Cooke gets 10 minutes for taking 3 punches

Polaris922

Ok so Cooke rode Karlsson into the boards on a clean hit. Cooke's skate comes up as they jostle into the boards and appears to cut the back of Karlsson's calf. No penalty as its a clear case of incidentals, much as Subban's skate slicing Staal's foot was deemed.

Chris Neil waits till 2 minutes left in the game then goes after Cooke. Cooke takes three decent punches to the chin with both having gloves on, and falls down. No real fight there, just Neil trying to make a point or whatever. Nobody bloodied or even hurt.

Neil gets a double minor roughing and a ten misconduct. Cooke gets a ten misconduct.

Just posting this to reinforce that Rinaldo is not the only one. ;).

You serious hf? Or just giving him a hard time? I don't see anyway how they can discipline him for this. It's not like it's a kick, or he stomped, etc. Seems just like a freak thing. Yeah, of course, it's that ****head Cooke, but do you really think he 'tried' to do that??

• Like 2

@Polaris922

Forget Chris Neil. There are going to be calls for Cooke's head on a platter now. Get ready for....

"He intentionally tried to cut Karlsson!" (It was 1,000% accidental.)

"This was way worse than Pronger!" (Not even close.)

"How can you even compare this to Subban/Staal!" (I hope they don't mean Subban's reckless leg whip.)

Cooke's well earned reputation means this incident will get a lot more scrutiny and attention in the media, blogs, forums, etc (which I have no problem with - Cooke made his bed yadda yadda yadda) but no way in H E DOUBLE L that was intentional.

• Like 1

You serious hf? Or just giving him a hard time? I don't see anyway how they can discipline him for this. It's not like it's a kick, or he stomped, etc. Seems just like a freak thing. Yeah, of course, it's that ****head Cooke, but do you really think he 'tried' to do that??

Some of each. But your right though, he won't be suspended because the league looks at the play to see if it is illegal. And it was not an illegal check, but what I don't like about the play is that Cooke did know his skate was up against Karlssons leg (top of boot) as he sliced downward. There wasn't an attempt made to lift his leg up an out over the boot.....just sayin.

Some of each. But your right though, he won't be suspended because the league looks at the play to see if it is illegal. And it was not an illegal check, but what I don't like about the play is that Cooke did know his skate was up against Karlssons leg (top of boot) as he sliced downward. There wasn't an attempt made to lift his leg up an out over the boot.....just sayin.

Hopefully this links works but Aaron Ward points out that the leg up in the air while making a check like that is a very routine hockey play. He points out two similar checks in just the first two minutes of Dallas/Calgary. He also goes on to point out how at least Cooke was off balance once they hit the boards (also common). A "hockey play" he calls it. Definitely unfortunate but not intentional.

http://video.tsn.ca/videohub.aspx?dl=nhl-latest/latest/1/0/864713/clip/70

• Like 2

@Polaris922

It damn sure looks like he finishes with his leg intending to pin Karlsson to the wall. I hate Matt Cooke with a passion but I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt on the intent to injure. I agree with the attempt to contain argument but the results of it could possibly get him a suspension. If Rinaldo had made the same hit, that same panel would have been screaming for his balls and you know it. Remember, Matt Cooke is reformed and playing for the Lady Bing this season......... <_<

• Like 1

@Polaris922

It damn sure looks like he finishes with his leg intending to pin Karlsson to the wall. I hate Matt Cooke with a passion but I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt on the intent to injure. I agree with the attempt to contain argument but the results of it could possibly get him a suspension. If Rinaldo had made the same hit, that same panel would have been screaming for his balls and you know it. Remember, Matt Cooke is reformed and playing for the Lady Bing this season......... <_<

I think he'd be in the same boat... people looking at the play MINUS the name would say it's a bad accident. People who hate RInaldo (as Cooke in this case) would be clamoring for his head. He is trying to pin Karlsson to the wall, but that's a legal check. A far cry from trying to slice his achiles.

• Like 1

Cooke did know his skate was up against Karlssons leg (top of boot) as he sliced downward. There wasn't an attempt made to lift his leg up an out over the boot.....just sayin.

I don't know, HF. I just think it is so much easier to make such statements from the couch and in super slow-mo (not criticising, I'm guilty as well). I mean, it's full-speed, two big bodies, the puck is there, he's turning his face the opposite way to shield against Karlsson's stick up by his head. In the moment, he may not even have been aware of his leg even being up. Probably more conciously aware of the stick.

I just think in the replay, because we all know Karlsson's about to be cut, our focus is on the legs. and the assumption gets made that the players must also be focusing on their skates. But I think that's a real jump. He's clearly in the middle of spinning his head away from the stick, so I'm reasonably certain he's not standing there thinking "my leg is in the air, now, if i hit him above the boot I'm going to cut him so I need to shift the momentum of my foot lower in mid-air and get him in the boot, thereby reducing the percentage chance I create an injury." Much less "my leg is in the air, I'm going to take the opportunity to damage him forever." I'm willing to bet anything, the only thing in his head at the moment, concsiously or otherwise, was "Stick! Face! Move face!"

• Like 1

I don't know, HF. I just think it is so much easier to make such statements from the couch and in super slow-mo (not criticising, I'm guilty as well). I mean, it's full-speed, two big bodies, the puck is there, he's turning his face the opposite way to shield against Karlsson's stick up by his head. In the moment, he may not even have been aware of his leg even being up. Probably more conciously aware of the stick.

