh. I'm fine with paying Timonen his 6, because that's the reality of the market at this point in time.

Remember, people wanted Jagr back, but only for steep discounts.

@doom88

I thought we could get Jagr for 3 with the hometown discount. He was valuable but his age caught up with him in the playoffs, I thought that could be the bargaining chip to keep his cost down.

Yeah, but then listen to his list of positives on the forum after the season began. I get it as a fan, but why should he take less than he's worth? Fans tend to blow up one or two cons and pretend that it is fair to deduct value exclusively based on those points.

It's not a situation where the player wants to stay on the team that drafted him. Jagr worked hard and earned his contract.

• Like 2

Yeah, but then listen to his list of positives on the forum after the season began. I get it as a fan, but why should he take less than he's worth? Fans tend to blow up one or two cons and pretend that it is fair to deduct value exclusively based on those points.

It's not a situation where the player wants to stay on the team that drafted him. Jagr worked hard and earned his contract.

I think Dallas overpaid. I also think they will wind up buying a draft pick with that overpayment at the trade deadline.

Flyers could have had Jagr for less than he got in Dallas if they had locked him up before free agency. i would not have minded a one year $3.5M or so deal. Homer decided to leave him hanging and he took a deal while Homer was still playing Parise Squares.

I think along with Giroux, that Voracek is missing his idol, mentor and role model.

• Like 2

Remember, people wanted Jagr back, but only for steep discounts.

All of what you said.

But I do find it funny that nearly everyone wanted Jagr back back nearly no one wanted him in the first place--and a bunch were supposedly going to quit being Flyers fans when they signed him. Now they want to kvetch because they didn't bring him back.

@ruxpin The jammester wanted Jagr to start out, so I'm one of the few that can legitimately bitch about him being gone. Not overly upset he is gone though. He would be taking ice time away from a youngster probably, and this team could have 5 more Jagr's and not win the cup. He's kinda that missing piece teams add when they are close....which is why I was puzzled when the Stars upped the cash. I was kinda half expecting Jagr to get dealt at this years trade deadline, but suprisingly enough, the Stars behind the strong tending of Lehtonen (seems like just yesterday we called him Letfourin, huh?) might be making a run of thier own, so maybe Jagr stays put....but if they do fall out of it, I'd say Jagr is a big name at the trade deadline. Jagr would look good in the Rangers top 6...who knows?

• Like 1

The jammester wanted Jagr to start out, so I'm one of the few that can legitimately bitch about him being gone

This is quite true.

I think for the first five minutes after the news I was a little "wtf?" I was a little concerned about the Jagr I perceived in washington and NYR looking from the outside in. But when I read all the vitriol on silly.com I started thinking it wasn't such a bad idea. I can't say I'm among the "I wanted him from the get go" crowd. It was immediately after (and before camp), but I wasn't right at the start and before they signed him I hadn't even considered the possibility.

@ruxpin "Do you think he'd go back there?"

Probably not, a more likely destination might be the Devils. They could use some scoring depth and Henrique with Jagr and Kovy would be a wicked line. Old man Lou is probably to tight fisted to pay the kings randsom the Stars could demand though.

There IS no hometown discount with Jagr.

I completely agree with you on that. However, I do think that the deciding factor for Jagr was "having a contract."

If the Flyers had stepped up and offered a contract, I firmly believe he would have signed it - and for less than he got in Dallas.

Not a "hometown" discount, but a "guaranteed money" discount.

Just look at how he flailed around the league desperate to find someone to give him money, and then grabbed the Stars when they ponied up the bucks.

• Like 1