Shelly to IR..Harry Z recalled

pilldoc

has shelly even played a game??? hip injur from riding the bench...good grief.....

http://flyers.nhl.co...vid=DL|PHI|home

FEBRUARY 12

3:25 p.m.

HARRY Z ON HIS WAY

via press release from the Philadelphia Flyers:

The club has recalled RW Harry Zolnierczyk from their American Hockey League affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

Zolnierczyk will be available for the Flyers’ game in Winnipeg tonight and will wear #12.

Zolnierczyk has spent the entire 2012-13 season with Adirondack, where he has nine goals and eight assists for 17 points in 46 games. He appeared in 37 games for the Flyers a year ago, recording three goals and three assists.

He signed with the Flyers as a free agent on March 8, 2011 following a four-year career at Brown University.

SHELLEY TO IR

Holmgren also announced that Jody Shelley has been placed on injured reserve due to a hip injury.

Edited by pilldoc

Homer:

Maybe they sat him down and said look dude "we have no choice but to waive you in the coming days or *wink wink* we can get whatever my even be SLIGHTLY bothering you and put you on IR and squirrel you away to save you the embarrasment and get you ready for where ever you may land next year, especially since you have been a good teammate." "What say you Jody?" "You game?"

Jody:

"Yeah Homer that sounds good because i really wan to be a part of this club somehow some way."

Homer:

"Good. Done then"

Edited by OccamsRazor

Harry Z looked very good in limited minutes last night in the 'Peg.

Still, I wonder why he got the call-up and not Welly, who looked every bit as good in the games he had. Something going on with Welly that we're not aware of. Must get @jammer2 to get the scoop from the Wellwood camp in Windsor.

Thanks! I guess now the idea is to see if he does anything with it? You'd think he'd perform better in the AHL. Or is he considered a 3rd or 4th line grinder type?

He had a few flashes last season. He did has a nice breakaway the other night but failed to convert.

Definitely more of an energy player in the NHL.

• Like 1

@radoran I'm of the opinion the Flyers are (in general) having trouble establishing a forecheck. If they run Harry Z and Welly on a line, they will win the puck battles over the course of a game. Or, even play them both and put them on seperate lines, it would still help chase down the puck.....and address a real problem. I know goals are not surplus right now, but surely they can put 2 solid forecheckers in and let the others score. Even better, Harry z, Welly and Rinaldo....what an energy line that would be!!

Edited by jammer2

@Polaris922

wellwood and Zolnierczyk are probably the two fastest skaters in the organization, the issue with them is their hands and with Wellwood, his attitude, actually last year Harry Z had a bit of a 'tude as well.

jammer claims Eric Wellwood is the best Jr penalty killer he's ever seen, so he must be having some maturity issues to not crack the line up this year.

@Polaris922

wellwood and Zolnierczyk are probably the two fastest skaters in the organization, the issue with them is their hands and with Wellwood, his attitude, actually last year Harry Z had a bit of a 'tude as well.

jammer claims Eric Wellwood is the best Jr penalty killer he's ever seen, so he must be having some maturity issues to not crack the line up this year.

• Like 1

What's the info on Z anyway? His AHL stats aren't anything outstanding, so what's his big strength supposed to be?

Other than speed, you could say Harry Z has hockey smarts, leadership qualities and grit I guess. He was captain of his NCAA team in his final year at Brown where he also had 128 PIMs in just 30 GP and was the Ivy league MVP. So he must be smart (all-Academic). Bit of an odd path to pro hockey. From Toronto but played Tier 2 in BC, then to an Ivy league school.

• Like 1

@mojo1917 A lot of Welly's success on the PK was being so wicked fast in the OHL. If his speed stands out at the NHL level, you can only imagine the mis-match at the OHL level. Seemed like he was just wishing himself to the puck....and WHAM, he had it or seperated the guy from the puck. The speed advantage is obviously not being to be so great in the NHL, (although I'd put him in the top 5% for pure speed at the NHL level) and it's not so easy to seperate guys from the puck in the bigs. Still, his instincts are a great gift, he knows where the puck carrier is going to go in a panic, and that alone should have him on the pk in the pros. He did nothing to play himself off this team, I hope this attitude stuff is not true.

The Flyers' lack of sustained forecheck starts in their own zone I think. Not only Foster and Schenn but all our D-men have had a hard time connecting with an outlet pass because the forwards are stranding them too often. Or they'll over-correct and 2 or all 3 forwards will circle back and clog up the ice, making breakouts even harder. Bryzgalov can help or hurt the case too depending on his rebound control but as long as he makes the stop we've got a chance to skate up as a unit.

It hasn't been all bad. There have been some good games when the Flyers played smart through all 3 zones (vs Rangers, TB at Philly, Jets) - other games not so much (TB at TB, Leafs, Pens, the lowly Caps). Naturally the better teams exploit the hell out of those huge gaps, forcing turnovers and make the Flyers chase the play all night .

Tomorrow against the Devs the Flyers need to pay better attention and stick to their assignments once we gain control. Without Carle, Pronger, Mez...the guys that can skate the puck up and out of danger by themselves are few and far between back there.

[edit: A bit of good news = Mez is back at practice and so is Hartnell.]

Edited by canoli

I agree, I don't think you can overstate the case that the Flyers miss Hartnell ...even strength and especially on the PP. Likewise I don't think you can overstate how much Giroux needs him on his line - or somebody just like him.

Mez is just as critical because he's one of the few Flyers' D-men who, when he joins the rush is a legit offensive weapon. The opponents have to respect that and so the dynamics of the game - everything from puck-possession time to scoring chances - can potentially change in favor of the Flyers when he's in the lineup.

The Flyers really miss these guys: once they're back I think it'll be even more obvious than it is now.

• Like 2