I do think he was fully aware that his leg was up. I don't think Cooke delibertly attempted to cut Karlsson, but he made no attempt to keep his skate down either preventing a possible laceration also. I look at it this way.......I clear my steps and walkway from snow and ice preventing the chance that someone were to slip and fall.

Cooke skating into the boards with both skates on the ice prevents the chance that he could cut another player........

I clear my steps and walkway from snow and ice preventing the chance that someone were to slip and fall.

Yes, but do you do this at full speed and while colliding with someone and a hockey stick in your face? If so, I suggest you move out of Camden.

When i saw this replay I was wondering what on Karlsson was hurt, i mean it is apparent he was in pain but i didn't see the contact to his ankle until the 3rd time viewing it,

Karlsson is a good skater, significantly better than Cooke so the fact that Cooke was trying to pin him against the boards by any means necessary wasn't unjustified.

i didn't think the play was dirty last night don't think it was dirty today, I do think that because of Cooke's reputation he is being scrutinized very closely. I think if it were anyone else making Cooke's play there wouldn't be a question... until it happens again.

I don't know if Rinaldo has the reputation at the NHL level for trying to end guy's careers that Cooke has...or had. I don't think the hue and cry would be the same if Rinaldo administered that check rather than Cooke, Rinaldo does have better wheels than Cooke so maybe he's not as close to the edge of control as Cooke was on that play but again that's 100 % speculative.

@Polaris922

Forget Chris Neil. There are going to be calls for Cooke's head on a platter now. Get ready for....

"He intentionally tried to cut Karlsson!" (It was 1,000% accidental.)

"This was way worse than Pronger!" (Not even close.)

"How can you even compare this to Subban/Staal!" (I hope they don't mean Subban's reckless leg whip.)

Cooke's well earned reputation means this incident will get a lot more scrutiny and attention in the media, blogs, forums, etc (which I have no problem with - Cooke made his bed yadda yadda yadda) but no way in H E DOUBLE L that was intentional.

Now i wonder, how much of Pronger's rap sheet was piled on the way this will be piled on to Cookes ?

that's a fair question.

Now i wonder, how much of Pronger's rap sheet was piled on the way this will be piled on to Cookes ?

that's a fair question.

Not to pile on Pronger but it's not close i/m/h/o especially if you give Cooke a pass for this incident. If someone thinks Cooke's actions here were intentional then yes...he's fast approaching Chris Pronger territory.

@B21

oh I don't know, Cooke's reputation is still pretty bad around the league.I'd say he and Pronger probably occupy the same room in terms of douchebaggery. Maybe Cooke's seat isn't as good but he's easily in Pronger's *ahem* league.

@B21

oh I don't know, Cooke's reputation is still pretty bad around the league.I'd say he and Pronger probably occupy the same room in terms of douchebaggery. Maybe Cooke's seat isn't as good but he's easily in Pronger's *ahem* league.

Agree...but I think a lot of that has to do with Cooke's actions being a lot more recent and Pronger having been out for so long.

Ok so Cooke rode Karlsson into the boards on a clean hit. Cooke's skate comes up as they jostle into the boards and appears to cut the back of Karlsson's calf. No penalty as its a clear case of incidentals, much as Subban's skate slicing Staal's foot was deemed.

Chris Neil waits till 2 minutes left in the game then goes after Cooke. Cooke takes three decent punches to the chin with both having gloves on, and falls down. No real fight there, just Neil trying to make a point or whatever. Nobody bloodied or even hurt.

Neil gets a double minor roughing and a ten misconduct. Cooke gets a ten misconduct.

Just posting this to reinforce that Rinaldo is not the only one. ;).

Even though I think Matt Cooke is a Parasite,Coward and a whole lot of other names I cant say on here, NOT a suspendable or fineable offense. Goes to what I've been saying about rants on Rinaldo, far less dirty than a career dirty player in Cooke by the way IMO, Players should not be penalized,suspended or fined for a reputation, only for current incidents.

You can't tell me a professional hockey player does not have control over his skate. That was the dirtiest play I have seen in a long time.

He needs to pay for that.

Welcome to the site.

Your post will be moved to a thread that is all ready discusing the topic to here =>

another thread on the same basic topic is

Was Cooke trying to make a play to freeze the puck and Karlsson got in on him too quickly ? is he trying a little slew foot there that goes awry ? there's something that is too awkward about it for me to think he went into that play to ruin Karlsson's career.

Cooke's actions are curious , the more i look at this the less easy it is to make the right call about it, i wonder how shanny does it ?

:EDIT i added the slew foot comment.

Edited by mojo1917

I love good hard nasty hitting, but Cooke stomped Karlsson on his lower leg. Now it was bang bang but it looked like intent to me, and to not even have a hearing over it seems like B.S. to me. Cooke is a habitual abuser, he destroyed Savards career, now this with the best young blue liner in the game. The man is a menace and should be suspened until Karlsson comes back. I dont have a horse in this race, dont root for or against either team, but cmon, that was sickening to watch and for nothing to come of it is pathetic.

Yave, I agree with you. I don't really care about either of the teams but Cooke is dirty and it is SICKENING if they don't do something about it. I think the next game between the 2 is April 22. I may have to pencil it in to see if Sens take upon themselves. You can obviously see he added a little extra in the hit on his calf.

• Like 1