Jets' Kane says criticism toward him is racially motivated

hf101

Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane says in a soon-to-be published interview that part of the criticism he receives is racially motivated.

In a story set to be released in the Mar. 4 issue of The Hockey News, the 21-year-old said, "I think a good portion of (criticism) is because I'm black and I'm not afraid to say that."

Kane was criticized most famously for a Twitter photo of him in Las Vegas holding stacks of money to his ear like a telephone.

That hasn't been the only thing the former fourth-overall pick has been criticized for in hockey-mad Winnipeg however.

"It's just the way I'm wired," Kane told Ken Campbell of The Hockey News. "Maybe my parents loved me the proper way, so I love myself."

He acknowledged that not all of the criticism has racial tones.

"I don't feel like a victim and I don't want to be perceived as one," he said.

When contacted by CTV in Winnipeg, a Jets spokesperson only said that they are aware of the comments Kane made to The Hockey News.

Kane broke out last season with 30 goals for the Jets in his third NHL campaign. This year he has three goals and six assists in 12 games.

Start the trade rumors.

As I said in the Sbox... the guy attracts a lot of this criticism himself. Anyone who's as cocky and showboaty as this guy, is going to attract a lot of attention. Some positive, a lot negative. Tweeting pics of yourself with large stacks of money and shaving 'cash money millionaire' into your hair is not going to bring you close to a blue collar/working class city like Winnipeg.

I'm sure some of the criticism is racially motivated... there's a lot of idiots out there. But I'm fairly confident that his behaviour has not helped himself.

• Like 2

This is a case of know your audience, it's not like he's playing in an affluent city like Toronto or Montreal, hell even the ATL where he started has tons more acceptance of behavior like that. the 'Peg is far more US midwestern conservative in terms of values. @fishbulb hit it right on the head for me.

@fishbulb

<<< Tweeting pics of yourself with large stacks of money and shaving 'cash money millionaire' into your hair is not going to bring you close to a blue collar/working class city like Winnipeg. >>>

Especially when done during a lock out. Not smart.

Or, who the F cares what he does on his own time. Twitter, Facebook, etc are invading these guys' privacy. Fans want 24/7 access, and then some. If Evander Kane, or ANY other player, wants to act like a moron on his own time - fine. At least he's doing legal activities. I'll add, if it was another guy doing something rednecked, no one would care. Hmmm.

I'm perfectly happy with players taking care of themselves, attending practices, listening to coaches, being good teammates, and showing up on game day with full effort. Let them be themselves on their own time.

He wasn't in the 'peg, or even Canada. Sheesh.

@doom88

Twitter , Facebook and other social media are voluntary if a person wants privacy, don't start an account. If EK is going to put himself out there in that manner then he should not be surprised when haters hate.

He's a young guy doing young guy things , young guys unless they are super mature don't often think about a larger picture.

He needs to get over himself.

@mojo1917

He is acting just like PK Subban..................I say that not because he is black but because he thinks his $hit does not stink. Some of the things he does and PUTS OUT OVER THE MEDIA of his own accord, reek of ignorance. Winnipeg management has to handle it with kid gloves or Kane WILL play the race card. Winnipeg Management is in a seriously unenviable position. For any education/castigation/discipline to work, it is going to have to come from his team mates. I would venture to say the same for Subban but he ignores his team mates........

@flyerrod A 10 year old would know not to flash a wad of bills on a Vegas balcony....not when you collect your paycheque from a blue collar working class town like the Peg. Stupid.

How much do you think Kane knows about Winnipeg? He's from Vancouver, played Junior in Vancouver and then was in Atlanta.

I'd say he dosn't know much about a backwater town in Canadian flyover country ;)

That said... It would not surprise me in the least if Kane's complexion *added* to the problem you mention.

Because if Sidney Crosby was playing in the Peg and did the same thing on a Vegas balcony, I'll wager the reactions would be at the very least a *little* different...

How much do you think Kane knows about Winnipeg? He's from Vancouver

Hard to say I guess. And hard to say how bright he is. Not very, by many accounts. But being Canadian he would know a little bit about Winnipeg. Plus playing in the MTS Centre, which is downtown, for two years would give even an idiot some idea of the kind of town it is. One of things to know about Winnipeg is that it has plenty of "brown-skinned"/"yellow-skinned" people: Aboriginals, East Indian, Filipino, Middle Eastern, African/Carribean etc, etc, because of Manitoba's aggressive immigration strategy. Kane would know that too, by looking in the crowd every night.

So it's a bit of an odd assertion on his part.

He's just starting his second year in Winnipeg. Has played all of one season there. That's 41 games plus preseason.

How much time do you think he spent in the Peg otherwise? How about Jokinen? Byfuglien? Burmistrov? Pavelec?

And the point that if Crosby did the same thing, the reaction would be different, certainly remains.

I am not tagging denizens of Winnipeg as unreconstructed racists, but if there are jackholes in Europe making racist comments and there are jackholes in America, I'll wager there are a few in the Peg, too. And all they need is the slightest of excuses.

I am not tagging denizens of Winnipeg as unreconstructed racists, but if there are jackholes in Europe making racist comments and there are jackholes in America, I'll wager there are a few in the Peg, too. And all they need is the slightest of excuses.

Hey man, I don't disagree. In fact, some of those jackholes are members of my family and friends :)

I just think Kane is playing the race card to deflect from other issues he has, which he should be legitimately criticized for.

Hey man, I don't disagree. In fact, some of those jackholes are members of my family and friends :)

I just think Kane is playing the race card to deflect from other issues he has, which he should be legitimately criticized for.

Oh, no doubt. I don't think he's free of criticism. Multimillionaires in their early 20s do stupid things...

He's still got 12 points in 15 games after scoring 30 goals last season and is under contract for the next six years.

Both sides might want to work on this.

• Like 1